Of all the camera's you've used/owned what's your favorite?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My K1000/photography class was 1984 👍

My #1 favorite camera is by a mile the Sony Alpha 1 😎
It leaves no doubts

Minolta Maxxum 7000, Maxxum 700si, Sony a100, Sony a700, Sony a99, Sony a99ii, Sony a9ii, Sony a1.

My favorite it the a1. It's not sentimental, it's just the most capable tool for the job. I will say that the a99 produced some beautiful files.

My favorite film camera was the manual focus, manual exposure Leicaflex SL. I still have it with a couple of the lenses.
My favorite digital camera (no contest!) is the Sony a1. I never found a DSLR camera that I liked anywhere near as much as these two.

From my film days, my FA, 8008, and N90.

From my DSLR days (you know, like last week), the D850, D5/6, and D500

All time favorite, Sony a1 - nothing else is even close. The camera feels like it's working with you to get the shot and if I do my job, it does its job. I don't think I've ever has more fun with any camera.

That’s a tough one.
‘Canon Eos 1v has to be up there in film days, what a workhorse, never failed.
‘Leica M6 for street photography. The rangefinder, the silky smooth manual focus, the 50mm sumilux…
‘And the Sony A1 - the first do it all camera that morphs to you.

Mine would be the Nikon D850 second place and the Sony A1 in first. The Sony A1 for me is just a joy to use and the size is absolutely perfect.
And yes, even though I don't have as much overall experience as many here the A1 is hands down the best camera I've used... by a lot!

Reactions: Hut
The K1000 with black and white film might be different but not as much fun without the dark room experience. 😎
I have the Asahi Spotmatic my father bought about the time I was born, thought about doing some black and white with that. Really force you to slow down. But you're right, without souping the film yourself, might not be quite the experience.

Reactions: Hut
From the film days, tie between EOS3 with eye control (camera focuses where I look) and the F5 which never seemed to fail to get the correct exposure. for Digital, the Z9.

Tough question as I still own 8 Nikon bodies 6 DSLR's and 2 Mirrorless. For the longest period of ownership of DSLR's since the D70's (2006) I'd have to say the D700 was the Camera that gave me the WOW factor for Landscape and photographing Family Portraits. However, I'd have to say my favorite that I enjoy to this day is the D850. Perhaps after another 8 months of figuring out the Z9 it could be the favorite, but there's still a lot of Love for the D850.

not necessarily the best but your favorite. Maybe for sentimental reasons or cause it was so much fun, etc.

The camera's I've owned...

in the early 70's a Kodak instamatic as a kid (I got a shot of Evel Knievel popping a wheelie during the Thanksgiving Day parade in NYC when I was 9).

MANY years later (1995) a Canon EOS (don't remember which but entry level) film camera which I took on trips to Nepal, Tibet and India

A Pentax K1000 which I bought for a photography class in 1996

Then from 2006 through last May a Nikon D70, D200, D7000, D600, D800, D810, D500 and 2 x D850's

And now an A7RIV and A1

The Kodak stands out for being the first, the Canon for the trips I took with it. The Pentax because I loved that photography class. The D800 onward because that's when I started getting into wildlife. The Sony's because I love shooting mirrorless and the A1 is the bomb.

But the winner for me would be the D200. That's when I went from someone who was curious about photography to someone who started carrying a camera much of the time and more importantly really started seeing the world in terms of shape and light, etc.

Yours?
Pentax Spotmatic. There was something tactile about it - cold steel in your hands, the film advance lever, and the shutter - well, just an amazing sound. But hell, the film was a PITA!

My father's 35mm Exakta in a leather case (2 front covers) with all the attachments in an aluminum case with 3 lenses and tub extender was my favorite. The first time he let me take the camera on a class trip to Washington D.C., that day I knew he trusted me. My next move was using his pride and joy, his Rolleiflex, but I always went back to the Exakta. Then I inherited from my father's best friend a Brinica S2A and my first jump into 2 1\4 format. My first purchase was a Nikon N90 and then a N90S after a scuba housing leak took care of the N90 (along with the lens). Some of the lenses I still have and use with my D850 & D500 to this day. AS the former owner of Cameras Ect, Jim Cycyk once stated "Nikon glass is Nikon Glass" after looking some of my pictures and I have to agree with him. Then I heard about this new format called digital and the bug bit me. The Nikon D100 was delivered the week it was released and for the almost 20 years it was my go to camera. Its sometimes worth the trip down memory lane.

Last edited:
Hard to pin one down as a favourite as there are many due to different reasons etc.

Pentax ME Super film camera in January 1981 - my first "real camera", an SLR!
Pentax *ist D APS-C DSLR in July 2004 - my first DSLR and brought back the memories of the days of my first "real camera" see above.
Nikon D700 in May 2010 - my first Full Frame DSLR. Even when I had the Pentax *ist D which was an APS-C camera but I always wanted to have full frame.
Nikon Z7 in October 2018 - my first ML camera. I was very much anti EVF from the Sony camera's I had looked at, but once I saw how good the Nikon Z7 was, I was hooked. The new Z mount promised better results for lenses and the new mount really delivered.
Nikon Z9 in December 2021 - took the Z7 to a new level, like the D850 but on steroids!

There were many cameras in-between all these cameras above, but these are the standouts. Honourable mention is the Nikon D850.

The 35 mm camera which has spent the most time with me was the original Olympus XA ( still have it ), favourite SLR was Pentax K2 DMD ( I actually have all the original K series ). For DSLR its a tie between my D500 and D850 although still have a very soft spot for D90.

My best cameras have been my D850 and now Z9. But my favorites are my first Nikon — a Nikkormat bought some 40 years ago (later stolen from my dorm room) and more recently, my Df (which unfortunately I decided to sell when I got a Z6). And I still like my Leica M6 a lot, although I do not use it anymore.

I love and I mean loved my D850. I think it was the best all around DSLR ever made. But there is no comparison to the Sony A1. This camera is a dream to work with. Small, light, crazy fast, customizable, silent shutter, science fiction like auto focus and 50MP. So that makes the Sony A1 my favorite by a large margin. It is not even in the same league as everything else that I have ever owned.

What I've owned -
Digital: Nikon D700, D750, D850, Z6
Film: Nikon F2 and F100, Mamiya RZ67, Hassleblad 500cm

Of the digital cameras, the D850 is by far the best camera I've ever owned, it just like like part of my body now, effortless to get the shot. I shoot film for fun and had a Hasselblad 500CM for a few years that I sold to buy a 400 2.8 for wildlife. It was definitely the right decision in terms of making money and getting serious about wildlife, but damn if I don't miss it. Just felt perfect in my hands, beautiful images, beautiful mechanical sounds, just an absolute pleasure to use. Hopefully I'll get another one soon.

I love and I mean loved my D850. I think it was the best all around DSLR ever made. But there is no comparison to the Sony A1. This camera is a dream to work with. Small, light, crazy fast, customizable, silent shutter, science fiction like auto focus and 50MP. So that makes the Sony A1 my favorite by a large margin. It is not even in the same league as everything else that I have ever owned.
I feel exactly the same about those 2. LOVED the D850 and it's leagues behind the A1.

What I've owned -
Digital: Nikon D700, D750, D850, Z6
Film: Nikon F2 and F100, Mamiya RZ67, Hassleblad 500cm

Of the digital cameras, the D850 is by far the best camera I've ever owned, it just like like part of my body now, effortless to get the shot. I shoot film for fun and had a Hasselblad 500CM for a few years that I sold to buy a 400 2.8 for wildlife. It was definitely the right decision in terms of making money and getting serious about wildlife, but damn if I don't miss it. Just felt perfect in my hands, beautiful images, beautiful mechanical sounds, just an absolute pleasure to use. Hopefully I'll get another one soon.
My Hassy 500 was one of the last they made before switching to the 500 CM, and has the removable focusing screen. If Nikon wants to create shutter sounds for the Z9, they should try creating one that mimics the Hassy's Compur shutter "Pop!" That sound added to make a great camera and film pairing into an unforgettable creation. I wish I could get a good and inexpensive adapter to mount my Nikon telephoto lenses onto that camera.

The Fuji X100V is my favorite camera of all time. It's a generalist camera, not able to do macro as well as my X-T4 or wildlife or portraits as well as my Z9, but it can do everything else well, and it does it in a solid, super-compact, and fun-to-use package. It even has some fun toys to play with, with its OVF, leaf shutter, aperture lever, and film simulations.

Where I carry other cameras in a sling bag and get them out to shoot, the X100V lives around my neck or in a coat pocket, appears instantly to do its job, and then disappears until I need it again. I've played soccer with the kids and gone sledding with it, and it sees rain and snow. It gets the candids and unexpected sunset images that my other cameras miss because they're at home in a cabinet.

The only things that would have me upgrade would be an IBIS system, 1:2 macro, or some kind of magic Tri-Elmar-like lens, which is obviously pure fantasy.

Other personal high-water marks for me was my Olympus E-10 (got me into digital photography), 5D (the first camera I had that was better than me), Olympus E-P1 (which showed me that it was time to say goodbye to my DSLRs), and Z6 (which got me excited about photography again after taking years off when my kids were born). My Z9 now feels like it's going to earn its place, too.

Back