Nikon 180-600mm First Impressions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Any comments on how the focusing speed is compared to the 200-500? Its a secondary lens for me with my 600 f4 as my primary but comes in handy sometimes. Not sure if its worth the upgrade
I think the versatility of a zoom is good. It works for me specializing in rocket launches and travel. I would, without a doubt, say its better than the 200-500mm which I had.
Excellent, I like them!!!

Rick, thanks for your impressions. I have been waiting for more "field" tests before deciding whether to purchase this lens or not. Thanks for posting your captures of the Snowy Egret, I especially like the last one.

Just skip to 12:30 - there's a lot of FLUFF here in the beginning. He thinks it's great value, no surprise. You won't find detailed analysis of the different combos of this lens and the 100-400 with TC.

Last edited:
@NorthernFocus
Can you please elaborate on why you lost credibility for Matt Granger ? Thank you in advance for any info.
He goes off half-cocked. Publishes equipment reviews before he even understands it himself. The most recent one that comes to mind is the Z8 speed/buffer issue when he reported it is not the same as the Z9. It was discussed here in the forum if you care to search for it.

I think Matt Granger just published that exact comparison. Personally he has lost credibility with me but FYI.
Thanks. I just watched it but really didn’t get much out of it. It’s a positive review of the 180-600 but not particularly technical. I think @Steve has the best comparison reviews. He puts an extraordinary amount of work into them.

Interesting to know, I have ordered mine but sort of want to enjoy it arriving rather than have this on my mind - I have an 80-400 at the moment at that focuses very fast just hope the 180-600 can compare to it especially at 600mm
I had the 80-400 with my D850. Loved that lens but 100-400 is better. My first impression is that it is. I’ll give you more tomorrow.

Back