Nikon 180-600mm lens ship date

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are fulfilling the orders. The fact that it's taking longer than people may want doesn't mean they aren't honoring the orders, and nothing about pre-ordering would have been taken to guarantee or even to suggest a time-frame.

If you go into a restaurant and you're the only one there you can expect your meal faster than if you go in at the busiest time - and if you go into a McDonald's at the busiest time you are going to expect your meal a lot faster than if you go into a Michelin Star place at the busiest time. A camera lens, even a low quality one, is not a mass-produced item. There is a hand-made, artisanal characteristic to this sort of thing - especially a higher quality one like we all expect from Nikon. There's only so much they can increase production even if they put every last resource into making one product alone - and I don't think it's reasonable to expect a company to do something like that.

Think of it this way: say that they opened pre-orders on a lens and then literally every person on the planet ordered one. I'd think you would understand in that situation if they couldn't meet the demand very quickly. That's an extreme example, but the point is that at some threshold demand is going to outpace any ability to try to meet that demand. Remember when hand sanitizer was impossible to get for months and months in spite of multiple major international companies shifting most of their resources to producing the stuff? I can understand being disappointed and frustrated at waiting to get an item like this - I am waiting, too - but I don't think it is reasonable to think that the only possible explanation is negligence or bad faith.

@SCoombs - The restaurant is a bad analogy because we would all walk out. As @Patty15 says we are tethered to the Nikon system - compelled to eat at that one restaurant using your analogy. We expect our server or even the restaurant owner to explain why food is not prepared (our supplier of potatoes is late in delivery) and provide a realistic statement as to when it will be served (we expect potatoes to arrive in 30 minutes and then it will take 35 minutes for preparation). Let me draft a statement for Nikon with hypothetical numbers and dates:
To our wonderful Nikon customers who have pre-ordered the Z 180-600mm lens. Thank you for your commitment to the Nikon Z product line. We truly value you as customers and are working to fulfill the many orders that have been received without compromising the quality of promised lens. Nikon has difficulty knowing the exact numbers of lenses that are desired because many customers have placed orders at multiple outlets intending to cancel orders once fulfilled by the first outlet. This is problematic for Nikon and we try to estimate the impact of this inflated demand but it is not an exact number. Nikon is currently producing between 1500 and 3000 lenses per month. With the number of orders Nikon has received we expect to be able to fulfill all orders by no later than December 31st. Dealers are allocated lens delivery on a pro rata basis depending on time of order and numbers ordered. Of course delivery by your dealer may depend on where you are in line with that dealer. We will continue to produce quality product and reasonable prices and are doing our best to reward you for your loyalty.
I have no idea as to the numbers of timing but there is great benefit to honesty and transparency.

@SCoombs - The restaurant is a bad analogy because we would all walk out. As @Patty15 says we are tethered to the Nikon system - compelled to eat at that one restaurant using your analogy. We expect our server or even the restaurant owner to explain why food is not prepared (our supplier of potatoes is late in delivery) and provide a realistic statement as to when it will be served (we expect potatoes to arrive in 30 minutes and then it will take 35 minutes for preparation). Let me draft a statement for Nikon with hypothetical numbers and dates:
To our wonderful Nikon customers who have pre-ordered the Z 180-600mm lens. Thank you for your commitment to the Nikon Z product line. We truly value you as customers and are working to fulfill the many orders that have been received without compromising the quality of promised lens. Nikon has difficulty knowing the exact numbers of lenses that are desired because many customers have placed orders at multiple outlets intending to cancel orders once fulfilled by the first outlet. This is problematic for Nikon and we try to estimate the impact of this inflated demand but it is not an exact number. Nikon is currently producing between 1500 and 3000 lenses per month. With the number of orders Nikon has received we expect to be able to fulfill all orders by no later than December 31st. Dealers are allocated lens delivery on a pro rata basis depending on time of order and numbers ordered. Of course delivery by your dealer may depend on where you are in line with that dealer. We will continue to produce quality product and reasonable prices and are doing our best to reward you for your loyalty.
I have no idea as to the numbers of timing but there is great benefit to honesty and transparency.
I think I would take a profound level of entitlement to get me to think that Nikon owes me anything like this. This is not a matter of human rights, and it's not something anyone is being forced to buy - it's a camera lens. If I'm not happy with the rate of production, I can choose not to purchase it.

I don't see any question of "transparency" here because again, this isn't some kind of serious thing like a criminal investigation. It's a company producing a product. I don't need to have a full rundown of Pillsbury's supply manifests to decide if I want to buy a cookie from them. If they have a it on the shelf, I buy it. If they don't, I can choose to buy something else, or to buy nothing, or to wait for a restock.

I truly don't understand the mindset that sees a private business owing the public an explanation as to what they're doing with their production line.

I think I would take a profound level of entitlement to get me to think that Nikon owes me anything like this. This is not a matter of human rights, and it's not something anyone is being forced to buy - it's a camera lens. If I'm not happy with the rate of production, I can choose not to purchase it.

I don't see any question of "transparency" here because again, this isn't some kind of serious thing like a criminal investigation. It's a company producing a product. I don't need to have a full rundown of Pillsbury's supply manifests to decide if I want to buy a cookie from them. If they have a it on the shelf, I buy it. If they don't, I can choose to buy something else, or to buy nothing, or to wait for a restock.

I truly don't understand the mindset that sees a private business owing the public an explanation as to what they're doing with their production line.

To be clear, I do not think Nikon owes the public a production line explanation (never said that). Entitled to transparency - yes in some general measure because of my contractual purchase of the Nikon Z system and order/purchase of this lens. Human rights issue - far from it (never said that). Ability to walk away - to some degree yes but also no due to commitment to the Nikon Z system. Criminal investigation (Who said that?). Is it smart business for Nikon to explain - absolutely.

This is customer relations (with the parties with whom you are in direct or indirect contractual privity and those with whom you wish to have contracts/business). The goal of customer relations is to have a strategy to interact with your current customers (and demonstrate to future customers) to improve the customer experience in order to build a strong relationship that maintains current customers and attracts new customers in order to assure business continuity. All businesses must manage customer expectations appropriately. I have to do it in my business as does most everyone.
Many of the folks here have ordered a product from Nikon either directly or through one of its dealers; some have even prepaid the price for the product. Others are on the sidelines wondering if they should purchase that product from Nikon and watching how Nikon deals with its current customers. This is part of business survival for all businesses. Nikon should be asking how many of its customers it will lose to competitors if it cannot be forthright with its current customer base. You already have folks saying "never again" and folks moving to other brands. If I am Nikon then I must ask - What is the cost of a simple broad explanation (even without production numbers)? Especially if it maintains customer loyalty.

Currently in stock at Nikon UK..
Screenshot_2023-10-11-08-47-25-683-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

While acknowledging that this is my personal perspective, I was in the crowd that was jonesing big time for the D850 when it was first released. (Most of the names I recognize today on DPR were those who were on those threads! And likely on this forum, too…) I literally hit the pre-order button as soon as it appeared on a particular website (BH?). When it became clear in the following hours and days that there was a long line and I was without any priority (either regular customer or NPS, at the time), I started looking around for other sources. Meanwhile, I sold my D750 and bought a used D810 to hold me over. Fast forward, I did manage to get my copy within a couple of months through some good fortune; looking back, I realize that it’s way too easy to jump on that ‘get it now’ train… and expensive. (But, damn, I‘d love to get me a Z 9!) With respect to all of this new Z long glass, I’ve just picked up a pre-owned Nikon 120-300/2.8 which will hold me over with a TC for the extra reach. (I don’t shoot helpless little birdies…yet.) This zoom and the new Z 600 PF do look sweet, but I think I’ll wait a couple of years and get a used copy; meanwhile, I’ll explore (and learn) reasons to need such an FL. Until then, my next trip(s) to Namibia and beyond will be with my Z 7, D850, the new fast zoom + TCs, my outdated 70-200/2.8 VRII and a handful of MF glass, to keep me happy. That said… can’t wait to see all the excellent shots here on BCG with this latest Nikon lens and enjoy the experiences everyone has taking them, vicariously, of course!

Ut oh. @Steve just did a pre-production review (excellent, I might add) of the Z600 PF, which Nikon estimates to begin shipping later this month. How many folks will jump off the 180-600 waitlist and wait for the 600 PF instead? After getting my "We're sorry, it's still on backorder" email from B&H for the 180-600 this morning, now I'm wondering if I'd be better off shooting for the 600 PF instead. I have the 100-400, and the 500 PF. Granted the cost of the 600 PF is substantially more, you don't get the option of zoom (if you need it) and both the 180-600 and the 600 PF are 6.3 at 600 mm.

Not me. I just made a post in the other topic, but I like having the flexibility regardless, and I'm not duplicating a lens FL and aperture when my budget isn't unlimited. Even if I was still waiting, I'd keep waiting. But that's me

In Canada not one single retailer that I know of has had orders given to anyone because no lenses were ever received from Nikon - perhaps for NPS members, but I was not given such information on that.

...How many folks will jump off the 180-600 waitlist and wait for the 600 PF instead?
The zoom is essential for video work, especially when tracking and framing BIF, Ospreys, harriers and SEO's. But the 600pf will be my walk-around opportunity shooter/warbler hunter. The focal lengths and f-stop may overlap, but these are completely different use cases. My 800pf is for long-distance/high-magnification nest shooting (3000mm+ cropped with with TC's).

Last edited:
I agree for the most part here. They either knew, and underproduced, or didn't know (and someone in market research needs to get fired).
I think it’s more likely that they knew the initial demand would be high but their production line is designed around what the think the long term purchase rate is. Adding new capacity is expensive and would be largely sunk cost after the initial demand surge…they have to balance demand vs user expectations vs financials and it’s a hard choice for them. One thing they could do is build more before announcing…but without knowing the actual capacity vs the expected demand backlog vs the how long does that delay announcing…again a hard choice. Nikon isn’t stupid…they know the surge demand is going to be there…but long term they have a good guess as well and then finances get involved. We may not agree with the way they decided what to do…but that doesn’t make it wrong or point to firing anybody…and I’m as frustrated that my 180-600 isn’t here as the next guy.

Ut oh. @Steve just did a pre-production review (excellent, I might add) of the Z600 PF, which Nikon estimates to begin shipping later this month. How many folks will jump off the 180-600 waitlist and wait for the 600 PF instead? After getting my "We're sorry, it's still on backorder" email from B&H for the 180-600 this morning, now I'm wondering if I'd be better off shooting for the 600 PF instead. I have the 100-400, and the 500 PF. Granted the cost of the 600 PF is substantially more, you don't get the option of zoom (if you need it) and both the 180-600 and the 600 PF are 6.3 at 600 mm.
I’m staying with the zoom…for my style and output destination the flexibility is worth more than the slight increase in IQ…it’s there at pixel peeping but once downsampled for screen output a lot of the extra IQ gets lost in translation.

I’m staying with the zoom…for my style and output destination the flexibility is worth more than the slight increase in IQ…it’s there at pixel peeping but once downsampled for screen output a lot of the extra IQ gets lost in translation.
I'd probably feel the same way if I didn't have the 100-400. Just trying to decide what to do. The pressure's on.

I got the 180-600 a few weeks ago, just before I left on a trip and a day too late to take it. Having used it a bit to photograph hummers on my front porch, and now with the announcement of the 600PF, I've decided to go with the 600PF and a 100-400 and TC instead. The 180-600 is too heavy for me to carry in a pack. The lens performed very well, it's a nice lens. but I'll be selling it. I'm hoping the 600 does arrive at end of October but until then I've got the 500PF and I do love that lens.

I'd probably feel the same way if I didn't have the 100-400. Just trying to decide what to do. The pressure's on.
I’m probably going to sell my 100-400 assuming the longer zoom is what I think it will be. OTOH…the trade in cavalier isn’t really that much and I don’t need to do it for money reasons…so it might get kept as a lighter flexible but not as light as the 400/4.5 option. The biggest problem here is that Nikon has failed miserably at releasing lenses either simultaneously or in the right order to best meet what I want to have. If all of the current options in long glass (and shorter as well to be honest) we have today had been available at the same time when I started in Z land…my lens lineup would be different than what I have now and on order, not sure how but it would be different I think.

I'm wondering if the biggest advantage of the 180-600 to some folks is the price. $3,000 more for the PF lens, even though it's a little shorter and lighter than the 180-600. I'm waffling right now, I love the features of the 600 PF and the size and weight, yet that $3,000 could easily pay for that 105 Macro I've looked at. I don't shoot Macro a lot, but sometimes... so, at both lenses being 6.3 at 600mm, would getting an additional lens and still saving money be worth it? I guess if I were a professional photographer, the extra money for the PF wouldn't be as big a deal and as a professional photographer you could claim it on your business taxes. But, for someone like me, who takes photographs mostly for something to do in retirement, and sells an occasional one or two, the price savings might be well worth any loss in IQ.

I just picked up mine (non NPS) from Camera Canada yesterday. They've had a couple of shipments, but are still sitting with a long order list.
Got the call today and went to pick mine up - finally. I'm hoping there's no lens copy variance is all I'm hoping for as I don't have the time to get out there and use it....figures.

For those that have their lens, or those that are waiting on it, do you plan to put a UV filter on it? This is probably a generic thread that belongs elsewhere, but just wanted to see how others feel about this. I think it's the new 'toy' syndrome - it's brand new, and want to ensure it stays new :)

For those that have their lens, or those that are waiting on it, do you plan to put a UV filter on it? This is probably a generic thread that belongs elsewhere, but just wanted to see how others feel about this. I think it's the new 'toy' syndrome - it's brand new, and want to ensure it stays new :)

That's a more interesting question for me than for most.

The first copy of the 200-500 I got was downright awful and I sent it back. The second was clearly better, but still made me think something was wrong... until I took the UV filter off. I always used to put UV filters on lenses and never noticed and issue, but with that lens I found that with the filter on it was really very poor. I've since tried several filters with the same results. This got me to take filters off of all my lenses. I've also read some people saying that telephoto lenses don't handle filters as well.

However, when I ordered my 70-180 from B&H it came with a filter included for free so I tried it just for the heck of it and have found that it has no noticeable effect on the image quality even at the long end. I've also more and more begun to wonder if something is off with my 200-500 as especially past a certain (closer than I'd expect) distance the IQ seems to drop considerably. I've started wondering whether the way the filter impacts that lens might be associated with some kind of problem with the lens itself, but I don't know enough about the physics of it to theorize, so I'm interested to try the same filters on a new 180-600 and see if they have the same kind of impact or if they don't. The answer may help me finally get an idea of whether there is something funky with my 200-500 or if the filters are just all poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back