Nikon 180-600mm First Impressions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

230903 SpaceX Launch Compair 100-400 w 180-600-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
230903 SpaceX Launch Compair 100-400 w 180-600-3.jpg

The first two photos were night shots at about 3 miles away. They are unretouched except the crop. The second two have some light corrections to see if the outcome is similar. More daylight tests to come. My only regret getting home is I should have pushed the 180-600 to the same f-stop and shutter of the 100-400 w 1.4 TC but it also allows to see which one provides better light.

The first two photos were night shots at about 3 miles away. They are unretouched except the crop. The second two have some light corrections to see if the outcome is similar. More daylight tests to come. My only regret getting home is I should have pushed the 180-600 to the same f-stop and shutter of the 100-400 w 1.4 TC but it also allows to see which one provides better light.
3 miles away--wow with both!

They are Snowy Egrets.....
I’ve often wondered why some are egrets and some herons…and when you google it the consensus is that it’s based on coloration of legs and plumage with egrets being mostly white…but that generalization is immediately disproved by the…reddish egret. I’m thinking there’s some subtle biologist level difference…but have never really delved ll that deeply into it though. It’s another of those I just accept that’s the way it is questions.

I’ve often wondered why some are egrets and some herons…and when you google it the consensus is that it’s based on coloration of legs and plumage with egrets being mostly white…but that generalization is immediately disproved by the…reddish egret. I’m thinking there’s some subtle biologist level difference…but have never really delved ll that deeply into it though. It’s another of those I just accept that’s the way it is questions.
Yes there is a species difference between Herons and Egrets. A good source to start knowing more is the Cornell Lab of Ornithology All About Birds a free online resource. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Snowy_Egret/id#

Yes there is a species difference between Herons and Egrets. A good source to start knowing more is the Cornell Lab of Ornithology All About Birds a free online resource. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Snowy_Egret/id#
Thanks…I’ve used that site before.
edit to add…

Did a little more googling and found that all berets are also herons but not the other way around...they’re members of the same family but egrets are in a subgroup of the herons. Several sites said that the difference 8s coloration…herons are colored and egrets are white..but the reddish egret sorta kills that argument. Found that the word egret comes from a French word meaning long feathers or something like that…and that egrets grow the long breeding plumage that ladies used to want for their hats while herons get a little color difference when breeding like the beak on the little blue but that most herons don’t get the long breeding plumage like Snowy and Great Egrets do…GBH and Tricolor get a little brighter as well and the goldfish on the back of the latter s head…but not the long feathers that egrets do. Genetically they’re essentially the same but the long feathers gets the egrets put into a sub group. (Note, family is the right term and I think group as well…but I’m paraphrasing what I read yesterday.)

Last edited:
This one is just for fun for everyone but gives you an idea of the view for the launch. This is a 134 sec exposure F20 ISO 32 at 14mm. I prefer the arch to continue in the upper right corner but I just figured out if I place the pad about 3/4 or more toward the left of the photo, it will do better at catching the entire arch at 14mm at 5 mi. distance.

This is the 180-600 in DX mode with a slight crop in post processing. I removed noise with Topaz Photo AI. Settings were 900mm (DX), ISO 4000, f 7.1. Not a comparison of the two lens but thought some would be interested in the 180-600 capabilities in a low light situation. This is post processed but general some light adjustments and remove the noise.
230903 SpaceX Starlink 6-12-50-7755-8.jpg

They are different species.

I found quite a few full res images here:
(scroll down) https://www.flickr.com/photos/145268771@N04/albums/72177720310887121/page1

This image seems to indicate that the lens is capable of resolving finer feather detail (ƒ/8.0. 600.0 mm. 1/400. ISO 64):
53157151305_f5864856e7_o.jpg
Great find and the goat fur is great too in many of them. Thanks for this link.

Do you think the change in lighting is somewhat impacting your reaction. I think it might be for me. The better light with the 600 might be making for more perceived contrast.
I'll be going to a wetlands tomorrow for more testing. In the palm shots above it was a bit sketchy because the branches above were moving hence slightly different light but I do think the 180-600 does a fabulous job. It does appear the 600 has more detail. More tomorrow.

Here is a 100% crop of the 100-400 vs 180-600View attachment 68953View attachment 68954
Rick thanks for your efforts, just got mine today totally unexpected - apparently nikon said it was shipped last week however email was in junk folder. I do have a question though - I took some shots only at 600mm f6.3 and where there is highlight areas I did notice CA bluish fringing (never noticed that on my 80-400mm) - hope mine is ok but will test some more tomorrow. I also took a shot of a small sparrow backlit and there was plenty CA there also - any ideas ? As I could not see any on your 180-600 shot because there was not a lot of backlight but I did see some on your 100-400 shot.

Here’s an image showing CA - however it does appear in other images also where white meets darker areas. It seems to be a lot worse in Lightroom than Nikons software, any ideas or is this normal.?! There is a crop version also.
AFC8C1F6-6345-453D-A75C-2C8A9AB3E19E.jpeg
6490CCB4-931D-489C-A709-691E79ADB495.jpeg

This one is just for fun for everyone but gives you an idea of the view for the launch. This is a 134 sec exposure F20 ISO 32 at 14mm. I prefer the arch to continue in the upper right corner but I just figured out if I place the pad about 3/4 or more toward the left of the photo, it will do better at catching the entire arch at 14mm at 5 mi. distance.
Thank you for sharing, fantastic art.

Did it actually took 134 seconds to leave the frame? Is that the calculation for f/20?

Rick thanks for your efforts, just got mine today totally unexpected - apparently nikon said it was shipped last week however email was in junk folder. I do have a question though - I took some shots only at 600mm f6.3 and where there is highlight areas I did notice CA bluish fringing (never noticed that on my 80-400mm) - hope mine is ok but will test some more tomorrow. I also took a shot of a small sparrow backlit and there was plenty CA there also - any ideas ? As I could not see any on your 180-600 shot because there was not a lot of backlight but I did see some on your 100-400 shot.
Which 100-400 shot are you referring to. There are only three, the first two are very dark shots to illustrate noise comparison. The third doesn’t have much back lighting.

Back