Nikon 800mm PF - 'long-term' experience

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

P

philippe

Now that the Nikon 800mm PF has been in public circulation for a number of months and for some maybe even close to a year, what are people's 'feelings' on it. Regrets? Kept it? Sold it? Expectations met? Satisfied with image quality? Changed to a different telezoom?

Nothing too detailed - just people's gut feelings on the lens. As the lens becomes more readily available in the shops, it might be of interest to know what early adopters now feel about the lens. Thanks!

I have only had mine for a couple of weeks -

I bought it as I thought the IQ was really very good on a lens I could almost afford.
For the first couple of shoots, I thought this is a lovely lens but perhaps not so useful as it is quite long
It has been mounted on a Z8 or Z9 permanently - the 180-600 - which I thought would be my primary lens - is not going to get the use I thought it would.
I photograph mostly birds at this stage - which obviously may not be the same for other people with this lens

Final thoughts - Recommended for birding photographers especially.

Over 15 months later....and from feedback earlier this year... I've no doubts about the 800 PF. Excellent lens, and it's been in almost daily action, especially for birds. I use the 800m and longer focal lengths often for tight framing of mammals, and where possible at longer subject distances.

It is not too heavy for handholding for shorter encounters with wildlife subjects, otherwise a light monopod support is useful.

This cadre of super telephoto is unforgiving of bad atmospherics and poor handling (magnifying shake), although the combined Lens VR+IBIS is impressive when required.

This chunky Vlei-Rat was munching away unconcernedly ~7m from where I was crouched, and I captured many frames in waning light at dusk. I kept turning down the shutter speed and a surprising percentage are sharp

Common Vlei-Rat, Otomys irroratus 1/250 ISO6400 Nikon Z9, 800 f6.3S PF

Otomys irroratus nibbling_F Cotterill-7012.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I've had it since it first shipped I believe last May 2022. The lens is light and awesome, I use it all the time and really love it. I used to mostly use the D850 (or D500) and 500pf but now it's the z9 (or Z8) and 800pf which I think which I think is like my old kit on steroids. Lucky me I also have the Z 400/2.8 TC so I mostly use that with the Z8

The 800 pf is Highly recommended!

I had my name in for the 600TC but when used 800pf in mint condition became available for a 25% discount I picked it up a month ago. As a video-centric shooter my most used lens is a adapted Sony 200-600 but I like to have a long prime for uber reach when shooting 4k120pDX (2.3x crop), and zooms+TC's aren't very sharp at extreme magnifications. Anyway, the lens performs very well and is super lightweight and relatively easy to carry. That said, I much prefer the flexibility of a zoom and won't need the 800pf very often, but at 1/3 the price of a 600TC, I can afford to keep it on the shelf for occasional use. Between the 800pf and coming 180-600 I've lost any desire for the 600TC. At this point if I do end up buying one of the exotics I'd likely go for the 400TC for the flexibility and low light capability. So for me, the 800pf serves a purpose, but it's not my primary lens.

I got my 800pf April 24 and it was on my Z9 for over 90% of the images until my Z8 arrived on June 18 and was on that for all except some initial test images with the Z70-200 until I sent if off last week for the lens mount fix. It is now back on my Z9. I mostly shoot birds, so the reach combined with the image quality is ideal. Undoubtedly the best birding lens I have ever had. My 500pf is sitting on the shelf. I do not miss the 1/3 stop as both Topaz and LightroomC do a great job at noise reduction for highish ISO. I also use occasionally for butterflies and even got a near frame-filling pic of a damselfly where image quality brought out amazing detail. I also echo Garfield that in that I have also lost my lust for 600TC. With the Z8, the carry around weight is near the D500/200-500 f5.6 I have carried around on travel. That said, I am in my late 70's and while much of my shooting is handheld it is from a fixed position. My only regret, if you can call it that, is that I loved my 500pf and do not really know what to do with it.

My feelings after two months of 800:
1: Totally satisfied with image quality, AF, VR.
2: Still not 100% convinced that it's worth to upgrade from a 500PF-TC1.4 combo.
3: Still annoyed by the placement of control rings/buttons when handheld.
4: Still annoyed by the lens cover/cap.
5: Will keep it anyway :)
I bought a Zemlin lens cap and love it. Fits just like a lens cap on every other lens. I have not used the stock cover since. I bought a second just in case I do something dumb and lose it.

I also have Zemlins 2 piece hood and love it. If it is windy I just use the back half.

If you order make sure to use the drop down box for the Nikon 800 to select the correct lens.

I hand hold the Z800 on my Z9 all of the time and since I use a target rifle hold with my longer Henjar replacement foot resting in the palm of my hand my control ring (most used for me to change exposure compensation) Everything is at my finger tips but I do not accidentally move things.

Ive had mine since 21-9-22, i use it 90% of the time attached to my z9, love the lens, great for walking around with when attached to a monopod & Wimberley monogimble! No regrets whatsoever
One of the side affects of my 800pf is that I had bought a monopod and wimberly mono gimbal for use with my 600 f/4E (sold long ago as soon as I got the 800pf) and now that great set up just sits in the closet :)

Ok, let's talk about some of the disadvantages. First, no advantage over the Z 600m TC with the TC engaged (except for weight and price!). But you exchange the increased weight and price by having both 600mm and 800mm. Second, I purchased it mostly for the 1120mm you get with the Z TC-14x. At the resultant f/10, cannot be hand held because of the high magnification and f stop, which precludes a higher shutter speed. Lastly, the increased magnification also effectively increases heat refraction, making many shots not possible because of loss of focus. As a walk around lens in situations where you are sure that you need the long reach, early in the morning, late in the afternoon, or on a cloudy day with not heat distortion, it is a great lens. I personally find myself using it less and less, as I prefer the increased flexibility of the 600mm TC, prefer using a tripod (making the weight less of an issue), and have been disappointed with the sharpness due to heat. I have not decided whether to keep it or sell it, will depend a bit on what my wife thinks of it on her Z8.

In general love it.

good points:
1.very good IQ
2.hand-hold ability
3. excellent VR

But few things to consider:
1. AF is not super fast. it is good but not excellent.
2. when shooting backlit subjects there is a drop in contrast - more than I like (wonder what other users think on this point??)
3. prone to heat haze affects - probably because it is 800mm and the shooting distance- meaning it is a factor of the inherit focal length

Sold it. Too heavy (for me) handheld. Too much heat distortion. Couldn't get used to the narrow field of view for BIF. Found myself using my 400 4.5 + 1.4 TC and 100-400 for its near macro features much more often than the 800. The 800 is a fine lens. Just wasn't for me.

How about "short term"? Impressed at every level. While a 600 f/4 + 1.4x TC offers more utility, the 800 f/6.3 is by far the best bird/long wildlife lens I've owned because of the confluence of many reasons. 1) Value, 2) Size/Weight (fits in my bag and I can handhold), 3) Performance (AF, VR, and sharpness). I appreciate that for some WL applications, it is not a good choice and the 180-600, 400 f/2.8, 600 f/4 might be more useful. If I recall correctly, the MFD is around 5m so reasonably close WL is still an option providing it fits in the frame. Downsides other than those mentioned are the lens hood (pricey Zemlin alternative?) and lens cover (many options). Those who complain about atmospheric effects - it isn't the lens per-se but the FL. Shooting on days with fog, heat, and other atmospheric issues simply isn't possible with any long lens. Heck, I've been in the dessert with a 70-200 and critters in your face and the images have been affected.

Ok, let's talk about some of the disadvantages. First, no advantage over the Z 600m TC with the TC engaged (except for weight and price!). But you exchange the increased weight and price by having both 600mm and 800mm. Second, I purchased it mostly for the 1120mm you get with the Z TC-14x. At the resultant f/10, cannot be hand held because of the high magnification and f stop, which precludes a higher shutter speed. Lastly, the increased magnification also effectively increases heat refraction, making many shots not possible because of loss of focus. As a walk around lens in situations where you are sure that you need the long reach, early in the morning, late in the afternoon, or on a cloudy day with not heat distortion, it is a great lens. I personally find myself using it less and less, as I prefer the increased flexibility of the 600mm TC, prefer using a tripod (making the weight less of an issue), and have been disappointed with the sharpness due to heat. I have not decided whether to keep it or sell it, will depend a bit on what my wife thinks of it on her Z8.
After the 600 TC came out I thought about it for the versatility you mention. But I not being a working pro I could no justify the weight and cost.

My situation is different than many I hike and hand hold while photographing birds for ID in all kinds of terrain and conditions with my subjects constantly changing. A "pretty" photo is secondary and incidental to my bird ID photography.

I purchased the Z800 for the focal length and mobility but I do not use either of my TC's on it. With the Z9 I have a 1 button push and hold set up on the Z800 to toggle between fx and dx which helps with focus on smaller more distant subjects that I would be cropping in post later anyway. It is a logistically a lot more manageable than my 600 f/4E was.

I always wanted the 800mm focal length but did not want the weight and cost off the f mount 800.

I have not used a tripod in several years. I have a some great legs and heads sitting in my closet waiting for the day I will want/need them again :)

The two negatives I see with the Z800 for me is a rare one where I the minimum focus distance 16.5 feet is to much. There are also times when a variable focal length lens for flocks or close range birds in flight like swallows are easier to deal with with my Z100-400 and that will probably be supplanted by the Z180-600 when it arrives.

The extra focal length does not increase atmospheric distortion (heat refraction) the atmospheric distortion caused by the difference in air and ground/water temperature (impacted by the humidity levels wind etc.) can happen at any time of the year and it can be hot or below freezing. The atmospheric distortion through a given column of air is the same no matter what focal length you are using. The only difference is with a longer focal length we tend to photograph things further away so through more atmosphere between the lens and the subject. Steve has a couple of good videos on the topic.

Sold it. Too heavy (for me) handheld. Too much heat distortion. Couldn't get used to the narrow field of view for BIF. Found myself using my 400 4.5 + 1.4 TC and 100-400 for its near macro features much more often than the 800. The 800 is a fine lens. Just wasn't for me.
The weight can be an issue for some (a lot lighter than my 600 f4E was). For some birds in flight like swallows or flock shots I still prefer my Z100-400 but those are infrequent. My wife still has not let me try the Z400 f/4.5 it seems to be glued to her Z7II she has not used either of our TC's on it yet.

The extra focal length does not increase atmospheric distortion (heat refraction) the atmospheric distortion caused by the difference in air and ground/water temperature (impacted by the humidity levels wind etc.) can happen at any time of the year and it can be hot or below freezing. The atmospheric distortion through a given column of air is the same no matter what focal length you are using. The only difference is with a longer focal length we tend to photograph things further away so through more atmosphere between the lens and the subject. Steve has a couple of good videos on the topic.

Back