Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

An aside ... the Nikon CL-L2 Lens Case ( just came in stock with Nikon UK) is a perfect fit for the Z8/Z9 with the lens attached AND with the hood attached. Reversing the hood gains a few inches - as seen in the image attached ... so one could add a TC ... it comes with a padded lens filter case which neatly fits that gap.
No affiliation at all, just Info.

It also comes with very good padding - not shown in the first image (oops)

View attachment 75439

View attachment 75441

I have a brand new CL-L2 case for sale on the Marketplace, if anyone is interested.

Very late to the Z Party. Bought my Z9 in September and ordered the 180-600 at that time. It's on the truck for delivery today finally and I'm very excited to try it out. In the mean time, I had bought the 400 4.5 along with the 2.0TC and have been having a blast with it shooting eagles (my favorite)

So my question and I don't see it mentioned in here, is anyone using this lens with a 2.0?

I know I'll be at F13 but the thought of getting eagles at 1200mm is making me drool.
Hope to escape from work for a little bit this afternoon after UPS shows up and try to track one down.

Very late to the Z Party. Bought my Z9 in September and ordered the 180-600 at that time. It's on the truck for delivery today finally and I'm very excited to try it out. In the mean time, I had bought the 400 4.5 along with the 2.0TC and have been having a blast with it shooting eagles (my favorite)

So my question and I don't see it mentioned in here, is anyone using this lens with a 2.0?

I know I'll be at F13 but the thought of getting eagles at 1200mm is making me drool.
Hope to escape from work for a little bit this afternoon after UPS shows up and try to track one down.
I just ordered a 180-600 but I already have a 2x that I use with my 70-200. I may test the 2x on the new lens just to see how it works, but I have a feeling I will need to get a 1.4x to use with the longer lens.

I recently snagged a local resident whooper swan flapping, and carrying on. loving this new lens.
SWANFLAP.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Have you seen @Steve reports and tests on the lens that includes the TC. https://backcountrygallery.com/nikon-180-600mm-sharpness-af-speed-tests/

Thanks - I just checked out that section. I can see it's softer. I know I'll try it anyway though. Arrived too late from UPS today to get outside and try it out today but I'll go looking for my eagles tomorrow with it
For me I seldom use TC's I have the 1.4 and 2.0 and have never used the 2.0 except to test it on Z70-200 f/2.8 and Z800 pf f/6.3 best use for me would be on the 70-200 f/2.8. It worked on the Z800 but if I need more than 800 I just push the button I have programmed on the lens and go to dx mode on my Z9 = 1200 mm equiv.

When you start trying to photograph stuff to far away you introduce atmoshperic distortion far to often.

I am a run and gun bird ID photographer I got the Z180-600 for the versatility of variable focal length when needed or in those rare cases when the Z800 focal length and or 16.5 foot minmum focus distance are to much. So for me I do not need it to be longer than 600mm and if it is on the camera and I suddenly need more I can go to dx mode and I have 900 mm equivalency.

... Bought my Z9 in September and ordered the 180-600 at that time. It's on the truck for delivery today finally and I'm very excited to try it out...
Lucky you to receive your z186! Look forward to seeing how you enjoy the lens and camera. Wonder from whom (Nikon, B&H, etc.) you ordered?

So I was about to buy the 180-600mm lens, to get the reach of 600mm for bird photography (and subsequently reduce cropping photos taken with the 500 PF).. and saw a few reviews on YouTube that state the zoom lens to be a bit soft at f6.3 and recommend stopping down to f8.0 for sharp photos.. is this true? Most were talking about a pre-production model.

One last question: is there a noticeable difference between 600mm and 500mm? Or should I stick to cropping my 500PF photos?

Thanks in advance and happy weekend!

So I was about to buy the 180-600mm lens, to get the reach of 600mm for bird photography (and subsequently reduce cropping photos taken with the 500 PF).. and saw a few reviews on YouTube that state the zoom lens to be a bit soft at f6.3 and recommend stopping down to f8.0 for sharp photos.. is this true? Most were talking about a pre-production model.

One last question: is there a noticeable difference between 600mm and 500mm? Or should I stick to cropping my 500PF photos?

The 500 pf will probably be sharper regardless, but I've found my copy to be sharp enough wide open (examples through the the thread with a 1.4x tc) that I'm happy with it.

It’s fine at 600, reviewers need something to nitpick. You won’t notice a difference in real life shooting.

The 500 pf will probably be sharper regardless, but I've found my copy to be sharp enough wide open (examples through the the thread with a 1.4x tc) that I'm happy with it.
thanks for your feedback. I’ve been following the photo posts in this thread, but the problem is I cannot tell which are post processed (sharpening and de-noise) and which are not. I’m very happy with my 500PF but sometimes it’s not enough reach particularly for small song birds..

thanks for your feedback. I’ve been following the photo posts in this thread, but the problem is I cannot tell which are post processed (sharpening and de-noise) and which are not. I’m very happy with my 500PF but sometimes it’s not enough reach particularly for small song birds..
I have two posts somewhere here, one with the images processed through dxo, one without. At web sizes, the difference is minimal from my own experience. Full res you can tell, but the images are still more than sharp enough imo.

Had a moose cow and calf visit this evening so grabbed a couple of shots.

1)
_NZ99879.jpg

2)
_NZ99911.jpg

3)
_NZ99890.jpg

4)
_NZ99899.jpg

Back