Nikon 600PF - Share Photos & Discuss!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BBC, that's hilarious, thank you for the laugh!

My cat would have enjoyed it too, but he's hiding in a shipping box somewhere, hoping I won't come by for more photos. I really should tie my desperation winter cat photography to feedings; I'll bet that would get a few more poses. Feeding time seems to be every 10 minutes, so my next chance is coming soon!

BBC, that's hilarious, thank you for the laugh!

My cat would have enjoyed it too, but he's hiding in a shipping box somewhere, hoping I won't come by for more photos. I really should tie my desperation winter cat photography to feedings; I'll bet that would get a few more poses. Feeding time seems to be every 10 minutes, so my next chance is coming soon!
Well I walked in the kitchen and he was being cooperative enough for me to grab my camera. I remain damn impressed by this lens and one thing is the balance is so great.

Fair enough - I didn't actually walk in the kitchen - walked towards it. We have mostly open arches and I was shooting from one of them. Doors are overrated at times. We like the feel of being prey.
You knew I was funnin’ you, right? I’m a fan of open design as well…our house here in FL has the 3 bedrooms and everything else is pretty much one big room that gets bigger when the lanai door is open.

And oil well just east of Lubbock, Texas. Only lens I had was the 600pf on my Z9.

Z9W_3032-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Went on a journey today to find a rare bird that was blown off course into our area, a Gray-crowned Rosy Finch. This bird had been spotted in the area in Dec and early Jan, but that was before the 20" of snow and sub-zero temps we've had, and there hasn't been any reports of it in eBird since (there hasn't been any reports on eBird since, for that matter). So, I ventured up the treacherous hike to the spot it had been seen in an attempt to photograph this bird, only to come up empty handed. Did get this shot of a resident Black-capped Chickadee, but I could have gotten that in my backyard and saved myself 6 hours 😂 Great hike though, amazingly gorgeous with the snow, and the 600PF was the perfect choice for it. Lightweight and small.
NIKON Z 8untitled_20240121_11.jpg

IMG_6319.JPG

Last edited:
I remember when this lens first became available. Timing was everything for me because I had just found myself in position to be able to afford another lens. At the time my longest lens was the 400mm f4.5.

In the past year or so I have spent a lot of time reviewing lens and camera videos. After a lot of time spent on video watching I had a good idea as to who was a competent and honest reviewer.

I had already come to respect and trust Steve Perry's advice.

The 600 mm pf came as a surprise; I was not aware that anyone had predicted its coming.

So, initially there was not a demand. There were also a lot of people who doubted the lens would amount to much.

I already knew how good the F mount 500mm pf was, my photo buddy had been shooting it and i have seen his results. When I saw Steve Perry's review of the 600 in which he compared it favorably to the 500 pf, I trusted that judgment and figured the lens would meet my needs for a quality 600mm prime that was in my budget.

So I, as a non-NPS, was able to put my order in AND get delivery without having to wait very long at all. I got mine in the first round. I already had mine while several others were still waiting for initial user reviews.

At the same time as Steve Perry's review there were several other reviewers who had not even had the opportunity to try out the lens who said the lens was not worth it and would not sell.

Fast forward to today and Steve's evaluation was proven accurate and now the 600mm pf is respected as a very special lens.

I give Steve credit for competence and honesty in his equipment evaluations. I give myself credit for figuring out on my own who to trust.

Had a day to test out this lens with little to no light, I'll say I'm pretty impressed with sharpness along with ease of use/portability. I've tried all the big primes (400tc, 600tc, 800pf) and this 600pf is comparable IQ wise. Here's a few samples of it and I'll post more next week or so!

DSC_8409-Enhanced-NR-topaz-standard v2-2x.jpg
DSC_9196-topaz-denoise.jpg
DSC_6204-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpg
DSC_0413-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpg
DSC_7816-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpg

Wow, @ona3 - outstanding images! I especially love the falcon with the lizard being taken home for dinner. And the woodpecker looks awesome, I struggle getting good shots of them given their very fast movements when using their heads as a tree hammer.

I'm still on the sidelines thinking/dreaming about the 600 PF, and between you and @MatthewK, it's going to be hard to resist getting one this year.

Great photos - well done!

Last edited:
Wow, @ona3 - outstanding images! I especially love the hawk with the lizard being taken home for dinner.
I agree it's a fantastic photo! But it's not a hawk, but a falcon, a Kestrel I believe. Which makes it even more fantastic, because they are the smallest members in the falcon family! I'm lucky to get a clear perched photo, they are fast little buggers.

Kudos to @ona3 great photos!

Thanks Patty for the correction, I was unsure of the species, and appreciate your posting the correct id!
Welcome! American Kestrels are very common around me, but I'm in the eastern part of the country. We have one that currently hangs out near me and I have many times tried to catch it in flight, but they are so fast! I love these little falcons.

The last photo looks like a Merlin, perhaps. Another member of the falcon family. We don't see them often, but when we do, we get very excited to capture their photo.

I love birds. They all captured my heart a very long time ago.

I love my 600PF. I've never regretted getting mine. Not for a second.

I agree it's a fantastic photo! But it's not a hawk, but a falcon, a Kestrel I believe. Which makes it even more fantastic, because they are the smallest members in the falcon family! I'm lucky to get a clear perched photo, they are fast little buggers.

Kudos to @ona3 great photos!
Thank you. It is an American Kestrel! Here is a pair of them mating, shot with the 600pf as well. Love these little falcons...

DSC_1409-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpg

Back