Nikon 800PF Review For Wildlife Photographers (Official Discussion Thread)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Black-winged kite with 800 PF and the 1.4 TC:
black winged .jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Two from this weekend...
Now that I have 800mm w/ DX crop on my Z9 at my disposal, I wonder how I ever managed to photograph what I did at 500mm, 400mm, and 300mm. The extra 300mm allows me to watch my subjects at a more respectful distance and give them the opportunity to stay or go... there is a real calm that occurs when you sense that one's threat becomes a source of curiosity instead of fear.
View attachment 55282View attachment 55283
"Two from this weekend...
Now that I have 800mm w/ DX crop on my Z9 at my disposal, I wonder how I ever managed to photograph what I did at 500mm, 400mm, and 300mm. The extra 300mm allows me to watch my subjects at a more respectful distance and give them the opportunity to stay or go... there is a real calm that occurs when you sense that one's threat becomes a source of curiosity instead of fear."

Spot on, What i've found now is the calm that occurs means that they often come closer as more relaxed without seeing me as an immediate threat.

A couple from the 800 PF with very low shutter speeds as I was in a very dark forested area These are completely free standing and no bracing against anything. I must say that the VR/IBIS combo is amazing. Best viewed by clicking on image for full size:

Z9 + 800 PF, 1/40s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso720

original.jpg

Crop of above

original.jpg

Z9 + 800 PF, 1/50s f/6.3 at 800.0mm iso640

original.jpg

A couple from the 800 PF with very low shutter speeds as I was in a very dark forested area These are completely free standing and no bracing against anything. I must say that the VR/IBIS combo is amazing. Best viewed by clicking on image for full size: .....
It's hard to believe you can get images that sharp handholding an 800mm lens with those low shutter speeds.
As you said, the VR/IBIS combo is amazing. So is your shooting technique & skill.

It's hard to believe you can get images that sharp handholding an 800mm lens with those low shutter speeds.
As you said, the VR/IBIS combo is amazing. So is your shooting technique & skill.
I can't say how good or bad my technique is compared to other people's ability but the results seem to show that the VR/IBIS system is brilliant. Nikon states an ability to shoot up to 5 stops slower with the VR/IBIS and looking at my results it seems to be about right. If we assume that 1/focal length is the old norm, then 1/40>1/80>1/160>1/320>1/640>1/1280 so about 4.5 stops with the examples above.

Very impressive indeed. More impressive are the birds sat motionless for 1/40 of a sec.
Thank you very much, Robert. This Eastern Yellow Robin does have a tendency to sit dead still for decent amounts of time. However, many birds will sit still for 1/40sec and this is where 20 fps can help as you will get at least one of those frames of a still bird. In this case, I only rattled off 3 frames each one perfectly sharp.

Just something to keep an eye out for if you're carrying the setup using the strap lugs on the 800PF: after several outings, I've returned home to find a few hundred blank shots thanks to the Z9's vertical grip button been unknowingly switched on. Figured out that it is being caused by the camera strap, which is attached to the 800PF's strap lugs, rubbing against the switch while the camera/lens is hanging at my side, or when I transition it from shooting to hanging.

That vertical grip switch is the worst design feature of an otherwise brilliant camera. I'll either tape the switch, or find another way to carry the rig, probably by mounting the strap to the tripod foot, but I abhor the loss of control as the camera/lens hang+swing upside down from my shoulder as I walk through the woods.

Just watch a Gray's of Westminster video w/ the 600 TC, and they carry the setup with camera strap attached to camera body :oops: While this would solve the issue for me, I don't think that is feasible for a setup of this weight, because the rule of thumb is if lens has place to attach strap, that's how Nikon intends the lens to be carried to avoid undue stress on the mount.

Just something to keep an eye out for if you're carrying the setup using the strap lugs on the 800PF: after several outings, I've returned home to find a few hundred blank shots thanks to the Z9's vertical grip button been unknowingly switched on. Figured out that it is being caused by the camera strap, which is attached to the 800PF's strap lugs, rubbing against the switch while the camera/lens is hanging at my side, or when I transition it from shooting to hanging.

That vertical grip switch is the worst design feature of an otherwise brilliant camera. I'll either tape the switch, or find another way to carry the rig, probably by mounting the strap to the tripod foot, but I abhor the loss of control as the camera/lens hang+swing upside down from my shoulder as I walk through the woods.

Just watch a Gray's of Westminster video w/ the 600 TC, and they carry the setup with camera strap attached to camera body :oops: While this would solve the issue for me, I don't think that is feasible for a setup of this weight, because the rule of thumb is if lens has place to attach strap, that's how Nikon intends the lens to be carried to avoid undue stress on the mount.
I take it this is your first "flagship" body? Or use with a vertical grip?

With a lug attached to the mounting threads in the foot or with a third party foot the rig hangs pretty well horizontal from a black rapids type strap. It is easily balanced and stopped from swinging about by simply keeping a hand on it while walking.

I take it this is your first "flagship" body? Or use with a vertical grip?

With a lug attached to the mounting threads in the foot or with a third party foot the rig hangs pretty well horizontal from a black rapids type strap. It is easily balanced and stopped from swinging about by simply keeping a hand on it while walking.
I shot w/ a 1DX2 + 600 f/4 for a year, mounted the same way using the lugs, and never had this issue, but the 1DX2's vertical grip switch was in a spot that it wouldn't rub.

Never tried strap to tripod foot, but it may be worth looking into. Does the weight of the Z9 make things more unbalanced?

I carry mine at times with my leather shoulder harness/strap. I have a QD directly on the leather strap, and I replaced the Nikon foot with a Kirk foot that accepts the QD. Attached to the QD loop I have an emergency tether that has a QD attached to it as well. This QD then attaches to the L-Bracket that I permanently leave on my Z9 which accepts the QD. This tether is kept loose to avoid putting the body and lens in a bind; it merely serves as an emergency tether if the main QD breaks or disconnects for any reason. I can then easily raise the camera for shots, or quickly detach it for stowing or for putting on a tripod (all arca-swiss). Work very well for me.

I shot w/ a 1DX2 + 600 f/4 for a year, mounted the same way using the lugs, and never had this issue, but the 1DX2's vertical grip switch was in a spot that it wouldn't rub.

Never tried strap to tripod foot, but it may be worth looking into. Does the weight of the Z9 make things more unbalanced?
The Z9 with the 800mm PF is the just about the best balanced long lens camera combination I have owned. With a black rapid strap attached to the tripod foot, the camera and lens are perfectly horizontal when hanging at my side. The 500mm PF was too light and so I had to keep the camera supported so that the lens isn't pointing up

Ripped a 20fps RAW burst the other morning - no light - a sunny day would help huge. An image like this would print at 48" x 12" at 300dpi - double that at 150dpi (ending stitched resolution is 15,118 x 3,719 pixels). I just aligned and masked it in Photoshop for fun.
Mallard 20 fps Compilation - NZ9_2475-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

So, fellas, I just found a solution. Peak Design anchor on a QD socket at rear of the Hejnar foot, and use the left-side lens lug. Eliminates not only the vertical grip issue, but also removes the annoyance of the right side of the strap being in the way when trying to bring the camera up to eye (when strap is attached to right-side lug). Best part, is that the whole rig lies pointing down alongside my hip/thigh. I did try it with both strap ends anchoring to the foot, but do not like how it dangles horizontal, as it sticks out and will catch on brush/twigs/etc when in the woods.

iPhone 14 Prountitled_20230315_01-2.jpg

Back