Nikon Z6iii Review, Press Release, And Photos - Official Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am not sure of this which leads me to a question for the group. Cycle AF would seem simple to add to the button choices so it seems like a choice was made not to have it. Bird SD is probably more complicated.
Looks like you can set the FN1 and FN2 button to choose an AF mode with AF-On I think.
How do the U1,2,3 dial stops work on the Z cameras - haven't used them. Are they similar to banks and would they be useful for merely changing AF mode?
You’re right…could be model differentiation or they could have been working on the Z6III software separately. But with the same processor…the code for both another button choice and Bird ID is already written…and the processor doesn’t care what body it is connected to in order to run that code. It could be either.

Banks vs U modes. They are fundamentally the same thing but with 2 differences. Banks remember a few more things. The big difference is that U modes are sticky…you set them and store them and then even if you change things during a session…a power cycle or reselecting the U# again returns to the saved set…they’re sticky. Banks remain at what they were last at unless you reload settings. U modes work fine as they remember AF modes…at least on a Z7II…so they could be used for changing AF modes as can the Fn buttons on a Z7II IIRC.

Via NikonRumors which reposted from Nikon Z6iii Users Facebook: A photographyer in Malaysia already received theirs. They have a picture of the box which clearly says 24-120 kit. Here in USA, though, you can only get 24-70 f4 kit. Will 24-120 kit be coming to our country?
I question the veracity of that NR post. If it's correct, this must be the first camera Nikon has released without the basic documentation, namely instruction Manuals. They publish these on line before the product reaches customers.

You’re right…could be model differentiation or they could have been working on the Z6III software separately. But with the same processor…the code for both another button choice and Bird ID is already written…and the processor doesn’t care what body it is connected to in order to run that code. It could be either.

Banks vs U modes. They are fundamentally the same thing but with 2 differences. Banks remember a few more things. The big difference is that U modes are sticky…you set them and store them and then even if you change things during a session…a power cycle or reselecting the U# again returns to the saved set…they’re sticky. Banks remain at what they were last at unless you reload settings. U modes work fine as they remember AF modes…at least on a Z7II…so they could be used for changing AF modes as can the Fn buttons on a Z7II IIRC.
I've heard directly from someone at Nikon that they have separate teams working on firmware for each camera. We're not talking about large teams, and they reuse code and have a standard framework with camera specific parameters. But they do separate the teams doing the work, they separately decide what is included and what is not, and there is ongoing development and enhancement that gets added but needs to be prioritized, scheduled, and tested. With a new camera, the firmware and hardware need to be final far in advance. If Ricci was testing the camera for more than four months, the firmware decisions were probably made a year ago. The code is linked to the body in many specific cases because you have different sensor readout speeds, different power available, different file sizes and formats, etc. Someone from Nikon described it as "tuning" - the same code can be set with different parameters.

I've also heard directly from Nikon that there are ongoing enhancements included in every firmware update. Subject detection, stickiness and tracking have ongoing adjustment and improvement. Training subject identification is an ongoing effort - not something at the individual team working on firmware for an individual camera is directly involved with. So the Animal ID we used in earlier cameras does not exist any more - it is updated and reflects all the ongoing training that has taken place to improve subject identification even if Bird ID is not a separate choice.

One of the things we learned with the earlier Z cameras is the image we see through the EVF is the one used for on sensor focus. Nikon has just changed the data being read from the sensor. They are populating an EVF with more data - 5.7 megapixels on the Z6iii compared with 3.7 MP on the Z8. That alone should improve focus, but it's more data and a slower readout, so the refresh rate and processor speed also matter.

I did a quick search and found the 24-120 kit (as well as 24-70 kit) available in Germany. So it must be regional, but I hope they offer it in USA. I did see on B&H a bundle and save offer where you get $200 off 24-120 (through end of June) if you buy it with a body. So maybe this is USA version of the kit or maybe they will offer the kit once this promo ends?

I've heard directly from someone at Nikon that they have separate teams working on firmware for each camera. We're not talking about large teams, and they reuse code and have a standard framework with camera specific parameters. But they do separate the teams doing the work, they separately decide what is included and what is not, and there is ongoing development and enhancement that gets added but needs to be prioritized, scheduled, and tested. With a new camera, the firmware and hardware need to be final far in advance. If Ricci was testing the camera for more than four months, the firmware decisions were probably made a year ago. The code is linked to the body in many specific cases because you have different sensor readout speeds, different power available, different file sizes and formats, etc. Someone from Nikon described it as "tuning" - the same code can be set with different parameters.

I've also heard directly from Nikon that there are ongoing enhancements included in every firmware update. Subject detection, stickiness and tracking have ongoing adjustment and improvement. Training subject identification is an ongoing effort - not something at the individual team working on firmware for an individual camera is directly involved with. So the Animal ID we used in earlier cameras does not exist any more - it is updated and reflects all the ongoing training that has taken place to improve subject identification even if Bird ID is not a separate choice.

One of the things we learned with the earlier Z cameras is the image we see through the EVF is the one used for on sensor focus. Nikon has just changed the data being read from the sensor. They are populating an EVF with more data - 5.7 megapixels on the Z6iii compared with 3.7 MP on the Z8. That alone should improve focus, but it's more data and a slower readout, so the refresh rate and processor speed also matter.
True…but even with different teams they have general guidelines on how to write code…and while a lot of the code is body specific…for the most part AF and SD and button assignments aren’t really body or sensor specific. It isn’t zero work to take (for instance)…the code for figuring out where the bird eye is or for assigning a menu option to a button and move it over…but brining over working and already debugged code that doesn’t really depend on sensor speeds and such is a lot easier than separating over. Separate teams doesn’t mean they write completely different code…they all write it the manikin way’…which makes it a lot more portable as they’re likely writing in a high level language rather than machine specific code.

I wasn’t implying it was zero effort…but it isn’t as hard as the ‘separate teams’ idea implies it is. As I said in another post…they’ve got a record of rolling out significant firmware upgrades including some that came to the Z8 first…so absent some business decision to not put the features in the Z6III why assume they won’t? Adding the features won’t be as important as fixing a major bug of course…but why wouldn’t they be in the pipeline?

True…but even with different teams they have general guidelines on how to write code…and while a lot of the code is body specific…for the most part AF and SD and button assignments aren’t really body or sensor specific. It isn’t zero work to take (for instance)…the code for figuring out where the bird eye is or for assigning a menu option to a button and move it over…but brining over working and already debugged code that doesn’t really depend on sensor speeds and such is a lot easier than separating over. Separate teams doesn’t mean they write completely different code…they all write it the manikin way’…which makes it a lot more portable as they’re likely writing in a high level language rather than machine specific code.

I wasn’t implying it was zero effort…but it isn’t as hard as the ‘separate teams’ idea implies it is. As I said in another post…they’ve got a record of rolling out significant firmware upgrades including some that came to the Z8 first…so absent some business decision to not put the features in the Z6III why assume they won’t? Adding the features won’t be as important as fixing a major bug of course…but why wouldn’t they be in the pipeline?
You're right. And with a new camera, I bet much of the time is being spent on adjusting parameters, testing, and adjusting again. We certainly know that if they try to squeeze out higher performance and something works poorly, the problems will be amplified.

1. I think it's all new
2. No idea...
3. I didn't really have enough time to tell and not enough time for any side by sides.
4. Probably not, I'm planning to keep mine less than 25K - usually less than 12.8K.
5. I think it's 60FPS
6. I didn't have a chance to test it.
7. That was the one and only :)
Thank you for the answers 🙏😀

5,6iii,9.
Image SOOC jpg at 3200 ISO. Looks pretty damn clean to me.
Cortado had PTSD from his vet visit, hence the eyes.
Z6iii weighs 56% of Z9, and feels great in hand. First impression is will suit my general travel camera needs very well but will also be able to handle the wildlife I find on those trips.

1719491200847.png

Adobe is showing support for the Z6iii including camera matching profiles now (you can filter the list for Nikon only or scroll). They do not mention Pixel shift like they do for the Z8.

(**) Support for Nikon Z 8 Pixel Shift images is currently available only in Camera Raw 16.1.1. Support in Lightroom products will be added in a future release. In the meantime, Z 8 Pixel Shift images can be converted to DNG in Camera Raw 16.1.1 or exported to a non-raw format such as TIFF in Nikon NX Studio and imported into Lightroom.

So if you choose Continuous H Extended to get 20FPS the camera doesn't allow Mechanical so leaving D6 on Auto seems to make sense.

What I found confusing was the shutter sounds. They all sound mechanical to me and don't seem to sound like the Z9.
Anyone else have a reaction to these sounds?

1719520535037.png

The mechanical shutter does have a mechanical sound. Of course the Z9 sounds are synthetic. I used electronic once today and it was very silent like the Z9 but I had the sound turned on but at 1 and type Z I did not take time to play around with the other sounds.

The mechanical shutter does have a mechanical sound. Of course the Z9 sounds are synthetic. I used electronic once today and it was very silent like the Z9 but I had the sound turned on but at 1 and type Z I did not take time to play around with the other sounds.
What confused me though was in High Extended Release Mode which should be electronic (mechanical is greyed out in that release mode) it sounded mechanical when the shutter type was on Auto. If I put it on electronic only, not auto, it sounds electronic.

What confused me though was in High Extended Release Mode which should be electronic (mechanical is greyed out in that release mode) it sounded mechanical when the shutter type was on Auto. If I put it on electronic only, not auto, it sounds electronic.
In one of @SteveS videos he indicated that auto is intended to use mechanical and electronic interchangeably depending on the situation. He said he was using electronic only most of the time. He also said that in some cases with birds with fast moving wings etc. he had seen the rolling shutter issue. Since I regularly photograph birds in flight etc. I have left it on auto and have noticed the mechanical shutter sound and not sure when the electronic did or did not kick in. Will have to read the manual more carefully to see if I can find anything more definitive about when auto uses which mode?

In one of @SteveS videos he indicated that auto is intended to use mechanical and electronic interchangeably depending on the situation. He said he was using electronic only most of the time. He also said that in some cases with birds with fast moving wings etc. he had seen the rolling shutter issue. Since I regularly photograph birds in flight etc. I have left it on auto and have noticed the mechanical shutter sound and not sure when the electronic did or did not kick in. Will have to read the manual more carefully to see if I can find anything more definitive about when auto uses which mode?
That's what got me wondering but then I see when you put the camera in H Extended and go to shutter, mechanical is greyed out, so even though it sound mechanical I think it's electronic. NX Studio will only show Auto.

That's what got me wondering but then I see when you put the camera in H Extended and go to shutter, mechanical is greyed out, so even though it sound mechanical I think it's electronic. NX Studio will only show Auto.
The only way to get 20 fps is to select Electronic shutter, or to have the camera select it for you under the proper conditions. If the sound is different between Auto and Electronic, you're getting Mechanical (14 fps) using Auto.

The only way to get 20 fps is to select Electronic shutter, or to have the camera select it for you under the proper conditions. If the sound is different between Auto and Electronic, you're getting Mechanical (14 fps) using Auto.
Figured it out. Yes you MUST switch to Electronic shutter for 20FPS. This is unfortunate in my mind as I would rather be in Auto and let the H extended override that. So now I have added that to the iMenu. There are advantages to Auto shown below. So best to have a way to switch easily.

1719583097325.png

1719585215772.png

Last edited:
So if you choose Continuous H Extended to get 20FPS the camera doesn't allow Mechanical so leaving D6 on Auto seems to make sense.

What I found confusing was the shutter sounds. They all sound mechanical to me and don't seem to sound like the Z9.
Anyone else have a reaction to these sounds?

View attachment 92106
It would appear that if you have it in auto and you select a shutter speed over 1/2000 s that it will only use mechanical.

I also wonder what lenses can not use mechanical shutter?

Figured it out. Yes you MUST switch to Electronic shutter for 20FPS. This is unfortunate in my mind as I would rather be in Auto and let the H extended override that. So now I have added that to the iMenu. There are advantages to Auto shown below. So best to have a way to switch easily.

View attachment 92164

View attachment 92170
It would appear that if you have it in auto and you select a shutter speed over 1/2000 s that it will only use mechanical since electronic front-curtain shutter only allows a max of 1/2000 s .

A couple of things I watched.

RAW shooting 6400 ISO images and rolling shutter review with a swinging baseball bat. Conclusion - great RAW files, and rolling shutter minimal; switch to mechanical if any concerns.

Subjective opinion - Animal AF might be better on Z6iii than Z9. Bird is better though. Not linked - Irwin thinks Bird will come to Z6iii.

Back