L Bracket for Nikon Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I do a lot of landscape photography, so having a good l-bracket is basically a necessity. I typically remove it if I am not going to be using a tripod.
I would not say it's a necessity as flopping my ballhead 90º works too. But it's certainly way more convenient if you're in portrait orientation a lot. I rarely take the plate off as it never really 'gets in the way' of where I put my hands (unlike an L Bracket - ugh - it just doesn't feel right to me). So yeah I'd be taking it off and probably leaving it off most of the time. Plus, I use a wrist strap when I'm walking about and I prefer it to be attached to the plate and not a camera lug. I know I'm in the minority as most folks seem to prefer L brackets but I'm good with the 'old fashioned' low profile, not in the way plate....:) Looks like the RRS L bracket fits great, no surprise there....enjoy it!

I have the Leofoto L-bracket but also ordered the Kirk plate as I don't like to keep L-brackets on my cameras but a plate is essential for using my Black Rapid strap because I need the QD hole to attach the strap. The Kirk plate is due in tomorrow. At that time I will switch to the plate. I like an L-bracket for landscape photos on a tripod.

I have the Leofoto L-bracket but also ordered the Kirk plate as I don't like to keep L-brackets on my cameras but a plate is essential for using my Black Rapid strap because I need the QD hole to attach the strap. The Kirk plate is due in tomorrow. At that time I will switch to the plate. I like an L-bracket for landscape photos on a tripod.
I rely on the QD connector as well (along with my Peak Desigh shoulder strap), but I'm always using the one that's on my lens foot. I can't remember the last time I used the QD slot in the plate that I have on my camera (but it has happened ;) )

I rely on the QD connector as well (along with my Peak Desigh shoulder strap), but I'm always using the one that's on my lens foot. I can't remember the last time I used the QD slot in the plate that I have on my camera (but it has happened ;) )
I've removed my Peak Design from my Z8 for safety reasons and will only use the BR strap. I know chances are small for a disaster with the PD but I've traded in most of my DSLR camera to come up with the $4K to buy the Z8, so mostly all I have is my 3 Z cameras and a D5. Can't afford to replace the Z8 now. So far I'm not super happy with the Z8 and considering sending it back, but it's too late to retrieve my D55, D850, and D810 (plus most of my F-mount lens) At 77 I'm finding the Z8 too much of a challenge to use with confidence. It keeps losing focus and changing settings unexpectedly. Too much invested in it now to change over to Sony.

I received my Z8 a few days ago and wanted an Arca-Swiss style L bracket that I could get quickly. I ordered a universal bracket on B&H by Desmond called the DAL-1 that sells for just under twenty bucks. It arrived just now and seems very solid; a sturdy one piece design that is quite rigid. The bottom has three long slots with the mounting screw in the middle slot (long so you can slide it to fit various cameras). However the forward position of the tripod thread on the Z8 means with the screw in the middle slot it sits a bit forward on the camera. I discovered there is an indentation (in the center of the middle slot and on the ends of the outer slots) that allows you to unscrew the mounting screw and move it to any of the three slots. I moved from the center slot to the front slot, which pushed the entire bracket back so that it lines up perfectly on the body.

It does cover the side ports, which I don't need, but if you need them that is an issue. If you don't, how can you go wrong for twenty bucks? I put it on my RRS ballhead and it's a perfect fit. My only gripe is the box it came in was wrapped in shrinkwrap which is unnecessary and a waste of plastic. I will probably buy the SmallRig bracket to use down the line, not because it's stronger than this one, but becuase it covers the entire bottom and acts as an extension of the body, which is beneficial for my large hands. In the meantime, this will work fine.

Z8 w DAL bracket 4.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Z8 w DAL bracket 2.jpg

Z8 w DAL bracket 1.jpg

I got my RRS L-bracket for my Z8 today! It fits nice and snug and allows good access to all the requisite buttons and compartments.

View attachment 65987View attachment 65988View attachment 65984View attachment 65985View attachment 65986
Looks great, thanks for sharing. I ordered mine but not immediately so I expect it will be at least a few weeks. I thought about the Kirk but decided I wanted the two separate pieces as most of the time I don't really need the side component.

Just received my RRS L bracket for my Z8 today. Looks nice, but I shipped my Z8 off to Nikon yesterday for the service notice inspection and repair, so I can’t try it out yet. (My travel schedule had kept me from sending the Z8 in earlier. Hope Nikon takes a look at the strap lugs while they have the Z8 — not aware of a problem, but I have not been using them.)

I have been using a generic RRS plate (not an L bracket) on the Z8 which has generally worked well. And for longer lenses there is always the lens foot.

Received the RRS L-bracket for Z 8 on 7/20 (pre-ordered 6/23). Nice fit, plenty of room to get to the connectors on left side. New: hex wrench attaches to bracket via spring clips rather than magnet.

I ordered the Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-bracket on Monday. It's not listed on their U.S. website. You have to go to their Chinese site to see photos of the product. To order it, you need to contact [email protected]. They will send you a PayPal invoice for the amount, currently $40 with the discount, no tax, no shipping charges. They didn't send it out until Wednesday, but it is due to arrive from Louisiana on Tuesday. I have a few other Leofoto products--I have 4 tripods and 7 different heads, so I use their tripod head QR plates and they've worked well for me. I'll update when I receive the L-bracket. Too bad I don't have it already. I have a photo gig this weekend and it would have been handy and less bulky than the SmallRig cage I have on my Z8 right now.

I just received my Leofoto L bracket. I originally ordered it as a bridge to a RRS or Kirk. I also am impressed with it. Fit is great. Still have access to doors, flaps, buttons.

I received the Smallrig L bracket today and it fits fine.
It has a QD port which is a bonus to me.
It's modular so I can remove the side part and just have a base plate.
The little swinging latch for access to the battery is novel - yet to see how effective it is in practice.

£50 from Amazon UK inc. next day delivery.

I ordered the Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-bracket on Monday. It's not listed on their U.S. website. You have to go to their Chinese site to see photos of the product. To order it, you need to contact [email protected]. They will send you a PayPal invoice for the amount, currently $40 with the discount, no tax, no shipping charges. They didn't send it out until Wednesday, but it is due to arrive from Louisiana on Tuesday. I have a few other Leofoto products--I have 4 tripods and 7 different heads, so I use their tripod head QR plates and they've worked well for me. I'll update when I receive the L-bracket. Too bad I don't have it already. I have a photo gig this weekend and it would have been handy and less bulky than the SmallRig cage I have on my Z8 right now.
Thanks for the tip, just ordered this ($40.00) using the email address suggested for the wife as she just got her Z8 this week after two failed attempts with NPS. :mad: She was finally able to purchase thru BestBuy without issue.😁

Leofoto suggested using this email address though [email protected] if anyone else is interested in this deal.

I have other Leofoto products and think they are good value and quality.

Last edited:
I ordered my SmallRig L Bracket from their Ebay store and it only took one week to get to my home in Arizona (USA). I was expecting longer (I think it comes from China, correct?).

(I previously posted an inexpensive generic L Bracket that I bought as a stopgap, but I haven't had a chance to use my new Z8 yet so it turns out I didn't need that. Oh well, it was only twenty bucks.)

I think I said this before, but SmallRig is a better fit FOR ME than the pricier Kirk and RRS models because it goes all the way across the botton and matches the curve of the grip perfectly. Essentially it acts as an extension of the body to make it just a bit taller, which is preferable for my large hands. With the SmallRig attached (see photo) my pinky rests on it, whereas with it removed my pinky hangs below the body. If I used the Kirk or RRS versions I would have the same issue (pinky falling below) because theirs stop short of the battery compartment.

If you have smaller hands you probably prefer the shorter plate, but if you have large hands you may find (as I do) the SmallRig is a comfortable fit.

Z8 w SmRig bracket 1.jpg

Received the Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-bracket today. It looks and functions as well as any Kirk or Three-Legged Thing (I also have both these brands) and is almost identical to the SmallRig L-bracket. There are a few differences though. It fits incredibly well and the finish is better than expected--it actually appears to be anodized and not simply painted black. I like the slide-out feature of the vertical plate that gives room for cables. The QD has what looks to be a stainless steel insert. I couldn't tell from photos of the SmallRig L-bracket if the QD socket had an insert or not. I thought the piece on the bottom that swings out of the way for the battery door to open was spring-loaded, but it is not. It remains open when you swing it out of the way and snaps back closed when you push it back. I like having a hex key instead of the slotted screw--easier to tighten or remove, and the magnet holds the hex key securely. And, if I want to remove the vertical part of the L-bracket, I can use the same hex key. With the SmallRig, you'll need to located the correct hex key since it doesn't use slotted screws. Same 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 holes and locations as the SmallRig. The only thing I notice that's missing on both the Leofoto and the SmallRig are safety stops on the Arca plates. So far, I'm pretty happy with this purchase.

BTW, I'm not a shill for this company, I just like their products.

IMG_2249.png
IMG_2251.png
IMG_2252.png

I also got the Leofoto L bracket today. I have always used RRS L brackets on my DSLRs, but decided to give this one a try for $40. I'm impressed with it, we will see how it holds up to the abuse I put my camera through. But so far I am very happy with this product. I don't see a reason to switch it to RRS/Kirk.

Received the Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-bracket today. It looks and functions as well as any Kirk or Three-Legged Thing (I also have both these brands) and is almost identical to the SmallRig L-bracket. There are a few differences though. It fits incredibly well and the finish is better than expected--it actually appears to be anodized and not simply painted black. I like the slide-out feature of the vertical plate that gives room for cables. The QD has what looks to be a stainless steel insert. I couldn't tell from photos of the SmallRig L-bracket if the QD socket had an insert or not. I thought the piece on the bottom that swings out of the way for the battery door to open was spring-loaded, but it is not. It remains open when you swing it out of the way and snaps back closed when you push it back. I like having a hex key instead of the slotted screw--easier to tighten or remove, and the magnet holds the hex key securely. And, if I want to remove the vertical part of the L-bracket, I can use the same hex key. With the SmallRig, you'll need to located the correct hex key since it doesn't use slotted screws. Same 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 holes and locations as the SmallRig. The only thing I notice that's missing on both the Leofoto and the SmallRig are safety stops on the Arca plates. So far, I'm pretty happy with this purchase.
I also received this item this week. I could not agree more on the quality and finish of this item.

I tried to order the Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-bracket today via Leofoto's website chat and was told I couldn't because this item was sold in China only. How was everyone able to order this item? Thanks!

I tried to order the Leofoto LPN-Z8 L-bracket today via Leofoto's website chat and was told I couldn't because this item was sold in China only. How was everyone able to order this item? Thanks!
That is a good question. I got my SmallRig from China through Ebay, but when I searched Ebay just now I could not find the Leofoto for Z8. The Leofoto USA site also does not have the L bracket for Z8, though they have one for Z9, Z6ii/Z7ii. Hopefully someone above will guide you to an order link (though my advice is just order the SmallRig now, which I am quite happy with).

Do they have an eBay storefront? Similarly, when I went to SmallRig's website they didn't list the Z8's L-bracket anywhere. I reached out to them and they said they're no longer listing or selling L-brackets from their main website any more (for some odd reason). They directed me to their eBay store, I ordered and had mine in about a week from China. $45 total. I also have their L-bracket for my Z6II, excellent products!

Back