NIKKOR 800 PF 6.3 Lens Filter???

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I understand that there may be a rerelease of the Nikon 800 PF 6.3. I have put it back in my "bag" to get in on the list. I went to look for a Neutral Filter to protect the front lens element, and could not find anything??? I am aware about the internal filter, but I want to protect my lens. I have messaged Nikon weeks ago and still no reply. I'm hoping someone here has the lens and can walk me off a ledge if I have to spend $7K for a lens and have no way to protect it.
Thanx GM

I don't know anyone that makes a front end filter that size for the really long glass. Zemlin makes an attachable add-on bracket you can then attach a filter to but nothing directly to the lens itself. They don't have threads. Plus the filter that size would need to be off VERY HIGH quality sure to the larger the surface area the easier to have imperfections. Even smaller front elements were filters were easier to find, I'd never put an inferior piece of glass on my lens.

Get a Zemlin lens cap for it and your lens hood will be enough

Last edited:
For many years I have owned big glass such as the 600mm f4. I have used the Z 800mm PF 6.3 for over a year. I have never used a protective filter over the front element and I have never had any damage to it. A high quality filter would be quite expensive and would probably approach or maybe even exceed the cost of repairing the front element if it should ever be damaged. And why put another piece of glass over such a high quality lens. If you see the video that Steve produced a few years ago about using protective front element filters you will see why so many of us don't use them.
Best protection, as stated above, is to use your lens hood when shooting and to get a Zemlin lens cap for the 800mm.

I replied in your other thread on the same topic. I bought the Kase filter and plan to use it on my Z 800 PF only where extra protection might be needed — salt spray, blowing sand and the like. Will not use for most of my shooting with the lens. It seemed to work fine on a recent trip to Barkley Sound on Vancouver Island where we were photographing on the ocean (a motorized sail boat and zodiacs). I also use Zemlin hoods on my long lenses, including the Z 800 PF.

I replied in your other thread on the same topic. I bought the Kase filter and plan to use it on my Z 800 PF only where extra protection might be needed — salt spray, blowing sand and the like. Will not use for most of my shooting with the lens. It seemed to work fine on a recent trip to Barkley Sound on Vancouver Island where we were photographing on the ocean (a motorized sail boat and zodiacs). I also use Zemlin hoods on my long lenses, including the Z 800 PF.
I also used the Zemlin hood on my 800mm.
I just replaced the 800mm with the new 600mm TC. I immediately bought the Zemlin lens cap for the 600 and it is great. But I so far have not ordered the Zemlin hood for the 600mm because I thought Nikon did a pretty good job with the hood for that lens.

The only reason I can see for adding a $500 front filter to either the Z800/PF or Z400/2.8TC would be to add an ND filter when shooting:
a) video in bright light conditions while wanting to shoot wide open (not an issue I have faced) -- the Z9 appears to ONLY shoot video at ISO 800 or higher
b) stills in VERY bright conditions -- obviously one can depress the ISO to Low 2 but even then....... $500 is a lot to spend.
Nikon has advertised drop in filters and at some point these will become available. KAse also make drop in filters that fit.
I agree with those advising use of Zemlin Hoods -- I do. As well as Zemlin lens caps. Nothing gets through these.

Last edited:
For many years I have owned big glass such as the 600mm f4. I have used the Z 800mm PF 6.3 for over a year. I have never used a protective filter over the front element and I have never had any damage to it. A high quality filter would be quite expensive and would probably approach or maybe even exceed the cost of repairing the front element if it should ever be damaged. And why put another piece of glass over such a high quality lens. If you see the video that Steve produced a few years ago about using protective front element filters you will see why so many of us don't use them.
Best protection, as stated above, is to use your lens hood when shooting and to get a Zemlin lens cap for the 800mm.
Thanx for the tip about the video. I appreciate the advise.

The only reason I can see for adding a $500 front filter to either the Z800/PF or Z400/2.8TC would be to add an ND filter when shooting:
a) video in bright light conditions while wanting to shoot wide open (not an issue I have faced) -- the Z9 appears to ONLY shoot video at ISO 800 or higher
b) stills in VERY bright conditions -- obviously one can depress the ISO to Low 2 but even then....... $500 is a lot to spend.
Nikon has advertised drop in filters and at some point these will become available.
I agree with those advising use of Zemlin Hoods -- I do. As well as Zemlin lens caps. Nothing gets through these.
I just replaced the 800mm with the new 600mm TC. I immediately bought the Zemlin lens cap for the 600 and it is great. But I so far have not ordered the Zemlin hood for the 600mm because I thought Nikon did a pretty good job with the hood for that lens.
I wish I figured forums out earlier. I have learned more from this question. All excellent and proven suggestions. Thanx Now... wait for the lens... I read it may be rereleased soon...I hope they are right.

Thanx for the tip about the video. I appreciate the advise.
I wish I figured forums out earlier. I have learned more from this question. All excellent and proven suggestions. Thanx Now... wait for the lens... I read it may be rereleased soon...I hope they are right.
I just checked Adorama and B+H they do not stock the Zemlin line. Do you recommend another online retailer? I looked at the Zemlin site and see all hoods are backordered....all sizes... what size are you using or recommend? I can use the HB 104 til available again.

I just checked Adorama and B+H they do not stock the Zemlin line. Do you recommend another online retailer? I looked at the Zemlin site and see all hoods are backordered....all sizes... what size are you using or recommend? I can use the HB 104 til available again.
Only available from Zemlin. Website is zemlinphoto.com But he is on vacation and the site is closed until June 1 so I'm afraid you will have to wait to get it. But I believe it is worth the wait. I ordered from him the Lens Cap for the Z 800mm. And I ordered the 1 piece lens hood, 5.7 inches long which matches the length of the hood supplied by Nikon.

Like others, I have a Zemlin lens cap and I use the lens hood almost all the time.

I've got one additional use for a filter on the 800mm PF. I'm looking at adding a solar filter with the upcoming eclipses in mind. In the past, I've used filters from Thousand Oaks Optical. These filters are solar film that is mounted in a metal ring that slips over the end of the lens. The mount is loose - just padded with felt and fixed with gaffer tape. It certainly won't work as a protective filter. The question I'm thinking through right now is whether to use the filter over the lens hood or just over the end of the lens - and there are different size filters depending on which I choose.

I've used Thousand Oaks Optical for solar filters with the last eclipse. I have them for my 300mm f/4 (77mm screw on filter) and 600mm f/4 (slip over filter). Now I am looking at filters for my 400mm f/4.5 and 800mm PF. I'm keeping in mind that during totality for the 2024 eclipse, I will need to remove the filter.

I only use a front filter when their is windblown sand when shooting. The rest of the time the hood protects the front element. I use an aftermarket neoprene cap to cover the front of the lens which is faster to remove than the Nikon cover.

I do not know about the 800mm PF lens but the 600mm f/4E lens had a sacrificial front piece of glass to protect the front lens element.

With any dust that does end up on the front element I use a rocket blower and or a soft brush to remove it.

Reactions: Gio
I only use a front filter when their is windblown sand when shooting. The rest of the time the hood protects the front element. I use an aftermarket neoprene cap to cover the front of the lens which is faster to remove than the Nikon cover.

I do not know about the 800mm PF lens but the 600mm f/4E lens had a sacrificial front piece of glass to protect the front lens element.

With any dust that does end up on the front element I use a rocket blower and or a soft brush to remove it.
It's good to know about the in body glass. I have never had a problem with any of my lenses. I always use a soft lens cloth ( which I am anal about) and lens solutions. I try to equate my lens like my glasses. I am constantly cleaning them with lens solutions and dry cloths. Yet- I still see small streaks from cleaning. I hate to have this happen to a $7K investment- therefore I always use a neutral filter. I will check about the front glass protection.

(Apologies for the limited information at this time; I’m completing a move from Canada back to the US and I’ll be too busy for the next several weeks to provide more details.)

I’ve always used a “protective” filter on all of my lenses and when I ordered the Z800 I wanted to try to mount one on the new lens. Consider it an experiment on my part.

Karl Zemlin was kind enough to engineer an integrated filter holder for use with his lens hoods & cap. It holds this filter: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...10_cinema_true_protector_explosion_proof.html
Of note, the filter is recessed within the custom engineered Zemlin hood mount.

As luck would have it, the lens arrived just as I was starting the move so I’ve only had a chance to do a couple of very quick tests and more serious tests are weeks away.

I have to give Karl Zemlin the highest compliments on the work. The only minor concern is that it is not a quick job to remove the filter. The whole thing seamlessly works with his hoods and cap.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, image degradation is always a possibility. As I was researching this project I read a comment on the Lens Rental Blog that protective filters are more likely to adversely affect longer focal lengths than shorter focal lengths. Maybe that’s why Nikon doesn’t provide a threaded filter holder...

When I finally can get my hands on the lens and test it, I’ll report back.

Dan

I understand that there may be a rerelease of the Nikon 800 PF 6.3. I have put it back in my "bag" to get in on the list. I went to look for a Neutral Filter to protect the front lens element, and could not find anything??? I am aware about the internal filter, but I want to protect my lens. I have messaged Nikon weeks ago and still no reply. I'm hoping someone here has the lens and can walk me off a ledge if I have to spend $7K for a lens and have no way to protect it.
Thanx GM
I also have been searching for one. I couldn’t even find the diameter of the filter needed. I want to use it without a hood especially when it is windy

Thanx GM
I have had a Z800pf since 5-1-22 I do not use a protective filter ... the stock or the Zemlin hoods are more than enough protection. As noted above check out @Steve great tests on how much impact protection a UV filter gives. The glass in the front element and the coatings on the new lenses area amazing at shedding almost anything that might get on them.

Zemlin photo is a one man operation, Karl Zemlin is extremely reliable and responsive almost all the time. Except apparently once a year (now) when he takes his vacation time.
I shoot for IndyCAR - shooting two races in April, and then the month of May leading up to the Indy 500 is busy almost every week ... so I can't manage that and the hood/cap business. I will be working on things though - some minor design updates are in the works, new 3D printers to improve my throughput, and building stock on the more popular items so I'll be ready to rock-and-roll when I open on June 1st.

Back