Nikon 600PF - Share Photos & Discuss!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm just getting used to shooting with the 600PF with the 1.4x TC. Funny story on this one, we had visited a local school where my granddaughter was participating in an archery tournament, and when we left, this Red-shouldered Hawk swooped across the parking lot landing on one of the lights. I just happened to have my camera with me so I quickly grabbed a couple shots.
1CR_RedShoulder-CentralValleyMiddleSch(BCG)-NZ98925-NR-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm just getting used to shooting with the 600PF with the 1.4x TC. Funny story on this one, we had visited a local school where my granddaughter was participating in an archery tournament, and when we left, this Red-shouldered Hawk swooped across the parking lot landing on one of the lights. I just happened to have my camera with me so I quickly grabbed a couple shots. View attachment 80703
Did you handhold to shoot it?

Had a day to test out this lens with little to no light, I'll say I'm pretty impressed with sharpness along with ease of use/portability. I've tried all the big primes (400tc, 600tc, 800pf) and this 600pf is comparable IQ wise. Here's a few samples of it and I'll post more next week or so!

View attachment 80685View attachment 80688View attachment 80687View attachment 80684View attachment 80686
I’ve submitted merely serviceable shots from this lens… these are HIGH quality shots. Amazing stuff!

I had already come to respect and trust Steve Perry's advice.

The 600 mm pf came as a surprise; I was not aware that anyone had predicted its coming.
Yep…I had the 180-600 on order to go along with the 400/4.5, and 100-400 and it was backordered forever. Saw Steve's early take on the 600 and ordered it while cancelling the 180-600 and got the 600 in just a week or so. I find both it and the 100-400 to be excellent and use both with no issues sharpness wise or elsewhere. As Steve noted in his review of all the options later on…yeah, there are some minor differences at 200%…but then how often does one look at images at 200%. When downsampled for the screen or printed and viewed at an appropriate distance for the size of the print those differences at 200% just aren't there any more…although a lot of people get hung up on those pixel peeping differences…

And the 600 is a whole lot smaller and lighter which makes hand holding it pretty easy…

Here are two samples of the 600 pf, which seems to be the perfect travel/hiking lens. Here is a Townsend's Solitaire captured in Rocky Mountain National Park last month. I did use noise reduction in Lightroom on the Solitaire as the ISO was 1100 (thanks @Steve for the instructional video!).

_NZ93897-2-Enhanced-NR.jpg

This Black Turnstone was captured near Monterey, CA in December. This image is SOOC with no post, simply to demonstrate the IQ of this lens on a Z9.
_NZ90720-2.jpg

Last edited:
Great image of the Black Turnstone, a poster-bird for the Z600's IQ. Beautiful!

What time of day was this taken? Internet chatter suggests the 600 is not as strong at golden/blue hour, but fabulous in good light. Do you find the IQ weakens in challenging light?

Great image of the Black Turnstone, a poster-bird for the Z600's IQ. Beautiful!

What time of day was this taken? Internet chatter suggests the 600 is not as strong at golden/blue hour, but fabulous in good light. Do you find the IQ weakens in challenging light?
Thank you! (Your neck of the woods is fantastic. The image was actually captured at Point Joe's Vista!) This was taken at about 3PM, so lots of (not the best) light. I just added an image of a Townsend's Solitaire taken in Rocky Mountain National Park with considerably less light. And, while on the subject ... here is a House Sparrow captured during the golden hour. No post on this one either.

NZ9_9931-2.jpg

Last edited:
Have just taken delivery of my 600PF, and after an initial walk around down at my local wetland, I have to concur with all the above comments.
It's a superb lightweight prime that balances well on my Z9.

IMG_2864.jpg

Considering it's almost the same weight as the Z70-200 and only a couple of inches taller.

IMG_2863.jpg

The question is now, I'm keeping only 2, can you guess which ones are going on eBay?

IMG_2859.jpg

Cheers
Marc

Marc:

Great looking shots of the Z 600! On your question, my guess is - You'll sell off some useless furniture on eBay (kitchen table, couch, bed) and keep all four lenses, which are fantastic.

If I'm right, may I be the first to congratulate you on your wise decision. (y)
IF only Carmel, :giggle:

I need to sell 2 in order to fund the 600PF, so both the 500PF and 400/4.5 will be sold.

IF only Carmel, :giggle:

I need to sell 2 in order to fund the 600PF, so both the 500PF and 400/4.5 will be sold.
My current Z-lenses are the 600PF, the Z100-400, and the Z24-120. I think this covers all my bases. I also have the 1.4x TC, which gives me a bit more reach. I've been happy with my choices. I still have my 500PF, trying to talk my husband into using it with his DSLR instead of the 200-500 he currently has. Heck, I've been trying to talk him into my old D850, but he's rather set in his ways and continues to insist on using his old (very old) D7100. (Where's that eye-roll emoticon?)

Dang, I was going to guess 500PF and 70-200.
I’m actually seriously considering selling both my 70-200 because it rarely gets used. And the 24-70 because the 24-120 replaced it for me…and really the 400/4.5 as well because the 100-400 is plenty good enough for me and with that, the 600PF, and the TCs the only other one I would consider is the 180-600…and it’s a lot heavier than the 100-400 is…but I could see replacing the 100-400 with it.

I’m actually seriously considering selling both my 70-200 because it rarely gets used. And the 24-70 because the 24-120 replaced it for me…and really the 400/4.5 as well because the 100-400 is plenty good enough for me and with that, the 600PF, and the TCs the only other one I would consider is the 180-600…and it’s a lot heavier than the 100-400 is…but I could see replacing the 100-400 with it.
I am in the same boat. The reason I will keep the 100-400 is the close focus and the ease of travel vs the 180-600.

Had a day to test out this lens with little to no light, I'll say I'm pretty impressed with sharpness along with ease of use/portability. I've tried all the big primes (400tc, 600tc, 800pf) and this 600pf is comparable IQ wise. Here's a few samples of it and I'll post more next week or so!

View attachment 80685View attachment 80688View attachment 80687View attachment 80684View attachment 80686
I‘m still on the fence between the 800 pf and the 600pf. I am leaning toward the 800mm but these photos are not making my any choice any easier.

I‘m still on the fence between the 800 pf and the 600pf. I am leaning toward the 800mm but these photos are not making my any choice any easier.
The handling of the 600PF is a big consideration Ralph. Just so easy to grab, take on a hike and use... just saying. as 840 f9 it works really well. I will post some images taken well into blue hour and processed with the usual Demoise strategies (Adobe).

The handling of the 600PF is a big consideration Ralph. Just so easy to grab, take on a hike and use... just saying. as 840 f9 it works really well. I will post some images taken well into blue hour and processed with the usual Demoise strategies (Adobe).
Bruce, Thanks for the info. I‘m looking forward to those pictures. I‘m planning on a z8 purchase in the spring which will be my first mirrorless camera. I‘ll use my 500pf on the z8 for a while to study its features but at some point I will have to decide which lens to get. I’m in no hurry, just taking it all in and dreaming a little.

Back