Keep My Nikon Setup Or Move On?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The r5 is on sale right now for 3900 and the z8 is 5400. Im in Canada so Canadian funds, 6k is my absolute max I’d be willing to spend, then I could sell my current gear to fill out things a bit more. Omds would be ideal but I don’t like the dark cloud above that companies head now that it was sold, and they seem to be still in survival mode.
If you’re into wildlife photography and don’t have unlimited funds, Nikon is the best choice—by several miles. There’s no meaningful difference in price between the Z8 and an R5, but the Z8 gives you a stacked sensor. And no other brand has anything comparable to Nikon’s telephoto lineup.
and the

The R5 is still a great camera and for the price difference between it and the Z8 you could upgrade your 100-400 to the 100-500mm.

Or you could go for the R6 mk II and the 200-800mm (it's been getting solid reviews) to make up for that extra reach.

Personally, I would avoid the miss-matched brand and body adapted lenns thing... too many things that can go wrong there.

P.S: I think we are hijacking the OPs thread :). Maybe this discussion should be moved on it's own thread?

I think in terms of photography I agree with others that you should build out your current Nikon kit.

For the GAS "problem ;)" why not look into adding a completely different system that let's you collect equipment and use it in a way that is completely different than your Nikon gear. Like adding a system that lets you use old vintage SLR lenses, or a system where you build out the smallest possible kit.. etc.

Sometimes I think GAS is more about people wanting to collect things (like people who collect stamps or baseball cards etc) then really adding capabilities to their kit. It doesn't even have to be $$ gear, just the excitement about finding something and adding it to your collecting scratches that itch :).

I have a 100-400 mk 2, 16-35 f4 and a 90d, I have gone through the pros and cons from almost every option. I don’t want to deal with the rolling shutter or shutter shock from the r7 and I loose to much reach with the inability to do deep crops with the r6 ii. But the r5 is currently on sale which has me thinking about it. I keep going back to a Fuji xh2s and adapting my lenses, stacked sensor faster read out speed so no rolling shutter, and zero black out, but lose auto focus accuracy. I wish the r7 was the xh2s with canons auto focus! I could also spend my entire budget on a z8 and adapter from fringer and just use my lenses until the 180-600 is more readily accessible and my hobby funds have recovered. Or do I pick up a 5d iv and a sigma 150-600 sport and at the end of the day I probably wouldn’t notice a difference in my photos! A d850 is also available local used with low shutter count and I could find a used 150-600 easily. I have couple really unique experiences available this fall for me, backpacking trip in Yukon to photograph fall sheep and goats, moose and mountain caribou. I’ve put my backpacking gear on a diet to make up for camera equipment. And a flight into northern remote Manitoba to a cabin with day trips out from it for moose. Sorry to take over this thread, I’m sure people are tired of seeing these questions and just want to make sure I see all pros and cons of my decisions.
I think the R5 is underrated and gets dismissed because it lacks a stacked sensor. It is a fantastic camera that is capable of using e shutter. It was released before the A1 and Z9 and still holds it own quite well. With your budget, I think it would fit well and the sale price makes it a good buy. The question whether the R5 or the Z8 makes more sense comes down to where you want to go with future lenses so that is where I’d recommend comparing the pros and cons of each.

I have GAS pretty bad so I am always buying new gear...
Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. ;)

Just as my former DSLR - Nikon D850 - was considered by many including myself to be the best all around DSLR, I think the Z8 (which both you and I use) is the best all around mirrorless. I did try a Sony for a while (and used a Canon R5 briefly on two occasions) and I could give a list of reasons why the Z8 is better for me, but I don't see the need. Bottom line is what you have is as good as it gets so just enjoy it.

The R5 is still a great camera and for the price difference between it and the Z8 you could upgrade your 100-400 to the 100-500mm.

Or you could go for the R6 mk II and the 200-800mm (it's been getting solid reviews) to make up for that extra reach.

Personally, I would avoid the miss-matched brand and body adapted lenns thing... too many things that can go wrong there.

P.S: I think we are hijacking the OPs thread :). Maybe this discussion should be moved on it's own thread?

The r5ii is so near, I feel one would have to see if it is the next big thing before buying the reduced price original. When it came out it was $3800 so I assume the mark ii will be in the $4k range. So it will have to compete with the z8 and probably the A1ii, which must be pretty near. Not to mention the Z9 is already long in tooth and should have an update within a year or two.

Competition is good.

I think the R5 is underrated and gets dismissed because it lacks a stacked sensor.
dismissed might be a bit of an overstatement, but personally i DO feel like stacked and traditional sensors are not direct comparables.

It is a fantastic camera that is capable of using e shutter. It was released before the A1 and Z9 and still holds it own quite well.
and this is true as well. but it also doesn’t really give you anything that you would ditch a z8, z9 or a1 for, nor would i pick it over a z8/z9 or a1.

just like the z6iii will likely be a great camera and do most of what most people need. but it won’t be a direct comparable to a z8/z9, but rather it will simply address the needs of a lot of people

dismissed might be a bit of an overstatement, but personally i DO feel like stacked and traditional sensors are not direct comparables.
The R5 has a relatively fast conventional sensor. The AF seems to keep up well with stacked sensors and the electronic shutter handles movement in many situations. The EVF isn’t as smooth as stacked sensors but it’s not bad in the traditional sense. Why don't you feel they are directly comparable?
and this is true as well. but it also doesn’t really give you anything that you would ditch a z8, z9 or a1 for, nor would i pick it over a z8/z9 or a1.

just like the z6iii will likely be a great camera and do most of what most people need. but it won’t be a direct comparable to a z8/z9, but rather it will simply address the needs of a lot of people
I agree with you on this but my response is to someone who is currently using a 90D and considering an R5 or Z8. While I think the Z8 is better the body itself isn’t enough to make me switch which is why I recommend looking at lens needs.

For me there are only 2 reasons to change, the first is carrying a heavier weight as one gets older, and the second is there is a vast difference between what you have and the latest manufacturers offerings, which may not produce a better photo anyway.

The r5 is on sale right now for 3900 and the z8 is 5400. Im in Canada so Canadian funds, 6k is my absolute max I’d be willing to spend, then I could sell my current gear to fill out things a bit more. Omds would be ideal but I don’t like the dark cloud above that companies head now that it was sold, and they seem to be still in survival mode.

and the

To me, the question is what lens/es you want to eventually end up shooting. The cameras are already close in function, and will likely remain that way, although I wouldn’t be too confident Canon will release a stacked sensor R5ii for $4k. But that’s beside the point.

In Canon’s world, you can either get the last generation non-mirrorless super telephotos + adapter, the current generation telephotos, or a slow zoom. I personally wouldn’t choose those options. In Nikon land, you can get a 400mm f4.5 for a little over $2k US. Or you can get a 600mm PF for, what $4500? Or you can get a 180-600 that is longer, faster, and cheaper than Canon’s 100-500. Again, to me, the decision would be easy.

Also, in the U.S., the Z8 and R5 can both be had used for under $3k.

Canon is a hard 3rd in my personal rankings these days.
IMO, having owned all of them...
If you want the best camera you buy a Sony
If you want the best wildlife lenses you buy a Nikon
Not any real reason to switch into a Canon right now. Also so close to R5II and maybe R1 release that probably no point switching out of Canon until those are known.

Canon is a hard 3rd in my personal rankings these days.
IMO, having owned all of them...
If you want the best camera you buy a Sony
If you want the best wildlife lenses you buy a Nikon
Not any real reason to switch into a Canon right now. Also so close to R5II and maybe R1 release that probably no point switching out of Canon until those are known.

For a cost-conscious photographer, I’d disagree. The larger expense will likely be the lens, not the camera, and there’s not been even a rumor that Canon will make something to rival Nikon’s less expensive set of telephotos. Given the rapidly declining value of non-mirrorless camera gear, I’d move to Nikon tomorrow, assuming you can find a good deal on a used Z8.

I think in a couple months folks here that chase the best will be clamoring to Canon. It's just their turn in the game of leapfrog. Remember the R5 started things off, then the A1. Nikon shooters were beside themselves with complaints about Nikon lagging behind. Now the R5 is due an upgrade and who knows what the R1 will be. For lenses Canon has always been the leader in pro lenses, but not as much for the mid priced buyer. For image quality you are not going to beat the 600 f4, the 800 f5.6, and the 1200 F8. For prosumer range the 200-800 is unique in that no other zoom gets to 800. With the slightly slower aperture being a nod to size and weight and price, not a mistake. The 100-500 is lightweight and good quality and image quality is not hurt by the 1.4x extender. Though annoying that it doesn't retract fully with the 1.4, it's not a game charger.

Last edited:
yes, i think it's important to understand that leapfrogging is just how things work and as long as you can get what you want, it typically isn't worth divesting from your current investment to chase the newest hotness. rather, you can wait, and eventually it will come to your brand.

I think my full system, complete leapfrogging days are over....famous last words....
I was certainly considering a full system switch from Sony to Nikon.
After trying the latest Nikon FW and seeing what features the A9III brought to the table, I've decided waiting for the A1II and giving up the dream of a built-in TC suits my type of shooting better.

Cameras leapfrogging each other is one thing. That’s expected. It’s quite another when you’re forced to shoot at f/7.1 at 500mm or f/9 at 600mm or pay $13k to shoot at 600mm f/4. That is an unnecessary choice that I wouldn’t be forced to make.

It is not the having, it is the getting . . . ;)
For macro, try a new horizon maybe, over and above the 105micro. Bellows, and / or the 5x -ZY Optics announces its Mitakon Creator 85mm F2.8 1-5X 'Super Macro' lens
Some interesting results if you are willing.
Keep the existing gear and go on a field trip to a wonderful destination with the extra funds burning, it is not really the gear, it is what you do with it and what you can see trough it that matters.

Almost word for word what my wife said XD Thankfully budget isn't a real issue, I have enough play money to be dumb clearly LOL. I think am gonna pull the trigger on a 105 mc and focus on that for a bit I think. I really do love most everything from Nikon. Just sadly alot of hate out there that clouds judgement alot of the time.
I have the Z 105 macro and it is really excellent lens for macro. Get it and you won’t regret it .

You and I are spirit animals. I was a long time Nikon shooter and made the switch to Canon in 2021, R5 and RF lenses. I’ve been really happy with Canon‘s offerings, but there are those times when I look at the Z9 and the Nikon lens lineup, same for Sony, and hover of the Buy button. I think Canon is currently lacking in the prosumer lenses and the ones they do have are a stop or two slower than Nikon and Sony’s comparable. Nikon has those sweet f/1.8 S primes that Canon has still yet to release. Their comparable are not L series and while really good, they are not the same as the S primes. The L primes are f/1.2 and quite large and expensive. Personally, I think Nikon has the better overall lens lineup right now, but I have want I want/need, at the moment, so it’s not enticing me to click that Buy button. Still, Canon and I are getting along really well so I haven’t found the trigger to break us up. I recently added a R6 Mark II to the herd and it has me really looking forward to the R5 Mark II coming this year. The one think I like about Canon is the compactness of the RF 100-500 L. This lens is really good, pairs well with a 1.4x, and travels in the smaller 22L Gura Gear bag rather than the 30L. I’m pretty amazed how much I can get in that 22L bag when I do photo travels.

I get satisfying the GAS; I have it bad, too. But in your situation, I would either wait for the R5 Mark II to be announced or I would pick more excellent Z glass to admire on the front of the beautiful Z8.

Back