Nikon 600PF - Share Photos & Discuss!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

To all of you who have posted such stunning photos taken with the 600mm f6.3:

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! Mine is on it's way!

Looks like we will be eating mild and cracker soup for a long, long time............
So, your lack of self control is due to the behavior of others? Sounds like the old Flip Wilson/Geraldine argument - "The devil made me do it!"
Ha-ha!! Enjoy your new lens.

To all of you who have posted such stunning photos taken with the 600mm f6.3:

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! Mine is on it's way!

Looks like we will be eating milk and cracker soup for a long, long time............
I will gladly accept all the blame for everyone in this thread in exchange for sharing your images here.
See I can trade all the blame with the cats for a few treats, and then they will go sleep it off.

So - tell me true - how does it take a 1.4 tele?

(4 weeks of physical therapy and my shoulder is not improving. I found swiping a credit card didn't bother my shoulder at all! Hubby is feeling the pain, though.............:oops:)
Takes a 1.4 with aplomb! If'n you're ok with f/9, that is...

(4 weeks of physical therapy and my shoulder is not improving. I found swiping a credit card didn't bother my shoulder at all! Hubby is feeling the pain, though.............:oops:)
This won't answer your question completely but this was done right after I got the lens.

I continue to think it takes it quite well.

We're seeing the Bald Eagles more often here in western PA these days. Taken this past week.

BCG-1CR_AdultPine-NZ91813-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This won't answer your question completely but this was done right after I got the lens.

I continue to think it takes it quite well.
Thank you for that. Were you on tripod?

To my eyes looking at these down-sampled images, it appears that DX was sharper/had more fined details than FX + 1.4. That is good to know especially if I don't have time to pop the TC on the lens.

Thank you for that. Were you on tripod?

To my eyes looking at these down-sampled images, it appears that DX was sharper/had more fined details than FX + 1.4. That is good to know especially if I don't have time to pop the TC on the lens.
I doubt it but not 100% sure. I never trust anything to sit still around here. I looked back saw I used 3200 SS which tells me I handheld as I was concerned with the distance. I also probably leaned against a wall, but you have that to factor in on a given shot. I think you will be quite pleased, but f9 means you need reasonable light of course.

This was taken with the TC

I doubt it but not 100% sure. I never trust anything to sit still around here. I looked back saw I used 3200 SS which tells me I handheld as I was concerned with the distance. I also probably leaned against a wall, but you have that to factor in on a given shot. I think you will be quite pleased, but f9 means you need reasonable light of course.

This was taken with the TC
Very nice catch! I agree I rarely use my 1.4tc unless it's a bright day. Although noise software does pretty good if you have to use a high ISO to get a fast enough SS.

Yeah, this lens is incredibly crisp and micro-contrasty, and because of that quality, it holds up to cropping very, very well. I think the only time I've used it with the 1.4TC was when testing it out vs. my 800PF, and aside from f/6.3 vs. f/9, felt that it more than matched the 800 (which in the end was the main reason I felt OK parting with it).

Here are a couple of warblers I saw this morning: Yellow-rumped and Palm. This spot I was shooting in was quite dim, so dealing with high ISOs. No issue at all, we're living in a golden age of NR and excellent sensor performance.
NIKON Z 8untitled_20241021_476-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg

NIKON Z 8untitled_20241021_231-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, Karen! I hope you get full recovery soon!

Anyway, just to make it worse for you, the 600PF + 1.4x TC works brilliantly, IMO. :) Some samples:

Z8 + 600PF + 1.4x TC, 1/320s f/9.0 at 840.0mm iso320

original.jpg

Z8 + 600PF + 1.4x TC, 1/320s f/9.0 at 840.0mm iso1100

original.jpg

Z8 + 600PF + 1.4x TC, 1/200s f/9.0 at 840.0mm iso64

original.jpg

Z8 + 600PF + 1.4x TC, 1/500s f/9.0 at 840.0mm iso4500

original.jpg

Z8 + 600PF + 1.4x TC, 1/160s f/9.0 at 840.0mm iso2200

original.jpg

Last edited:
Back