Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Go to DX mode and you have an effective 1.5 gain at 600mm effective 900 mm with no change to your f stop.
There has been discussion on this on other threads, regarding DX or crop vs 1.4x. Firstly, I would never switch to DX mode in camera, I would just crop in post. (I know others like DX mode, to each their own, I just don't see the point). Secondly, you still get full pixels if you use 1.4x teleconverter, which is better in my opinion. However, for low light situations, you could be right - it might be more advantageous to have the larger aperture and crop.

I received a call today (2-20) from Allen's Camera store in Levittown, Pennsylvania - offering to sale me a 180-600.
Her comment was 'we have a few available now'. I have mine..
If still waiting call - Allen's 215-547-2841
I've dealt there several times thru the years, good folks.

There has been discussion on this on other threads, regarding DX or crop vs 1.4x. Firstly, I would never switch to DX mode in camera, I would just crop in post. (I know others like DX mode, to each their own, I just don't see the point). Secondly, you still get full pixels if you use 1.4x teleconverter, which is better in my opinion. However, for low light situations, you could be right - it might be more advantageous to have the larger aperture and crop.
On distant subjects, for me birds , going to dx mode helps the auto focus on the z9 and that is the most common time I do it and when they are that far away I would be cropping later anyway. Check out @Steve tests on the Z180-600 and discussion about 1.4 TC and using DX mode for more info.

I was never a fan of the TC on most f mount stuff. I had one Tamron that worked very well on a Tamon 70-200 f/2.8. I had a TC 1.4iii that Nikon worked on under warranty 3 times and the third time it worked quite well on the 300 and 500 pf.

Like you noted the Z 2.0 TC works very well when I tested it on my Z70-200 f/2.8 as does the Z1.4 TC. The Z1.4 TC also works on the Z100-400 much better then the Z2.0 .. After getting the Z800 I just no longer needed to try and get over 600 mm with a TC. So now the TC's just sit in my dry cabinet.

Last edited:
After hearing about how this lens is sharp for the price, but not up to the level of a "professional" lens, I decided to go for it. Went right from the camera store to the zoo and shot both wide open and stopped down a little. Based on the initial results I have been happy to use this wide open any time I need to shoot up to 600. It may not be the sharpest lens, but it's sharper than almost anything I shot back in the F mount days.
EmptyName 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
EmptyName.jpg

You get better auto focus. That’s the point for this choice.

After hearing about how this lens is sharp for the price, but not up to the level of a "professional" lens, I decided to go for it.
View attachment 82324
You make that statement, and then follow it up with this clinically sharp photo that could easily be mistaken for a shot taken with the 600TC or 600PF? 😎 Umm... not sure how much more sharp one needs a photo to be for the lens to be considered "professional level", because the proof is right here ^^^

I decided to take the 186 out on a stroll this afternoon in our unseasonably warm February heat wave. Wasn't expecting to see much, the little dirt creek behind my house is mostly dead, but every now and then I get lucky. A Cooper's Hawk flushed out of the underbrush and took off; I froze, and a second later its mate ascended to a branch about 10 yards away, having not seen me. This is the first time since I've moved to Wisconsin 2.5 years ago that I've had a hawk land close enough to actually photograph! Wish the area wasn't so ratty and tangled, would have really liked a cleaner background and perch, but I'll take it.

This was shot in DX mode, and I also have others shot FF, some at 600mm, others zoomed out, all variety. That ability to compose is so liberating coming from shooting nothing but the 600 and 800PF as of late. Couldn't ask for anything more in terms of sharpness either.
NIKON Z 8untitled_20240221_42-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
You make that statement, and then follow it up with this clinically sharp photo that could easily be mistaken for a shot taken with the 600TC or 600PF? 😎 Umm... not sure how much more sharp one needs a photo to be for the lens to be considered "professional level", because the proof is right here ^^^
Exactly. This lens is a gem and it's perfect for what I do. Beats the heck out of carrying the 8lb 500 f4 AF-S, tripod and Wimberly head back in the day. Would never go back.

I received a call today (2-20) from Allen's Camera store in Levittown, Pennsylvania - offering to sale me a 180-600.
Her comment was 'we have a few available now'. I have mine..
If still waiting call - Allen's 215-547-2841
I've dealt there several times thru the years, good folks.
I agree with you about Allen's. Brandon, Marlena and the reset of the crew.

Add me to the LOVE IT group. @Butlerkid turned me on to a store that had one in stock when she was in Idaho last fall, and I have been forever grateful she did. I am still strong enough to hand hold it, and I love that I can reach out and find my target at a wider angle, then quickly push up the magnification if I would like. As a relative rookie to big lenses, I was having trouble getting on to flying ducks at 500mm. I can do it way better now, but I rarely use the 600mm length in the places I go.

Here is one of my favorite "lucky shots." My hunting companion was walking across the pond when the sun burst forth under the cloud cover. I yelled at him to please wait for a moment while I got my camera out of its water proof box and grabbed this photo a few seconds prior to the sun going back to hiding.

Jack Porter 180-600-.jpg

Here is another "lucky shot". I have only seen a few snowy egrets at our duck club over the fifty years or so that i have hunted there. I have never seen one as close as this. It flew less than 30 yards in front of us, and landed in this tree top less than a hundred yards away. Of the hundred plus shots that my 20 frames per second acquired, this is the best pose.

Snpowy Egret 180-600-.jpg

And here, from a walk along the river in Boise with @Ken Miracle, is a pretty little song sparrow. Ken has been very kind to take me on some wonderful walks where the birds hang out. This is the only picture I am sharing today that was taken at 600mm. I really love this lens!

song sparrow 180-600-.jpg

Add me to the LOVE IT group. @Butlerkid turned me on to a store that had one in stock when she was in Idaho last fall, and I have been forever grateful she did. I am still strong enough to hand hold it, and I love that I can reach out and find my target at a wider angle, then quickly push up the magnification if I would like. As a relative rookie to big lenses, I was having trouble getting on to flying ducks at 500mm. I can do it way better now, but I rarely use the 600mm length in the places I go.

Here is one of my favorite "lucky shots." My hunting companion was walking across the pond when the sun burst forth under the cloud cover. I yelled at him to please wait for a moment while I got my camera out of its water proof box and grabbed this photo a few seconds prior to the sun going back to hiding.

View attachment 82609

Here is another "lucky shot". I have only seen a few snowy egrets at our duck club over the fifty years or so that i have hunted there. I have never seen one as close as this. It flew less than 30 yards in front of us, and landed in this tree top less than a hundred yards away. Of the hundred plus shots that my 20 frames per second acquired, this is the best pose.

View attachment 82610

And here, from a walk along the river in Boise with @Ken Miracle, is a pretty little song sparrow. Ken has been very kind to take me on some wonderful walks where the birds hang out. This is the only picture I am sharing today that was taken at 600mm. I really love this lens!

View attachment 82611
LOVE that one of your hunting buddy! Great light and pose! Glad you are enjoying the lens!

Z91_5507-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Z91_5489.jpg
I seldom use the Z180-600 being a bird identification (ID) photographer. Here in Idaho a Red-shouldered Hawk is what we call a lifer. This on and one off his breakfast targets (Feral Pigeon) was shy and hiding in the trees. After getting a number of shots at various locations with on Z9 with the Z800mm pf on it I grabbed the Z9 with the Z180-600 for some "insurance" shots on another card.

Last edited:

View attachment 82609

View attachment 82610

View attachment 82611
That hunting buddy shot is a classic :cool:

View attachment 82612View attachment 82613I seldom use the Z180-600 being a bird identification (ID) photographer. Here in Idaho a Red-shouldered Hawk is what we call a lifer. This on and one off his breakfast targets (Feral Pigeon) was shy and hiding in the trees. After getting a number of shots at various locations with on Z9 with the Z800mm pf on it I grabbed the Z9 with the Z180-600 for some "insurance" shots on another card.

I like both the hawk and his potential dinner. I would also like to see some more of those blue skies.

Back