Keep My Nikon Setup Or Move On?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Brand bashing seems like a hobby to a few people on this forum. They find the smallest differences and point to them like they are horrible shortcomings. I shoot Canon, will forever, love the R5. But I accept that some people have not seen the light. Plus it's fun to talk about what is new in photography from all the brands. Rising tide raises all ships as they say.

I could not find what your current set up does not do for you. .... Other than unwrapping something new. Here's an idea. Take a body and a couple of lenses and carefully wrap them up as though for shipping and then every other day unwrap one and go use it as though it were new. Then ask yourself, "am I glad I bought this?"

I'd wait and see what the Canon R5ii and R1 have to offer. The r5ii is supposed to be announced in May and in stores by July. It should be the next big thing for birds and wildlife. Otherwise I'd stay put. The z8 is equivalent to the current R5 so no real benefit, especially since you already have Nikon glass.
IMO the z8 is better than an R5. Same for the lines of lenses. But, remember, as soon as you change, there will be rumors of the z8ii or a z9ii; and after that a zX. I can't see moving to Sony for any reason. Dump the 200-500 for a 180-600, a big improvement, and you don't need the extra 24-70. But a Hasselblad would be fun for landscapes, if I didn't have a spouse who would notice, but I'd still keep my Nikon gear.

The debate here is on the 'why" you are considering switching brands. You already have quite a dream line-up, so I think that selling your current inventory would be painful on the budget. Personally, I think I would deepen my understanding of my current gear (whichever brand it is) and maybe spend the lost value i would incur if I sold off in a couple of lenses that would help me get better at my focus subjects, seems you would enjoy a very long telephoto and a prime macro, which are a bit on the expensive side, but not as much as switching brands. Between Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, it's pretty much top quality, and the rationale for switching, unless your area of work demands that you deal with one specific brand, like if you are part of a team of photographer that share a glass park, I think that the effort of switching brands may be a steep learning curve too. Finally, if you can afford a switch, well, then the checklist for choosing an alternate needs to be quite extensive ! Good luck.

You already have the latest, best equipment which you have invested considerable coin. If you perceive a vast technical advance, I think you will be disappointed. Relearning a new menu and ecosystem and mussel memory to be able to master the new hardware will take effort, instead of taking pictures to the same level you know the Z system today. If you do move, I hope the new kit has training support as Steve provides for the Nikon.

I wish there was training support for Canon's. However my neighbour is probably the only teacher I need as he's a semi retired photographer but has only done people, never nature. Would love to see a photo of your setup / equipment.

I purchased the Sony A7RV for landscape photograph and it works well for that purpose. I have tested it for wildlife and it cannot compare to a stacked-sensor camera. I thought I could use it as a Sony A1 backup but it cannot keep up. Love the 61 MG pixels and it does well for stationary subjects, but the EVF cannot keep up when shooting BIF so I loose track of the subject because the A7RV blackouts out so I miss many shoot since I cannot see them in the EVF. Best to wait for the next gen Sony A1 mark II. I agree with the comment about changing your glass. I too have struggled with Nikon (Z9) and as a second camera purchased the Sony A1. Nikon struggles with BIF and Sony is better, but I recently purchased the Nikon 400 4.5 and was amazed with how much better BIF was versus was 800 pf. Field of view improves BIF at shorter distances. I find 400mm works best and with a high quality prime and 50 MG pixel camera you can always crop.

to stick it out or move to an R5 or a A7RV.

My current setup is
Z8
Z7

24-70 2.8 Z
24-70 4 Z
85 1.4 F
70-200 F
200-500 5.6

I shoot a lot of different things anything from weddings to wildlife. However wildlife/macro is my passion.
The Z8 is a leading camera for all the wildlife and macro, while your Z7 is still excellent for all genres, except active subjects, where the Z8 is significantly better.
The Z8 gives the most affordable access to a stacked sensor MILC with clean EVF footage at ridiculously high frame rates, plus PreCapture and much more.

As suggested above - buy a 70-180 f2.8 Z for your macro photography. A 300 f4E PF is also an excellent lens for close up subjects. Both these pair well with their respective Teleconverters.

Perhaps add the 14-30 f4 for landscapes or upgrade to the best in its class Ultra Zoom, the 14-24 f2.8S. While you're at it, get a 24-120 f4S, the finest "Street Sweeper" in Nikon's long career serving photojournalists and travellers..... landscapes too.

This thread is one of the many in BCG that pay to re read....

For wildlife subjects at distance, there're many choices in telephotos, one's pile of funds set the limits..... As do airline baggage police, and the strength to carry and deploy big glass.

I use the 100-400 S or better the 180-400 f4E TC14 (often on my D6) primarily for larger mammals, with a Z9 on a 800mm, 1000mm or longer TC-combos for tighter framing and/or reach. A 70-200 f2.8 or 70-180 f2.8 can also be very useful at times.

To minimize hiking weight of a Commando Kit..... The choices across the Greater Nikon Ecosystem include: 300 PF, 500 PF, 400 f4.5S, 600 f6.3S PF, 100-400 S, 180-600. With ZTC14 and ZTC2.

Much ink has been spilled across forums and around campfires over these 'Which Gear?' Questions, including camera updates and 'Which Telephoto?' etc...

https://bcgforums.com/threads/which-nikon-telephoto-s-for-wildlife-genres-updated.17729/post-197416

I am in a "tough" spot right now. First world problems. I have GAS pretty bad so I am always buying new gear I have a really nice Nikon setup right now and am trying to decide if I want to stick it out or move to an R5 or a A7RV. I know it might sound kind of dumb but that's just how my brain works I get focused on an idea and then make a dumb move. I am trying to get others thoughts to maybe avoid that this time around.

My current setup is
Z8
Z7
24-70 2.8 Z
24-70 4 Z
85 1.4 F
70-200 F
200-500 5.6

I shoot a lot of different things anything from weddings to wildlife. However wildlife/macro is my

I am in a "tough" spot right now. First world problems. I have GAS pretty bad so I am always buying new gear I have a really nice Nikon setup right now and am trying to decide if I want to stick it out or move to an R5 or a A7RV. I know it might sound kind of dumb but that's just how my brain works I get focused on an idea and then make a dumb move. I am trying to get others thoughts to maybe avoid that this time around.

My current setup is
Z8
Z7
24-70 2.8 Z
24-70 4 Z
85 1.4 F
70-200 F
200-500 5.6

I shoot a lot of different things anything from weddings to wildlife. However wildlife/macro is my passion. It was only recently that I was able to make money in wildlife which was an awesome feeling.

I attached a few recent photos I had sell at auction.
Switching brands you will no doubt take GAS with you.

You need to get cured.

Camera gear (tools) will always be a little different as technology evolves, a bit like smart phones always out with a new better version, new tricks and features always pop up to make a point of difference to temp us to buy.

Camera gear are just tools, they haven't changed in the fundamental principal of using primarily a combination of time light and speed then record the image.
Making a photo is what counts, a photo should communicate a message or tell a story, engage the viewer, evoke emotion, be technically sound and have a wow factor.

90% of what we often achieve in photography comes usually from the person behind the viewfinder and 10% from the gear (tools), why do we often become obsessed with the gear (tools)

Date the camera marry the glass as Steve said.

Today brand (A) is the number one, soon its Brand (B) thereafter it will be (C), and the wheel goes on.

When you can use almost any tool in any brand and achieve excellent outcomes that's a real measure to respect, we can then harness or measure what useful benefits new or different tools can actually do for us.

I stay with Nikon because service for me is down the road, also l love the colour over Sony or Canon, that's a personal thing i guess.

I wish Nikon will bring out in the A7III 60 mp or more. Small size and high resolution is on my menu as in my case i also like to shoot wide and corp.

Always rent before you buy is my motto.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Just to be clear way earlier in the thread, I agreed and said I would be staying with Nikon and purchased more glass. Thanks for everyone's input.

Even given a serious case of GAS, of I which I have the greatest of empathy, I think this was a wise move. Timing is everything.

Nikon has been the most recent mover in the top-level camera category with the Z8/9. There is only one comparable camera to the Z8 right now--the A1--and that would be a lateral move.

Given its recent mover status, it will be hard to beat the Z8 right now...And, the minute you make the move to, say the A1 or the R3 or 5, the Mark ii versions of these or the R1 would pop up and leave you stranded.

I say, keep your powder dry. 😤

Just to be clear way earlier in the thread, I agreed and said I would be staying with Nikon and purchased more glass. Thanks for everyone's input.
We often don't get to read every reply, many people tend to express their view or respond to the original post or headline or respond to others feed back and opinions, it ends up a bit of a think tank, it may still go on for several more pages LOL.

Its good how we share and learn i guess, knowledge is priceless.

Glad you have gotten something out of all this, there has been some valuable and helpful diverse information come out it all.

All the best and hope you get free of GAS.

Even given a serious case of GAS, of I which I have the greatest of empathy, I think this was a wise move. Timing is everything.

Nikon has been the most recent mover in the top-level camera category with the Z8/9. There is only one comparable camera to the Z8 right now--the A1--and that would be a lateral move.

Given its recent mover status, it will be hard to beat the Z8 right now...And, the minute you make the move to, say the A1 or the R3 or 5, the Mark ii versions of these or the R1 would pop up and leave you stranded.

I say, keep your powder dry. 😤
Excellent well said, i like it.

Hence for the sometimes little differences from each new model release i find focusing more or investing more in my skill sets in composition, creativity and story telling seems to be very rewarding.

Changing models, brands or updating needs to for myself have to have a seriously tangible quantum benefit, mainly i find the glass is the only real thing to invest in.

I have gone in the last 2 years from previously owning expensive exotic glass to just having a basic kit of F2.8 glass in the wholly trio with a push pull 200-500, was the Z9 now the Z8, i now rent or in cases when possible borrow as needed, its because i don't use all the time one specific tool as often to justify purchase.

Nikon for me is only down the road so to speak.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Back