Nikon 180-600mm First Impressions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It tells allot.
Let me phrase it differently, If the price would be in the range of the 400/4.5, would you consider the IQ satisfying? Or its the price that justifies it?
Thank you
Bottomline, quality is VERY good and the price makes if attractive and affordable. It's better and faster than the 200-500, provides great range. I've got both the 100-400 and the 180-600. I still have to do some long range comparisons but from my shots of the launch, they compare equally with previous night launches in quality and sharpness. The question is how does it do with moving stuff. So far, the egret shots were good. I want to do more to check out consistency.

Looking back over shots of the palm and a bird of paradise from yesterday. The 180-600 is definitely sharper and doesn't have CA. The 100-400 has red and blue CA in backlight situations and it is clearly less sharpe. I'm including a close look at both shots. I picked the best 100-400 with like lighting and used a randomly picked 180-600 (all seemed to be of the same quality however). These shots are at approximately 100% zoom in using Lightroom. I did a little fudging with the 180-600 to make them about the same size.
230904a 100-400_-10.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'll finish up my comparison today with some wildlife shots at a local wetlands. After that, it's your decision and option which lens to use or buy. I love my 100-400 but the 1.4 TC does soften the shot just a smidge. I'll post my final set of photos tonight. Cheers! Hope you all have a great day. I retired last Thurs so everyday is like a holiday for me now!!!

I'll finish up my comparison today with some wildlife shots at a local wetlands. After that, it's your decision and option which lens to use or buy. I love my 100-400 but the 1.4 TC does soften the shot just a smidge. I'll post my final set of photos tonight. Cheers! Hope you all have a great day. I retired last Thurs so everyday is like a holiday for me now!!!
Congratulations on retirement. It’s great👍

Congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy it!

Wow, that is a bigger difference than I expected, and quite honestly very surprised by how well the 180-600 looks compared to the 100-400
Justin, my comparison was not that scientific but I tried to make thinks a close to the same as I could. Today I'm going to a wetlands to do some wildlife shots and see if it confirms what we all are seeing. Just remember, the 100-400 has the 1.4TC and TCs traditionally soften a shot. the 100-400 by it self is a great lens. I will try a 100-400 in DX mode vs the 180-600 also and see if that changes the results.

Excellent - lucky you for receiving the lens; still waiting for mine. Can I ask where you purchased it from? I haven't heard anything yet from B&H on mine. Enjoy!

Yes, I'd like to see a comparison of the bare 100-400 at the long end, if you get to it - not so concerned about 560mm to 600 comparison. My trusty 100-400 feels a bit threatened! :unsure:
Thank you for your 180-600 comparison and feedback on the lens in operation!

Justin, my comparison was not that scientific but I tried to make thinks a close to the same as I could. Today I'm going to a wetlands to do some wildlife shots and see if it confirms what we all are seeing. Just remember, the 100-400 has the 1.4TC and TCs traditionally soften a shot. the 100-400 by it self is a great lens. I will try a 100-400 in DX mode vs the 180-600 also and see if that changes the results.
Really looking forward to that DX shot without the TC!

Hello all, I just got my 180-600mm yesterday and will spend the weekend testing it and giving it a once over. I've shot maybe 4-5 photos out of my front yard so far. I'm starting this to provide my thoughts on the lens as I test it this weekend. On Sunday, I'm going to Cape Canaveral to use it for the SpaceX Starlink 6-12 launch. I'll post some shots for you to review. Below is the only one of interest in that it shows how crisp this lens is, even a 600mm. I saw on a YouTube that the narrator was concern the pre production model was a little off at 600mm. I think you will find with this production model...its just fine.View attachment 68695
My pleasure. I hope to get some launch shots tomorrow and will post.
Excellent - lucky you for receiving the lens; still waiting for mine. Can I ask where you purchased it from? I haven't heard anything yet from B&H on mine. Enjoy!
Has anyone based in the UK received their copy of the lens yet? Or received a date?

Back