Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What was the fix for the AC problem?
I was using Auto Area AF with some blocked out distance spots along with animal detection. Bird detection is not supported in AC yet. Hope it will get added.
I had used this with my 100-400 successfully on 4.0 when there was no Bird detection, but was struggling with it on this fountain.

This morning I switched to C1 with a 19x7 rectangle along the top of the fountain. Took 2655 shots and most were in focus. Only Auto Area AF supports blocking out focus spots so I could not do that but it didn't matter.

Bird detection is good in a situations like this I hope it gets added to the FW.

I was using Auto Area AF with some blocked out distance spots along with animal detection. Bird detection is not supported in AC yet. Hope it will get added.
I had used this with my 100-400 successfully on 4.0 when there was no Bird detection, but was struggling with it on this fountain.

This morning I switched to C1 with a 19x7 rectangle along the top of the fountain. Took 2655 shots and most were in focus. Only Auto Area AF supports blocking out focus spots so I could not do that but it didn't matter.

Bird detection is good in a situations like this I hope it gets added to the FW.
Looks like you got it squared away!

Cloudy and overcast, again in the Midwest so, not a lot of opportunities to take this lens out for a ride. I'm still trying to figure out the best QD solution and in the meantime am using the screw/black rapid strap combo while I decide on a plate. It's a joy to carry and use. Here's one from just at sunset - like anyone could tell with all of the clouds - at ISO 4000

Sandy 186N000.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Not an image…but apparently the backlog is getting sorted out. I had an order that I cancelled and got confirmation on (Nikon direct) the first of November when I ordered the 600PF instead. Got email yesterday that it was in stock and scheduled for shipping…I was able to get it really canceled…at least I think so, we will see if it shows up)…but either the backlog is gone or they got to my order in the queue which was put in late August.

Not an image…but apparently the backlog is getting sorted out. I had an order that I cancelled and got confirmation on (Nikon direct) the first of November when I ordered the 600PF instead. Got email yesterday that it was in stock and scheduled for shipping…I was able to get it really canceled…at least I think so, we will see if it shows up)…but either the backlog is gone or they got to my order in the queue which was put in late August.
Hmm... my order (B&H) was placed in mid-July, yet I'm still waiting! Evidently, the backlog isn't over... or is something fishing at Nikon Direct?

Hmm... my order (B&H) was placed in mid-July, yet I'm still waiting! Evidently, the backlog isn't over... or is something fishing at Nikon Direct?
Who knows? I cancelled in favor of the 60lPF for weight purposes mostly…and am glad I actually got it cancelled the other day…because if it had showed up I asked my wife if I should keep it or not…and she weaseled out of answering telling me it was up to me…and I would have probably kept it regardless of whether I needed it or not.

I’m headed out to the west coast next month for my first real outing with the 186. Has anyone looked to see if this lens performs better with the VR in sport versus normal odor WL? Much appreciated.

I've been loving mine, and found it to be incredibly sharp, even with the 1.4x tc. I'm not going to claim these are the perfect shots for AF, if anyone wonders. Most of my shots in general are in really not ideal conditions early in the AM, or shooting into dark brush/trees.

View attachment 72618

View attachment 72619View attachment 72620
I've been loving mine, and found it to be incredibly sharp, even with the 1.4x tc.
Would you recommend the 1.4TC?

Wild Otter feeding at my friends pond whilst the adjacent river is in flood. He's set up a remote flash and shoots throughout the night, something I've never done before. It was a great experience watching these feed so close up. We were behind a hide.
bcgotter3.jpg
bcgotter4.jpg

Last edited:
Back