Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks, Ken! If you take a visit out east, these little guys are common as pennies, but they never disappoint with their boisterous behavior and insanely loud calls.

I'd love to get some time with those wren you mentioned, especially the Canyon! I remember trying to photograph some Bewick's out in Washington State, but didn't get lucky that day. We have Winter Wren here, which are pretty much identical to your Pacific variety; also see some Marsh and Sedge Wren here on occasion. House Wren are everywhere here in the summer as well.
I forgot to list the Marsh Wren I see them when I am out after Swamp Sparrows. I am a relatively new birder and photographer. I traveled for work for 10 years to all 50 states and I know I saw a lot of birds that I had no idea what I was seeing :). I have only been east once since I got into photography and birding to a Heroe s of Conservation Event in Washington DC and had only 2 free hours on Sunday before I had to catch a plane home so took a walk around the mall ... I saw my first and only Black Ducks in the reflecting pool :cool:

I am leading a Golden Eagle Audubon Society trip to see Canyon and Rock Wrens 5-18-24. It is a location that has Canyon Wrens year round. Not to long of a hike but it is up some single track rocky terrain so we warn people about that in our information on the trip :)

If you get out to Boise let me know and we can look for birds you may not have seen.

If I ever visit Boise, I'd 100% take you up on a birding excursion, Ken, thank you!

Washington DC: that's right around where I lived before I moved here 3 years ago. If you ever go back, I have some top birding places for you to check out (on the Maryland side) ;)

If I ever visit Boise, I'd 100% take you up on a birding excursion, Ken, thank you!

Washington DC: that's right around where I lived before I moved here 3 years ago. If you ever go back, I have some top birding places for you to check out (on the Maryland side) ;)
My granddaughter is a TA working on her Masters at Virginia Mason. She got her BA at Western Washington in Bellingham we went up there for her graduation. She and we both liked Bellingham better than the beltway :) But I am a sage steppe nut so all those trees are down right freaky LOL

More eagles from Japan
EagleLandingBJL_5157-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
EatgleFligthSunriseBJL_5163-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg
EatgleFlyingInBJL_5811-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD-Edit.jpg

A few with the Z5.. The MFD comes in handy sometimes.

20240308-DSC_1043-Enhanced-NR.jpg

A Magpie headshot near MFD

20240323-DSC_1304-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Little Pied Cormorant environmental shot

rainforest-3.jpg

Laughing Kookaburra

20240224-DSC_0802-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Male Variegated Fairy Wren

20240322-DSC_1269-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
Late to this party but my lens only arrived on Thursday having been ordered on Wednesday. I stopped raining for long enough yesterday to allow me to try a nd get a few images of the birds in my garden. This goldfinch was waiting its turn at the feeder.
DSC_4994.jpg

NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 Patent application for Nikon and Tamron, which seems to be for VR

April 2, 2024
A patent application that Nikon is interested in was released on April 2, 2024. Several examples of ultra-telephoto zoom optics that are very similar to "NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR" under Tamron's joint name are posted.

Summary

[Public number] P2024044857
[Publish date] 2024-04-02
[Name of invention] Zoom lens and imaging device
[Date of application] 2022-09-21
[Applier]
[Identification number] 000133227
[Name or name] Tamron Corporation
[Applier]
[Identification number] 000004112
[Name or name] Nikon Co., Ltd.
[Issusance] It realizes a zoom lens and imaging device that has small size, light weight, high optical performance, and can reduce the size and weight of the anti-vibration group.

In recent years, imaging devices using solid image sensors such as digital still cameras and digital video cameras have become popular. Along with that, the optical system of these imaging devices has become more high-performance and smaller, and small imaging systems are rapidly spreading. In particular, for telephoto zoom lenses with a long focal length, there is a growing demand for miniaturization and weight reduction along with the high performance of the optical system.

In particular, telephoto zoom lenses are prone to image blur when vibration is accidentally transmitted to the shooting system in the imaging device. Traditionally, various zoom lenses have been proposed with a mechanism (anti-vibration mechanism) to compensate for image blur due to this accidental vibration. For example, an optical system that moves a part of the lens group that constitutes the optical system in a direction slightly perpendicular to the optical axis and compensates for image blur caused by vibration is known. In general, in order to prevent image blur by vibrating a part of the lens group, the lens group (anti-vibration lens group) that vibrates for image correction is required to be small and lightweight.

However, with the zoom lens described in Patent Document 1, the miniaturization of the anti-vibration group is not enough, and with the enlargement of the anti-vibration drive mechanism, the entire zoom lens may become larger and heavier.

One aspect of this invention aims to realize a zoom lens and imaging device that is small, lightweight, has high optical performance, and can reduce the size and weight of the anti-vibration group.

NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 Patent application for Nikon and Tamron, which seems to be for VR

April 2, 2024
A patent application that Nikon is interested in was released on April 2, 2024. Several examples of ultra-telephoto zoom optics that are very similar to "NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR" under Tamron's joint name are posted.

Summary

[Public number] P2024044857
[Publish date] 2024-04-02
[Name of invention] Zoom lens and imaging device
[Date of application] 2022-09-21
[Applier]
[Identification number] 000133227
[Name or name] Tamron Corporation
[Applier]
[Identification number] 000004112
[Name or name] Nikon Co., Ltd.
[Issusance] It realizes a zoom lens and imaging device that has small size, light weight, high optical performance, and can reduce the size and weight of the anti-vibration group.

In recent years, imaging devices using solid image sensors such as digital still cameras and digital video cameras have become popular. Along with that, the optical system of these imaging devices has become more high-performance and smaller, and small imaging systems are rapidly spreading. In particular, for telephoto zoom lenses with a long focal length, there is a growing demand for miniaturization and weight reduction along with the high performance of the optical system.

In particular, telephoto zoom lenses are prone to image blur when vibration is accidentally transmitted to the shooting system in the imaging device. Traditionally, various zoom lenses have been proposed with a mechanism (anti-vibration mechanism) to compensate for image blur due to this accidental vibration. For example, an optical system that moves a part of the lens group that constitutes the optical system in a direction slightly perpendicular to the optical axis and compensates for image blur caused by vibration is known. In general, in order to prevent image blur by vibrating a part of the lens group, the lens group (anti-vibration lens group) that vibrates for image correction is required to be small and lightweight.

However, with the zoom lens described in Patent Document 1, the miniaturization of the anti-vibration group is not enough, and with the enlargement of the anti-vibration drive mechanism, the entire zoom lens may become larger and heavier.

One aspect of this invention aims to realize a zoom lens and imaging device that is small, lightweight, has high optical performance, and can reduce the size and weight of the anti-vibration group.

So Tamron makes the lens? That was always stipulated.

I may be misinterpreting the patent, but it seems that it was a joint development, at least for the VR system. I think Nikon makes the lens.
I'd be shocked if Nikon makes it. Probably half of Tamron's business is white-label lenses for Nikon, Sony (which is its largest non-institutional shareholder), and others.

I'd be shocked if Nikon makes it. Probably half of Tamron's business is white-label lenses for Nikon, Sony (which is its largest non-institutional shareholder), and others.
I was told by a Nikon employee that Nikon makes the lens. But I cannot verify that. It’s also possible that Nikon & Tamron have joint production facilities in China.

After a few days lost to rain and a migraine attack I added a 1.4TC to the lens and photographed another goldfinch in the same spot from the same distance (although it was a bit cloudier). Very happy with the results using the TC and as always impressed with the VR allowing hand holding at 1/320 sec:

DSC_5120-Edit.jpg

Back