New to the Z8 -- please check the manual before stating Y or Y is broken or asking a simple question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason why some might be short on patience is not because some contributors might need assistance - we all do in various ways - but that some contributors start complaining about the camera as if does not work or suggesting that there must be some generic problem with its focusing system etc, when in some instances it is more likely that it is user error or user inexperience that is at fault. In addition, some are perhaps a bit lacking in proactivity when it comes to taking out the camera manual and trying to solve the problem by themselves.
I get that, and I'm sure a lot of people did that really on when they started out got high end gear the first time. Those people will always be there needing that help. If done are not happy to help they should just move on and ignore the thread, pretty simple. No one in any forum is so important that they should feel the need to answer every question in a forum

Exactly. And it is the second of these that is very often the real problem. People should learn how to use their cameras first, before jumping to the conclusion that their autofocus is broken or Nikon are crap for focusing when they are clearly not using the correct settings.

This may very well be; however, after 5 pages of contributions in this thread alone, there doesn’t seem to be a forum construct that could be suggested and implemented that would prevent the above from occurring. The problem is certainly not limited to photography or even to online fora. People are gonna people. Someone said it best in a previous post (and I’m paraphrasing): social media is what it is and tolerating it is pretty much the only option.

The problem is that, before too long, the forum won't be dominated with Z8 questions but rather with questions about another camera and lens. It's overflowing at the moment because of the new Z8 shooters, but a dedicated forum would wither and die in a a few months. An FAQ thread might work, but, honestly are there that many repeated threads? (Honest question - I've been away and haven't spent as much time here as I normally do).
I like it as it is.

Maybe one solution is to have a sub-forum for "absolute beginners". I think the issue is not "dumb" questions - the issue is asking questions that could easily be and should be answered by actually reading the relevant handbooks that come with the respective cameras.

There is however a secondary problem - namely that a user interprets a problem arising out of their inability to use or infamilarity with their camera as being evidence of a systemic problem with the camera and/or brand in its own right.
Maybe there is a place for those who have deep levels of expertise and passion for the extreme technical aspects or almost laboratory engineering level discussions, which, is well over the heads of many or most people. That's great to be like that, but it does often isolate others who do the smart thing and simply pass over it, or if there is to much of it sadly they may move onto a more user friendly forum.

People look for or participate in those forums or channels that they are interested in, understand, and get helps or advice from above all don't feel overwhelmed in.

Is having a level or grade for expertise say grade 1, 2, 3, a good idea or option who knows, i don't know what the answer is...........yet.

Or is there even an issue - concern, or is it just a perception.

Maybe if one wants to dance in supper sophisticated technical aspects the brilliant Thom Hogan is a good fit LOL.

The only real risk say in this forum is if its all to scientific or super technical it may drive or keep some potentially new people away, maybe not ?

There are always problems - challenges of understanding or learning to deal with change.

Lets face it at the moment or recently we are all experiencing significant change with steep learning curves for the majority of people, for some its a walk in the park, added to that we have had to deal with some real manufacturer quality reliability issues to boot.

People look mostly for help, understating, assurance, guidance, be it technique, settings, options, gear choices, photography tips and tricks, solutions.

I think the forum is great the way it is and the more i reflect, encouraging new comers is very important.

The golden rule is if you don't like something pass it by, I do when i see the depth of video science discussions that don't interest me, but i don't call for mediation or complain.

I look at the galleries of some photographers who have all the exotic gear and technical expertise and all the access to quality subjects, yet the photographs are basically record snap shots.

Have a look at Brad Hills Gallery of nature and wild life photography http://www.naturalart.ca/galleries/animalscapes/index.html that's what it should be more about, did he use a D3s D4 D5 D6 Z9 ? all are consistent evocative meaningful photographs, something many of us could learn from.

In our club and some others i visit we are seeing some B Grade new members killing some of the A grade expert members, and their in cases doing it with a D300 D700 150-600 Sigma and such, they have done it with composition and light, they haven't been caught up in the GAS, thankfully.

Only an opinion

Only an opinion

That is just my approach - I wouldnt necessarily generalise it to the wider community. If I saw that a person had made a genuine effort to find a solution or that their question was not something that could be answered through the available documentation, I would certainly help if I could.

What bugs me more is when a person concludes that camera xyz is somehow generally deficient or problematic rather than first ruling out the very real possibility of user error.
98% of issues are often traced back to user error, i was told by NIKON that so many of the issues they have to deal with are simply user error, so in that degree 100% and i have said it all along reading the manual is really important and helps so much, but only to a degree for many people. Next best thing is the internet U TUBE Forums.

Suggesting people should read their user manual in the first place is a good suggestion well intended, but it may not be the solution always, if the user doesn't know what to look for.

The first thing we do with club members having issues is provide guidance but encourage them to read their manual as often as they can, but we are also here to help, always.

Only an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back