Official Nikon 600mm TC Info + My Full First Look Review

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

One photographer has opined on a different website forum that it makes more economic sense to purchase a 50-60mp body to use with a 200mm zoom and then crop the shots in lieu of forking over $15+k for the new Z 600mm :D
I don’t think when I am photographing a bird that I am going to crop. Yeah, sometimes it happens that I crop little to remove something from the photo or to adjust the water line. But it not something I have in mind when I am shooting a scene. Plus I always prefer to have the full pixels that my camera offers me

Sony has had the lead for video shooters but with the Z9 that is starting to shift. The announcement of the Nikon MC-N10 remote grip is a very big deal for shooting video.

Wishful thinking. While the Z9 has the best specs among the hybrids at this point, it isn't a contender. At all. If you own a Z9 and don't want a dedicated cine rig, it's a fine choice, but otherwise if you are predominanly interested in video you will not buy one. Sony is so so far ahead of everyone with the FX30 on bottom and Venice 2 on top, followed by Canon and then Lumix. Now Fuji has entered with a heavyweight XH2.

There is a long list of things Nikon has to do to become a choice for videographers, starting with a lens-set.

I watched Dpreview's review video. Severe catseye bokeh in the center to middle frame (worse on edges). Noticeable swirley bokeh on top of it. Pretty bad flare, and ghosting. Sharpness looked nearly identical to FL version, except the FL T stop was more than the Z or was made to appear that way (Ricci's videos are always bias).

For the price, the weight, etc. Nikon really screwed up on the 800mm 6.3 Z. They should have charged in the $10k range for it. That's the deal of a lens. Not this lens.

After watching Steve's video, I almost had the credit card out of my wallet to place a preorder with my local camera store when they open. I have the 600mm FL and the 500PF and I have the 800mm PF on order. If I were to purchase the 600 Z, I would sell the 600FL and cancel my 800 PF order (on order since April). Since I had a couple of hours to think about it before my local camera store opened, I realized that my most used lens by far is my 500mm PF and it has given me some of my best wildlife photos. The 600mm FL is better in just about every way, but one – portability. Because of that, I take the 500mm PF everywhere, can get to it quickly and have it ready and handheld in a fraction of time it takes to haul the 600mm out and attach it to a support. To me, portability makes a big difference in what I can photograph which is why I will hang onto the 500PF and give the 800PF a go for now. I might consider trading the 600mmFL for the 400mm2.8 Z some day but that's a whole other internal struggle.

Oh what great dilemmas that Nikon has provided for us long-lens users.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel my 'has anybody heard a word about these from Nikon in months?' 800 pf :D and order one of these beauties.... Suspect this 600 will ship to guys like me in 2024, yes?
Your thoughts about switching from getting the 800 to getting the new 600 resonates with me.
I am NPS and therefore was lucky enough to receive the 800 pf 5-6 months ago. It is a wonderful lens that I have had a lot of success with. Easily hand holdable. But for me, it can often be too much lens and I miss my F mount 600mm f4. So now with the new Z 600mm, I will gladly get that lens (despite the hefty price) and in exchange sell my 800pf. What makes the deal for me is that the new 600 is lighter and easier to hold than the old version, gives me back the 600mm f4 that I love for my wildlife photography, but most of all I want it because of the built in TC. Now I will have a 600mm f4 that with a simple flip of the lever goes to an 840 5.6. That, combined with the Z 100-400 on my second Z9 body is all I need for most of my wildlife photography. With no need to routinely take a TC on and off the lens.
I placed a request for the 600 with NPS this morning.

Your thoughts about switching from getting the 800 to getting the new 600 resonates with me.
I am NPS and therefore was lucky enough to receive the 800 pf 5-6 months ago. It is a wonderful lens that I have had a lot of success with. Easily hand holdable. But for me, it can often be too much lens and I miss my F mount 600mm f4. So now with the new Z 600mm, I will gladly get that lens (despite the hefty price) and in exchange sell my 800pf. What makes the deal for me is that the new 600 is lighter and easier to hold than the old version, gives me back the 600mm f4 that I love for my wildlife photography, but most of all I want it because of the built in TC. Now I will have a 600mm f4 that with a simple flip of the lever goes to an 840 5.6. That, combined with the Z 100-400 on my second Z9 body is all I need for most of my wildlife photography. With no need to routinely take a TC on and off the lens.
I placed a request for the 600 with NPS this morning.
Now I feel lucky that I have not received my 800 mm, I am going to csn el it tomorrow and order the 600 mm. I agree with you Ivan.

This is super-exciting if you don't already own the 600FL. As sharp as everything else with a built in TC. That's cool and all, but it's not an upgrade in my opinion, just another fancy f/4. I'm excited for all the people new to big f/4's, but I'm passing. I'll run my FL into the ground.

EDIT: IMO - the 800pf is still the innovator here. This 600 is incremental, regardless, I'm happy to see a competitive industry again.

Last edited:
Great video. And that 1.4 TC/840 mm shot showing the details around the eye has to be among the sharpest TC shots I’ve ever seen. Amazing to see an 840 mm TC shot that good.

Steve, I may have missed it earlier in the thread or video, but will you share where in Florida you were and your impression of the "bird/wildlife condition?"

Polish stores got the price wrong btw. Heck, even Nikon did (in the morning the price was 70999 pln and after midday it was 79999). I know pln for most of people are some mystery shells, but 70999 transfers to about 15100 euro tax included. For EU customers it might be worth to have a look at polish store and maybe grab a nice discount. For instance cyfrowe.pl (one of the biggest stores in PL) still got the wrong price (lol).

P.S. what I think has happened is that Nikon.pl made a mistake and sent the wong retail price to stores. 70999 is the retail price of 400.

For now, yes. Looking at the 840mm images from this lens though, I doubt the 800PF has anything on it. This new 600 is really outstanding. It'll come down more to weight - if I know I'm going to need 800mm (happens a lot, actually), I'll grab the 800PF. However, it won't get as much use going forward.
Forget the lens what about your composition Steve, your photos, the colours, the action, stunning photos, bravo, the Z9 also seems to have head room to deal with some good glass.
Again i am more impressed with the composition - capture of your photos, all sharp and on point very enjoyable..........

PS: for $27k AUD there is little ROI for me.

Credit given to Nikon who have built a brilliant lens at a Rolex price.

Only an opinion

I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel my 'has anybody heard a word about these from Nikon in months?' 800 pf :D and order one of these beauties.... Suspect this 600 will ship to guys like me in 2024, yes?
I received my 800pf Monday :cool: the day before this announcement. I am happy to have it and will see if delivery of the 600 TC is good next year. :unsure: For now the 500pf and 800pf will do just fine! :)

It looks like another home run by Nikon. They are really going all out on the action / wildlife front.
It's really a tough call. I can say I've never been closer to just switching back 100%, but I also enjoy having both systems. Although I like the Z9, I have a lot more fun with the a1, so that's part of it. I just really like that little camera. :)

As for the lens, I think it's on par with the 600 GM (with and without TCs). If I liked the Z9 as much as the a1, I'd seriously start thinking about selling my Sony gear. Having the TCs built-in makes a big difference - I can't tell you (would be embarrassed to say, really) how many shots I've missed while messing with TCs.

However, I still don't feel like the Z9 is there - it's certainly not there from a customization standpoint. For me, I always feel like the a1 is actively trying to help me get the shot while the Z9 feels like it takes more effort to get the same results. If that makes sense.

If I were you, I'd rent / borrow / try a Z9 again and see what you think of it before selling anything. IIRC, you had a Z9 and weren't overly thrilled with it at the time. Firmware was helped though. I'd just hate to say that you should ditch all your sony gear and switch without your having tried the Z9 with the newest firmware first.
As much as I would love a built-in TC, I wouldn’t lose the ergonomics and flexibility of the A1. That camera just fits the way I enjoy shooting while the Z9, as good as it has become (and it’s improved quite a bit), just doesn’t. And it’s not like shooting the 600GM is making a sacrifice… it just would be even nicer with a built-in TC.
‘But as others have commented, I sure would like to see Sony continue showing their commitment with more long primes.

This is the lens I wanted and the reason I jumped ship to Sony. Now that I have the a1 it is just so brilliant to use and so customizable I won't be leaving. I sure would love to have the built in TC but it isn't enough especially at that price point (17K with sales tax) that would make me switch or even add. I suspect Sony will take note and do something so I will sit and wait. The reality is it is going to likely take folks a year or more to get this lens. I have no doubt it is going to be amazing and they will have a long waiting list for it even at that price point.
Take this with a bucket of salt but I had a phone conversation early 2022 with top Sony Canada rep. He actually called me to ask my opinion on the Z9 as he knew that I had bought one even though I shot Sony. By the time we had the phone conversation I'd already sold the Z9. During that phone call he asked me what features I like on other brands that Sony doesn't have. One of things we discussed was built-in TC as this was right around the time Nikon brought out that lens. He told me Sony is well aware and researching.

My bet is when Sony does update the 400 and 600 they will have a TC built in. However, I doubt Sony will be updating them anytime soon and I do think Sony is missing a lot of other long lens options that they should probably concentrate on first before updating the 400 and 600. I see no reason for Sony to ever update the 400 and 600 if they aren't going to add a TC. You really can't get any better unless they found a way to knock off a bunch more weight.

I wonder if it would be possible to make an oridinary TC but with a flick TC. - like the inbuilt one. Acting as a macro tube when not engaged and if engaged as a TC. Of course if would have a drawback - a lower aprerture when not engaged. But with a 600 mm lens the higer aperture cost is not that great. As far as I have checked it is 4 to 4.2 with a 25 mm tube. What would be gained is a shorter MFD. The glass which extends from the TC would have to be shorter. That probably would be the main reason why iot is not possible or the price in resolution with smaller optics would be too great.

Back