L Bracket for Nikon Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This morning from China?

This morning from Saint Rose, Louisiana - I think that's in the USA.

It's interesting that Leofoto can ship this to Canada for $15 via the US Postal Service - while RRS charges in excess of $100 for the same shipping.

The Leofoto LPN-Z8 is now shipping - US$49.99

I do not see where it is available to purchase anywhere yet

Interesting design choices. I personally prefer the larger style of the two cheaper Chinese options, though some with smaller hands may prefer the smaller style of the two American options. I would prefer to buy American (my tripod and ball head are RRS), but as someone with big hands I think the added grip size of SmallRig works better for me.

1) Really Right Stuff (USA): $200
Base plate of L bracket stops before battery opening (does not cover entire bottom of camera)
2) Kirk Enterprises (USA): $130
Base plate of L bracket stops before battery opening (does not cover entire bottom of camera)
3) Leofoto (China): $???
Base plate of L bracket covers entire bottom with opening for battery and lever that swings out
4) SmallRig (China): $46.20
Base plate of L bracket covers entire bottom with opening for battery and lever that swings out

The Leofoto bracket is $49.99 (less with their current 20% off promo)

I don't particularly like buying products from China, but RRS and Kirk don't want to sell to Canada so the choices are limited until a retailer like B&H gets their products in stock... and

Last edited by a moderator:
As it turns out, Kirk just called to confirm my order went through.

@Rogereh Yes, the Kirk servers are temporarily down.

@Geoff_G I told him about your situation. And he said to keep calling and when you get through they will cross reference your order and get you on the list to re-order.

Further information: They are processing re-orders in small batches.......so if you got the email yesterday but haven't received an email yet today with the link to re-order, be patient. It is coming.
Thanks Karen,
I've sent an email to Kirk, so we'll see what unfolds...

Interesting design choices. I personally prefer the larger style of the two cheaper Chinese options, though some with smaller hands may prefer the smaller style of the two American options. I would prefer to buy American (my tripod and ball head are RRS), but as someone with big hands I think the added grip size of SmallRig works better for me.

Base plate of L bracket covers entire bottom with opening for battery and lever that swings outT\

Three legged thing base place of L bracket stops before the battery opening and does not cover the entire bottom of the camera

IMG_3867.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I used the "live chat" message app on the Leofoto USA home page, and they sent me an invoice for the L-bracket. Mine is on its way this morning. :)
I used the live chat as you suggested, they sent me a PayPal invoice and verified my address, 20% off today for Prime day special and this L-Bracket is on its way. And even better news, Nikon updated my Z8 service with shipping info and UPS says it should be here Friday, it would be great if somehow the Leofoto L-Bracket arrived same day.

Last edited:
As it turns out, Kirk just called to confirm my order went through.

@Rogereh Yes, the Kirk servers are temporarily down.

@Geoff_G I told him about your situation. And he said to keep calling and when you get through they will cross reference your order and get you on the list to re-order.

Further information: They are processing re-orders in small batches.......so if you got the email yesterday but haven't received an email yet today with the link to re-order, be patient. It is coming.
FYI:
I got a reply from Jeff at Kirk and they are out of stock on the plates but should have more in next week.
L brackets were not mentioned.
Thankfully 'plan B' works for right now....thanks again!

Last edited:
For the record, RRS is made in the US. In addition to their photographic products, they are the gold-standard for long-range rifle shooters. If your'e a Level I sniper for our Special Forces, you own an RRS Soar product or dream about having one. The shortage has much to do to the demand for the Soar products which use the same three components: carbon fiber, billet and machine time.

3) Leofoto (China): $49.99
Keep in mind the Kirk Price is an early order "discount" price, not sure where these will eventually settle. I would also add to the description above the following

You forgot to include the new 3 Legged Thing Dedicated L Bracket

Some other observations:
  • both the Kirk and 3 Legged thing are solid L Brackets; whereas the RRS, SmallRig and Leofoto are all 2-piece sliding brackets.
  • The Leofoto and Smallrig both have full bases offering additional grip surface for really large hands at the expense of making battery replacement a bit more cumbersome
  • RRS, Kirk and 3 Legged Thing have 3/4 length base plates that do not cover or hinder the battery door.
  • The SmallRig uses a slot screw for attaching to camera while all the others are using a hex screw.
  • Only the 3 Legged Thing does NOT offer a QD slot, all the others do.
  • RRS and Kirk do not offer a 1/4-20 hole in the L bracket for accessories, all the others do.

I was able to get the Leofoto L Bracket for 40 bucks with the 20% discount applied at LeofotoUSA. It's not showing on their page yet but if you use that chat box you can tell them you're interested in the Nikon Z 8 L bracket and you'd like them to apply the 20% discount so it sells for 49.99 and the discount is 9.99 so the total is $40.00 and shipping is free in the USA and no tax. Only thing I don't like is the part that goes around the battery, other than that I like it better than the Kirk, the Leofoto has 1/4 and 3/8 accessory ports and like the Kirk a QD port. What I like better about the Leofoto design is the mounting screw isn't slotted you can move out the vertical part with a separate screw. On the Kirk the camera mounting screw is in a slotted hole, I carry my camera using the QD port and I'm afraid that the screw may come loose when carrying the camera and the camera moving back and forth at my side. For 40 bucks I figured I'd give it a shot, I can always wait and see what ProMediaGear comes out with later this summer.
Lbracket 30.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I was able to get the Leofoto L Bracket for 40 bucks with the 20% discount applied at LeofotoUSA. It's not showing on their page yet but if you use that chat box you can tell them you're interested in the Nikon Z 8 L bracket and you'd like them to apply the 20% discount so it sells for 49.99 and the discount is 9.99 so the total is $40.00 and shipping is free in the USA and no tax. Only thing I don't like is the part that goes around the battery, other than that I like it better than the Kirk, the Leofoto has 1/4 and 3/8 accessory ports and like the Kirk a QD port. What I like better about the Leofoto design is the mounting screw isn't slotted you can move out the vertical part with a separate screw. On the Kirk the camera mounting screw is in a slotted hole, I carry my camera using the QD port and I'm afraid that the screw may come loose when carrying the camera and the camera moving back and forth at my side. For 40 bucks I figured I'd give it a shot, I can always wait and see what ProMediaGear comes out with later this summer.View attachment 65532

I totally missed that it has a different bottom...I think I like it better also. I'm thinking I may just cut thatextension around the battery off. I like it better than the Kirk also, because it really resembles the older modular Kirk brackets like I have on my Z7. I sometimes like to remove the "L" section and just leave the bottom plate on.
And the BEST news is my Z8 is arriving tomorrow (a week early, was due after the 18th).

Kirk has plenty of L-brackets for $130, but had a system problem with the orders. Here was their email to people who placed an order which will now be refunded.

Hello everyone, this is Kenton from Kirk Enterprises, we have some information that you will need to read. During the opening orders for the BL-Z8 and PZ-189 we experienced some website troubles and due to these troubles all of our invoicing had gotten messed up. So we will be refunding every customer for the full purchase amount (product + shipping) who had placed an order. If you are a customer who placed multiple orders, due to the site saying to try again, we will be refunding all of the orders. A new “hidden” product page will be created for you to replace the refunded order. Do not worry about us selling out as this product page will ONLY be given to individuals who placed an order that successfully went though. A link will be sent, via email, once we get everyone refunded. If you are receiving this email you are an individual that had an order that was successfully placed. Thank you for understanding and staying a customer through these rough patches.

Please Note: If the future email does not appear with the link please check spam/trash.

I totally missed that it has a different bottom...I think I like it better also. I'm thinking I may just cut thatextension around the battery off. I like it better than the Kirk also, because it really resembles the older modular Kirk brackets like I have on my Z7. I sometimes like to remove the "L" section and just leave the bottom plate on.
And the BEST news is my Z8 is arriving tomorrow (a week early, was due after the 18th).
Yeah that part around the battery is the only thing I don’t like but maybe I’ll get use to it, It adds a little more support at the bottom of the grip and gives you a little more protection in case you bump into something. Also it was only 40 bucks after the discount and if I don’t like it I can see what ProMediaGear comes out with, the Kirk is a pretty bare bones bracket, the bracket from Leophoto has a lot more accessory ports and anti slip rubber on the base and PMG L brackets also have a lot of ports for accessories. Also the experience on the Leophoto website was night and day compared to Kirk. On LeophotoUSA I used the chat asked about the Z 8 bracket and if they would add the 20% discount and they sent me an invoice right way and already shipped the bracket with USPS for free as compared to the 18 bucks shipping on Kirk

I was thinking the same about cutting off the portion around the battery plate.

I think I'd rather have one that doesn't cover the battery door,
It probably does not fully partly cover the battery door ;)
The illustration indicates a part that can be hinged out, similar to the one on the Smallrig, between the battery housing and where the lens mount would be.
This part should hinge out so that the battery door can be fully opened .
The battery can be exchanged without taking the L bracket off - though nimble fingers are needed and changing the battery takes about an extra 10 seconds with the L bracket in place.

I took Smallrig to task for not mentioning this with early copies. They have now made a short video to better explain how to use this type of L bracket.

I got the SmallRig L braket for the Z8 today and think it well made and I'm very satisfied. Normally I purchase Kirk or RRS brackets then I hardly use them, they mostly sit in the closet. This SmallRig will work fine for me, I do have one complaint (which is no big deal) it could have rounder corners so its not to sharp feeling in the hands. However the only time I use it will be on a tripod so it's a non-issue for me. All in all for under $60 vs 3 times as much it's a no brainer for me! YMMV

I just got the private email link to the Kirk plate I tried to purchase Monday. They're treating folks who were caught up in the Monday fiasco well - upgrading shipping from FedEx ground to 2 day at no extra charge. I even got an email confirmation!

I very much appreciate that Kirk is still making a [comparatively thin] dedicated plate for the Z8 and not a combo plate - L bracket assembly.

Back