Nikon 800PF Review For Wildlife Photographers (Official Discussion Thread)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The thought that ran through my head this morning is for the price I'm about to pay when my 400GM order comes through this month I could buy a Z9 and this 800PF. Crazy good deal. But I think for now I'll just stick with my full Sony kit having already sold my Z9. It is all about the A1 for me....not the lens.

I hear ya. FWIW, I was lucky enough to stumble upon a 400 2.8 GM (I happened to mention I might be interested in one about the same time a guy canceled his order). I haven't used the lens a ton, but man, it's a fun option. Crazy sharp as you'd expect and it handles really well too. Having access to 2.8 is wonderful for close subject at dawn / dusk. I think you'll like it.

Reactions: Hut
One of my greatest points of enjoyment over the past two years are the jabs at the 'photograher' with the hair guy on Youtube, by more than a few actual photographers! Thanks for your PS -- LMAO

In Steve's video I saw the the Arca Swiss plate was attached with 2 screws. Steve can you tell us how long the plate was? Need to order one since a replacement foot will not be available any time soon.

In Steve's video I saw the the Arca Swiss plate was attached with 2 screws. Steve can you tell us how long the plate was? Need to order one since a replacement foot will not be available any time soon.
I have a extra Kirk foot for my 600 f/4 E that I replaced with a Hejnar ... who knows maybe it will accidentally work on the 800 after all the 70-200 and 100-400 use the same foot ... not holding my breath.

Steve what do you consider close. I like to shoot Great Horned Owls at dusk. I currently use a A1 with the 100-400 GM. I'm considering a 400 2.8 GM, a 600 f4 GM or possibly this new 800 pf after watching your preliminary review. I like the mobility and hand hold ability at lower shutter speeds of the pf. It's the f 6.3 at low light which I have concerns about, versus the other lenses.

Steve what do you consider close. I like to shoot Great Horned Owls at dusk. I currently use a A1 with the 100-400 GM. I'm considering a 400 2.8 GM, a 600 f4 GM or possibly this new 800 pf after watching your preliminary review. I like the mobility and hand hold ability at lower shutter speeds of the pf. It's the f 6.3 at low light which I have concerns about, versus the other lenses.
Aren't you already shooting f5.6 with the 100-400?

Won't you still need support for dusk/after sunset shots no matter what? I was recently shooting an Eastern Screech-Owl at dusk and I was down to 1/20th-1/50th on a 600/f4, so no matter how good the stabilization was I needed support.... but maybe you are shooting in more light then I was :)

That's an old one - I have no idea where we got it.

Can anyone confirm that first shipments will be this month? I think I heard that somewhere

Nikon told me late April, that seems about as confirmed as you can get I would think.

If you have a Sony I'd stick with that :). Seriously, the 400 2.8 and 2X isn't a heck of a lot bigger, although it is heavier.

As for the F/stop, as I mentioned in the video, I don't think it's that big of a deal, it's only 1/3rd stop better than you can get with a 400 and @x or 600 and 1.4.

I would be surprised it was not the same as the f mount telephotos.

Nikon told me late April, that seems about as confirmed as you can get I would think.

Per Nikon news release... The NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S lens will be available starting in April 2022 for a suggested retail price (SRP) $6,499.95*. For more information about the latest Nikon products, including other NIKKOR Z lenses and the complete collection of Z series cameras, please visit nikonusa.com.

Looking through the 800 f6.3 threads on DP, FM, Nikon Café and here, there doesn't seem to as much interest in pre-orders as what the 14$ 400mm f2.8 TC had.
800 mm just to exotic for most?

I think 800 is always going to be a more specialized focal length. When I thought the price would be around the $10K mark I had zero interest in the lens as I'd rather have more flexibility to start out at 600/4 or even 400/2.8 and then add TCs. However at $6500 I'd have a lot more interest in this lens to be an addition to another faster lens (like the Nikon 400Z).

I think given the price, Nikon will sell a lot of these...if this had been $10K+ they would sell a lot less.

yeah your right Northern I'm shooting 5.6 at 400mm most of the time and probably would prefer a bit more reach. Sometimes I feel like I'm intruding on the owl's personal space, even though it ignores me most of the time, lol.

Steve thanks for the comment, I will probably decide between the 600 f4 and the 800 pf since a lot of the places I go are limited access due to conservation restrictions.

As for the lenses I see the 800 pf as a very good hand holdable, long reach, mobility option that seems to do fairly well in bad light conditions. The 600 f4 GM is faster and provides a way for me to stay out longer in lower light, plus having the versatility of being able to use teleconverters for added length if needed. Of course, putting a teleconverter on a 600mm f4 in the field when its not on a tripod could be a challenge for me, lol. That being said, both options are pretty similar in price because I would need to purchase the Z9 as well. I realize Nikon's backlog, and long wait times are a drawback to the Z system, but I do have the A1 with the 100-400 as a back up, so I am not without anything to shoot with.

Palmor I was most likely shooting in better light than you when I first arrived on location. As the sun goes down the owl's get more active and that's the lens I'm looking for. That 30 minutes before the sun goes down lens. That compromise of mobility, flexibility and low light performance when the sun is going down.

Thanks for the comments and the help, much appreciated. The people on this forum have forgotten more about photography than I will ever know, lol.

When I originally ordered my 500 PF I ordered a Hejnar foot. I got the Hejnar foot way sooner lol
I have been e mailing back and forth with Hejnar ... he looked at Steve's Video and said he can set up and produce it fairly quickly but will need to get a stock foot first and is working on that but still will be after the 800 pf starts shipping.

Reactions: Hut
Back