Nikkor Z 800mm 6.3 VR S

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use a z8, 500 pf and 1.4TC, so I’m at 700mm and I have the same problem you do highlighted in red although maybe not to the same extreme. How much of a difference will I see if I move from 700mm to 800mm? I have been planning on getting the 800pf, although I have considered the 600mm pf with a TC.
I had the 500pf with D850, D500 and D6. I now use the Z800 pf and Z600 pf on Z9 and Z6III. Most of my photography as noted above is birds. The key with any bird in flight is to look at your target the bird with both eyes open and then begin panning with the bird as you move the view finder to your eye. The same method applies for acquiring stationary targets except for the panning. This is the same method I used for shooting a shotgun for bird hunting and sporting clays for many years. Practice is first on a stationary subject and then on moving targets.

As for getting a Z600pf and a 1.4 TC instead of a z800pf keep in mind that you will loose a stop of light with the 600+tc = f/9 (f8.883) and in the heat of action with birds in flight adding a TC can = missed opportunity.

Back