Official Nikon 600mm TC Info + My Full First Look Review

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The built-in TC is a game changer! Makes me consider selling my Sony 600 and one of my A1s for a Z9 and 600. But then I'd have to be comfortable switching back and forth between two complex highly customizable camera systems.

Wow and yeah I don't think I will start selling any of my body parts just yet since I'm still on the DSLR side and very happy with my 600mm f/4. Perhaps one day when I decide to go to the dark side but I'm glad Nikon is starting to slow roll things out. Now if they could announce the Z8 I just might be tempted to go there.

Although a spectacular lens without a doubt, the weight difference between the A1+600GM and the Z9+Z600 is considerable. Especially when you add a small grip extender to the Sony A1 instead of a battery grip, the Sony combo still features the highest portability by far and handheld shooting should be a lot easier for longer periods, given that the weight difference between these combos is about as much or even more than the weight difference between the Nikon 600FL and the Z600.

If one is content sticking with a chosen focal length, the Sony 600GM still has my preference, but that is also because I see the A1 as a truly universal body, meaning that I don't have to own multiple +5000,- bodies.

I do wonder though about ultimate IQ between the Nikon and the Sony. Nikon super telelenses tend to have brutal contrast (in a good way) and very a high sharpness level (also in a good way). The Sony, which I am currently saving up for, seems to aim at balancing bokeh with sharpness/contrast. When I switched from the Nikon 500PF to the A1+200-600G, the drop in contrast and transparency was a real deal breaker, especially in flatter light. I expect the Sony 600GM to have a much better level of contrast/micro contrast though.

The 600GM apparently also does not have very good OS, but I am not sure what the value is of very long shutter times like 1/100s with subjects that are always moving. Besides, these are F4 lenses that should not give you many issues with the iso level.

Last edited:
Steve, thanks so much for the quick posting showing this lens in action. Not happy about the price tag, but this is a lens I won't be able to resist buying. I'll put request in to NPS in the morning. Rumor says that it may be shipping by the end of November.
I'll trade in the Z 800mm for this lens.
Really Right Stuff and Kirk make replacement foot for the Z400mm f2.8 and the Z 800mm - same foot fits both lenses. I believe that foot will also fit the new 600mm.
It's fit 🥂

Great stuff @Steve !!! Can't wait to see the full review 😍
I already updated my dream configuration list just in case I suddenly find some 10 grant to change my entire gear to MILC based on Z9 😀.

Sadly the reality is that photography had to get on hold for already a couple of months now, the new contract I was expecting for earning some money is delayed to 01/2023, my computer is dying, while I am desperate to move to the Apple universe and inflation is eating up the existing money .

So should I stay calm and keep my old gear or go for a change no matter what ???

Well, on the one hand, it seems a bit decadent in these times to spend so much money for camera lens that probably would allow to help an entire family in Ucraine through the coming winter.

On the other hand life can be over really quick. Just a few days ago, we found my brother-in-law dead in his kitchen, a man being 73 years old but so dynamic, creative and agile that he was able to push even people to their limits being 20 years younger. Just a few months before he managed to fulfil his dream of getting a special little offroad car. Today we all agree that getting it and using it to the best of his liking during his last few months he had was the best he could have done.

So, under this impression I am really thinking of eliminating words like future, budget, planning, sometime, ..., from the vocabulary, go and get the things I would love get my hands on at least once in my life, use them, learn and work with them as much as I can.

A very good friend once said: "If I look back, in the vast majority of cases don't regret things I did, but regret the things I didn't do."

Sounds like an excellent excuse for getting a new toy, doesn't it ;)

Thanks Steve -- Ricci has confirmed the foot is the same as the new design foot for the Z400/2.8TC and Z800/6.3PF and that is good news for me since I worked with Zenelli to design their Carbon Fibre foot and will swap the one I have on my 800 if I go for the 600. I am keeping the Z400/2.8TC for those very early morning lion shots and closer work.

I have absolutely no doubt it is a fantastic lens (just like the F mount 600F4s are great lenses). Unfortunately, very few of us will ever be able to afford or own one. I don't want to dog pile on Nikon here but this is simply another lens that may be interesting but one I 'll most likely never own (unless some rich relative I don't know leaves me a pile of money in their will). 200-600 would be interesting, updated and enhanced Z6 or Z7 would be interesting and something to which I"d say "Nikon take my money please."

Looks like a fabulous lens. I'm very glad that it does have a TC on it because I'm so used to having it now and I know just what a difference it makes. Between the PF lenses (and that new 400mm 4.5) and the primes with the built-in TCs I think Nikon is absolutely killing it in the telephoto department.

I made the decision to go for the 400 2.8 TC and the 800 PF for what I shoot and now that this lens is out there I can thankfully say that I wouldn't change anything about that decision and I feel like I have everything very well covered.

Steve... this was an amazing preview with so many more images and real use examples than I expected. While it is well beyond my capacity to afford, I am really glad Nikon finally released this lens. However, I would love to see Nikon bust the "log-jam" that is restricting the capacity to buy their previously released telephoto optics. Like many, I am still waiting for a 400mm f4.5 and 800PF... I know some photographers who are still waiting for their 400mm f2.8S to arrive. The inability to match production with demand is an issue that haunts Nikon shooters more than Sony or Canon.

Anyway,... Nice job and congrats on an outstanding video.

regards,
bruce

Steve... this was an amazing preview with so many more images and real use examples than I expected. While it is well beyond my capacity to afford, I am really glad Nikon finally released this lens. However, I would love to see Nikon bust the "log-jam" that is restricting the capacity to buy their previously released telephoto optics. Like many, I am still waiting for a 400mm f4.5 and 800PF... I know some photographers who are still waiting for their 400mm f2.8S to arrive. The inability to match production with demand is an issue that haunts Nikon shooters more than Sony or Canon.

Anyway,... Nice job and congrats on an outstanding video.

regards,
bruce
The local store here has, or at least had last time I checked, the 400mm F4.5 in stock. It has been really tempting me, but I have the Z100-400mm and the 500mm PF with the 500mm PF being my longest lens. I’d need to trade the 500mm for the 400mm so I’d be losing focal length that I currently need (I have the 1.4x TC for Z and F) so until I can get the 200-600mm or decide to get a 800mm PF I think I need to stay where I’m at.

I think the 800mm PF is going to be backlogged for a while. The 400mm lenses will likely catch up faster.

Great video with the first look Steve! A lot of great images in such a short time. Glad to see you were able to get an early look and provide a lot of information along with first impression.

I would really love to get this lens. I own the "G" model, which is very sharp and I have been happy with it, EXCEPT for the weight (11.2 pounds). The lighter weight plus the built-in TC makes this new model soooo tempting. But I would really need to sell the "G" as part of my financial plan here, and I see that its resale value has really diminished. I suppose I could count on the reality that a pre-order from a nonentity, non-NPS person like myself will take a year or more to fill (more than a year?) I haven't even received the 800 PF yet. I have put in a "just in case" preorder, which I will have plenty of time to reconsider as I mull my finances over the coming months. I just had to cancel a trip to Brazil for next July because I am anticipating foot surgery. That in itself will save me a whole lot of money. End of boring rant.

Question for @Steve .... is this lens perfect enough to ditch Sony gear and accept the Z9 over the A1?
This is a dream lens for me as having that instant 600 to 840 switch would be killer.
The only way I could buy this would be to sell both my 400GM and 600GM (essentially ditching Sony totally so selling A1, 1-4, 2-6, TCs) and then dive all in with Z9, 600TC and maybe 400/4.5.
I'm not really considering doing that but curious if you are considering going back full Nikon now that the Z9 has had many FW updates to bring it closer to the A1 and now with this lens?

I do wonder though about ultimate IQ between the Nikon and the Sony. Nikon super telelenses tend to have brutal contrast (in a good way) and very a high sharpness level (also in a good way). The Sony, which I am currently saving up for, seems to aim at balancing bokeh with sharpness/contrast. When I switched from the Nikon 500PF to the A1+200-600G, the drop in contrast and transparency was a real deal breaker, especially in flatter light. I expect the Sony 600GM to have a much better level of contrast/micro contrast though.

The 600GM apparently also does not have very good OS, but I am not sure what the value is of very long shutter times like 1/100s with subjects that are always moving. Besides, these are F4 lenses that should not give you many issues with the iso level.

Coming from Leica APO lenses, I am delighted with the 600 GM's image quality.

I have no doubt the Nikon 600 TC is equally impressive, and the built-in TC looks very handy. If I were starting from scratch and there were a hypothetical 'z8' without the z9's bulk & mass I'd give the z8+600TC serious consideration.

I suspect the majority of the 600 TC's purchasers aside from press agencies will already be invested in Nikon equipment to some degree. I can't see myself changing systems though, for myself the 600 TC's advantage over the the a1+600 GM is primarily the TC which I use infrequently. The lack of a short-range focus limiter would be a problem for me, as well as the z9's heft & bulk.

Steve, thanks so much for the quick posting showing this lens in action. Not happy about the price tag, but this is a lens I won't be able to resist buying. I'll put request in to NPS in the morning. Rumor says that it may be shipping by the end of November.
I'll trade in the Z 800mm for this lens.
Really Right Stuff and Kirk make replacement foot for the Z400mm f2.8 and the Z 800mm - same foot fits both lenses. I believe that foot will also fit the new 600mm.
It's not s rumor, that's what Nikon told me. However - how many are shipping might be another matter. I think people who want the lens will not hesitate.

Check Sony's 600GM MTF. But I tink it would be hard to differentiate those lenses based on the picture. MTFs do not take pics after all. The inbuilt TC is seriously a handy feature. I like to shoot shorebirds and having that inbuilt TC would be seriously a great feature.
Seat-ofthe-pants sharpness seems on par with the Sony. However, like you say, that TC makes a HUGE difference.

Back