Official Nikon 600mm TC Info + My Full First Look Review

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Although a spectacular lens without a doubt, the weight difference between the A1+600GM and the Z9+Z600 is considerable. Especially when you add a small grip extender to the Sony A1 instead of a battery grip, the Sony combo still features the highest portability by far and handheld shooting should be a lot easier for longer periods, given that the weight difference between these combos is about as much or even more than the weight difference between the Nikon 600FL and the Z600.

If one is content sticking with a chosen focal length, the Sony 600GM still has my preference, but that is also because I see the A1 as a truly universal body, meaning that I don't have to own multiple +5000,- bodies.

I do wonder though about ultimate IQ between the Nikon and the Sony. Nikon super telelenses tend to have brutal contrast (in a good way) and very a high sharpness level (also in a good way). The Sony, which I am currently saving up for, seems to aim at balancing bokeh with sharpness/contrast. When I switched from the Nikon 500PF to the A1+200-600G, the drop in contrast and transparency was a real deal breaker, especially in flatter light. I expect the Sony 600GM to have a much better level of contrast/micro contrast though.

The 600GM apparently also does not have very good OS, but I am not sure what the value is of very long shutter times like 1/100s with subjects that are always moving. Besides, these are F4 lenses that should not give you many issues with the iso level.
I think pure sharpness-wise, they are close. As for rendering, it's tougher. The Nikon looks good, but was also in very harsh light for most of my tests. I'd have to (and likely will) compare them side-by-side. I do find Nikon VR better than Sony OS though - and it seemed like that was the case with this lens. However, as mentioned in the video, I only had limited testing time with VR (with everything, but really limited with VR due to the bright conditions and urgency to get some shots).

Great stuff @Steve !!! Can't wait to see the full review 😍
I already updated my dream configuration list just in case I suddenly find some 10 grant to change my entire gear to MILC based on Z9 😀.

Sadly the reality is that photography had to get on hold for already a couple of months now, the new contract I was expecting for earning some money is delayed to 01/2023, my computer is dying, while I am desperate to move to the Apple universe and inflation is eating up the existing money .

So should I stay calm and keep my old gear or go for a change no matter what ???

Well, on the one hand, it seems a bit decadent in these times to spend so much money for camera lens that probably would allow to help an entire family in Ucraine through the coming winter.

On the other hand life can be over really quick. Just a few days ago, we found my brother-in-law dead in his kitchen, a man being 73 years old but so dynamic, creative and agile that he was able to push even people to their limits being 20 years younger. Just a few months before he managed to fulfil his dream of getting a special little offroad car. Today we all agree that getting it and using it to the best of his liking during his last few months he had was the best he could have done.

So, under this impression I am really thinking of eliminating words like future, budget, planning, sometime, ..., from the vocabulary, go and get the things I would love get my hands on at least once in my life, use them, learn and work with them as much as I can.

A very good friend once said: "If I look back, in the vast majority of cases don't regret things I did, but regret the things I didn't do."

Sounds like an excellent excuse for getting a new toy, doesn't it ;)
You only live once :)

That, and consider it may be some time before delivery. I have no idea how many lenses are shipping in late November, but my guess is that it'll take time to fulfill all the order out there.

Thanks Steve -- Ricci has confirmed the foot is the same as the new design foot for the Z400/2.8TC and Z800/6.3PF and that is good news for me since I worked with Zenelli to design their Carbon Fibre foot and will swap the one I have on my 800 if I go for the 600. I am keeping the Z400/2.8TC for those very early morning lion shots and closer work.
That's great news!

Great video Steve. You did a wonderful job extolling the virtues of this lens. Not sure I will buy one, weight and size are challenge for me. If (when?) Nikon makes a lighter and slower version of the 600 (like the 400 F/4.5) I will consider that lens, though it will lack the built-in TC.

I would really love to get this lens. I own the "G" model, which is very sharp and I have been happy with it, EXCEPT for the weight (11.2 pounds). The lighter weight plus the built-in TC makes this new model soooo tempting. But I would really need to sell the "G" as part of my financial plan here, and I see that its resale value has really diminished. I suppose I could count on the reality that a pre-order from a nonentity, non-NPS person like myself will take a year or more to fill (more than a year?) I haven't even received the 800 PF yet. I have put in a "just in case" preorder, which I will have plenty of time to reconsider as I mull my finances over the coming months. I just had to cancel a trip to Brazil for next July because I am anticipating foot surgery. That in itself will save me a whole lot of money. End of boring rant.
Yeah, no way to know how long it'll take to get these in stock. They'll start shipping soon, but how many is the question. I feel like this is THE lens for wildlife work and I'm even seeing shooters using other brands thinking about switching because of it. It could take some time for sure.

Question for @Steve .... is this lens perfect enough to ditch Sony gear and accept the Z9 over the A1?
This is a dream lens for me as having that instant 600 to 840 switch would be killer.
The only way I could buy this would be to sell both my 400GM and 600GM (essentially ditching Sony totally so selling A1, 1-4, 2-6, TCs) and then dive all in with Z9, 600TC and maybe 400/4.5.
I'm not really considering doing that but curious if you are considering going back full Nikon now that the Z9 has had many FW updates to bring it closer to the A1 and now with this lens?
It's really a tough call. I can say I've never been closer to just switching back 100%, but I also enjoy having both systems. Although I like the Z9, I have a lot more fun with the a1, so that's part of it. I just really like that little camera. :)

As for the lens, I think it's on par with the 600 GM (with and without TCs). If I liked the Z9 as much as the a1, I'd seriously start thinking about selling my Sony gear. Having the TCs built-in makes a big difference - I can't tell you (would be embarrassed to say, really) how many shots I've missed while messing with TCs.

However, I still don't feel like the Z9 is there - it's certainly not there from a customization standpoint. For me, I always feel like the a1 is actively trying to help me get the shot while the Z9 feels like it takes more effort to get the same results. If that makes sense.

If I were you, I'd rent / borrow / try a Z9 again and see what you think of it before selling anything. IIRC, you had a Z9 and weren't overly thrilled with it at the time. Firmware was helped though. I'd just hate to say that you should ditch all your sony gear and switch without your having tried the Z9 with the newest firmware first.

It was last mon/tues! Then it was two days driving back, a couple days working and tweaking the 4200 word script, and then post processing, and then putting it all together. I'm tired just thinking about it LOL!
Folk "forget" just how much work it takes to generate videos that they watch "without" having to pay for them.
Maybe I missed it but will you provide an update to your Z9 guide following v3.0 and provide real world guidance to those folk who are stuck on hybrid AF and the "new" challenges (which of course they classify as BUGS"?

It was last mon/tues! Then it was two days driving back, a couple days working and tweaking the 4200 word script, and then post processing, and then putting it all together. I'm tired just thinking about it LOL!
Thank you for creating the video. Great work (again). I hope Nikon thanks you by giving you one the first 600 F/4 TC to ship in the US.

Folk "forget" just how much work it takes to generate videos that they watch "without" having to pay for them.
Maybe I missed it but will you provide an update to your Z9 guide following v3.0 and provide real world guidance to those folk who are stuck on hybrid AF and the "new" challenges (which of course they classify as BUGS"?
Honestly, I would have been all over it but no time yet. But yes, for sure an update is coming for the guide. :)

For now, yes. Looking at the 840mm images from this lens though, I doubt the 800PF has anything on it. This new 600 is really outstanding. It'll come down more to weight - if I know I'm going to need 800mm (happens a lot, actually), I'll grab the 800PF. However, it won't get as much use going forward.

I’m super curious to see how this lens at 840 compares to the 800PF, including when you start adding TCs. I currently shoot a majority of my shots at 800 with my 800f5.6, but I do still shoot a fair amount with my 600f4E, so this lens seems like a really great choice. But there are a fair number of times (especially shooting whales from shore, or the Peregrine Falcons that have a nest on the edge of a cliff - situations where “get closer” is not an option) where I’m adding TCs to my 800f5.6.

So I’d love to see how well this lens stacks up to the 800PF with TCs. If it stacks up well, then it might end up being a blessing in disguise that I got totally screwed by NikonUSA on the 800PF (placed my order within hours of orders opening, then right about the time my order would likely have shipped, my credit card was compromised so had to get a new one. NikonUSA can’t just change credit cards, they require you to cancel the order. So not only did I lose my “spot in line” but by then they had closed ordering for the 800PF so couldn’t even get back in line)

Thank you, Steve! For me this video is a lot like watching a video on a Ferrari . It's interesting and fun, but I know I'll never own one due to the expense. Just as I am Quite happy living with my V6 Mustang, I am also quite happy with my 500mm PF. I appreciate the work you put into this video, Steve. Thanks for making sure you produce the highest quality practical information. Fun for me to watch, and vital to those who will be purchasing this lens. :)

It's really a tough call. I can say I've never been closer to just switching back 100%, but I also enjoy having both systems. Although I like the Z9, I have a lot more fun with the a1, so that's part of it. I just really like that little camera. :)

As for the lens, I think it's on par with the 600 GM (with and without TCs). If I liked the Z9 as much as the a1, I'd seriously start thinking about selling my Sony gear. Having the TCs built-in makes a big difference - I can't tell you (would be embarrassed to say, really) how many shots I've missed while messing with TCs.

However, I still don't feel like the Z9 is there - it's certainly not there from a customization standpoint. For me, I always feel like the a1 is actively trying to help me get the shot while the Z9 feels like it takes more effort to get the same results. If that makes sense.

If I were you, I'd rent / borrow / try a Z9 again and see what you think of it before selling anything. IIRC, you had a Z9 and weren't overly thrilled with it at the time. Firmware was helped though. I'd just hate to say that you should ditch all your sony gear and switch without your having tried the Z9 with the newest firmware first.
This is the lens I wanted and the reason I jumped ship to Sony. Now that I have the a1 it is just so brilliant to use and so customizable I won't be leaving. I sure would love to have the built in TC but it isn't enough especially at that price point (17K with sales tax) that would make me switch or even add. I suspect Sony will take note and do something so I will sit and wait. The reality is it is going to likely take folks a year or more to get this lens. I have no doubt it is going to be amazing and they will have a long waiting list for it even at that price point.

This is the lens I wanted and the reason I jumped ship to Sony. Now that I have the a1 it is just so brilliant to use and so customizable I won't be leaving. I sure would love to have the built in TC but it isn't enough especially at that price point (17K with sales tax) that would make me switch or even add. I suspect Sony will take note and do something so I will sit and wait. The reality is it is going to likely take folks a year or more to get this lens. I have no doubt it is going to be amazing and they will have a long waiting list for it even at that price point.
Rose and I were just talking about that - I think Sony is pretty much going to have to get a 400 / 600 with TC out sooner rather than later. The bodies are great, but people look at the entire system. I'll no doubt shoot more Nikon now that this 600 is out - even though I like my a1 bodies better. It's the complete system that matters, and I'm sure Sony knows it. And if anyone from Sony is reading this, I'm happy to test-drive your pre-production primes too :)

Rose and I were just talking about that - I think Sony is pretty much going to have to get a 400 / 600 with TC out sooner rather than later. The bodies are great, but people look at the entire system. I'll no doubt shoot more Nikon now that this 600 is out - even though I like my a1 bodies better. It's the complete system that matters, and I'm sure Sony knows it. And if anyone from Sony is reading this, I'm happy to test-drive your pre-production primes too :)
As for long lens shooting, Sony has more to do besides refreshing the 400/600GM lenses. They have not shown any activity over 200mm focal length, and are starting to trail Nikon badly, that now not only has superb 400/600Z lenses, but also superb 400/4, 500/5.6 and 800/6.3 lenses. I have made peace with having to go for the 600/4GM, simply because the A1 is such a marvel and the Z9 is not my kind of camera, but I would have preferred e.g. a 500mm f4.5 kind of lens with some special optics to reduce size and weight, or e.g. a high quality 600mm f5.6 prime lens, purely for portability reasons.

I wonder if Sony has ány plans at all above 200mm... :unsure:

As for long lens shooting, Sony has more to do besides refreshing the 400/600GM lenses. They have not shown any activity over 200mm focal length, and are starting to trail Nikon badly, that now not only has superb 400/600Z lenses, but also superb 400/4, 500/5.6 and 800/6.3 lenses. I have made peace with having to go for the 600/4GM, simply because the A1 is such a marvel and the Z9 is not my kind of camera, but I would have preferred a 500mm f4.5 kind of lens with some special optics to reduce size and weight.

That's an excellent point. I've mentioned in the past that Sony is sorely lacking things like a 300 F4, 300 2.8, 500 F/4, 200-400 F/4, as well as lighter optics like a 500 PF or something like Nikon's 400 4.5. Nikon is really just destroying everybody in the long lens arena. Part of me wonders if Sony is only making a token effort in that department - basically just giving what they feel are the essential lenses. Time will tell.

As for long lens shooting, Sony has more to do besides refreshing the 400/600GM lenses. They have not shown any activity over 200mm focal length, and are starting to trail Nikon badly, that now not only has superb 400/600Z lenses, but also superb 400/4, 500/5.6 and 800/6.3 lenses. I have made peace with having to go for the 600/4GM, simply because the A1 is such a marvel and the Z9 is not my kind of camera, but I would have preferred e.g. a 500mm f4.5 kind of lens with some special optics to reduce size and weight, or e.g. a high quality600mm f5.6 prime lens, purely for portability reasons.

Completely agree. ❤️ the a1, would like more lens choices over 200mm especially portable GM.

Last edited:
That's an excellent point. I've mentioned in the past that Sony is sorely lacking things like a 300 F4, 300 2.8, 500 F/4, 200-400 F/4, as well as lighter optics like a 500 PF or something like Nikon's 400 4.5. Nikon is really just destroying everybody in the long lens arena. Part of me wonders if Sony is only making a token effort in that department - basically just giving what they feel are the essential lenses. Time will tell.

I agree.. when I moved from Nikon to Sony I had to give up the 500PF which I really enjoyed. I wished then (and do still do) that I could have my A1 body and Nikon lenses. The 800PF, 4004.5 would be a great lower weight and the new 600/wTC is a dream come true (having the 600GM with TC myself). Oh well, can't have everything and it isn't like the A1/600GM isn't going to get me the shots :)

Really happy for the Nikon shooters though, so many great lens options (and it can only drive competition between the brands).

Steve, thanks so much for the quick posting showing this lens in action. Not happy about the price tag, but this is a lens I won't be able to resist buying. I'll put request in to NPS in the morning. Rumor says that it may be shipping by the end of November.
I'll trade in the Z 800mm for this lens.
Really Right Stuff and Kirk make replacement foot for the Z400mm f2.8 and the Z 800mm - same foot fits both lenses. I believe that foot will also fit the new 600mm.
So does Hejnar the place Steve recommended for the 500pf and I have used theres for everything since then.

Great stuff @Steve !!! Can't wait to see the full review 😍
I already updated my dream configuration list just in case I suddenly find some 10 grant to change my entire gear to MILC based on Z9 😀.

Sadly the reality is that photography had to get on hold for already a couple of months now, the new contract I was expecting for earning some money is delayed to 01/2023, my computer is dying, while I am desperate to move to the Apple universe and inflation is eating up the existing money .

So should I stay calm and keep my old gear or go for a change no matter what ???

Well, on the one hand, it seems a bit decadent in these times to spend so much money for camera lens that probably would allow to help an entire family in Ucraine through the coming winter.

On the other hand life can be over really quick. Just a few days ago, we found my brother-in-law dead in his kitchen, a man being 73 years old but so dynamic, creative and agile that he was able to push even people to their limits being 20 years younger. Just a few months before he managed to fulfil his dream of getting a special little offroad car. Today we all agree that getting it and using it to the best of his liking during his last few months he had was the best he could have done.

So, under this impression I am really thinking of eliminating words like future, budget, planning, sometime, ..., from the vocabulary, go and get the things I would love get my hands on at least once in my life, use them, learn and work with them as much as I can.

A very good friend once said: "If I look back, in the vast majority of cases don't regret things I did, but regret the things I didn't do."

Sounds like an excellent excuse for getting a new toy, doesn't it ;)
Life is too short! Live the moment present and do what it bring the most joy to you.

If it was a 500mm f/4 with a built-in 1.4x TC I would buy it in a heart beat. At the $17,000 cost for me to buy the Z 600mm f/4 lens I would get more utility putting that amount to buy the 400mm f/2.8 lens and have the more useful (with my shooting) 400mm f/2.8 or 560mm f/4 or 800mm f/5.6 options. I found with my previous 600mm f/4 lenses that 600mm often provided two narrow a view angle and resulted in over-cropped images of animals and cutting out their natural environment. This is OK for ID shots for a guide book but not for great pictures.

Sony has had the lead for video shooters but with the Z9 that is starting to shift. The announcement of the Nikon MC-N10 remote grip is a very big deal for shooting video.

I'm sticking with my 400 4.5 and keeping the 800 PF pre-order in (hopefully Canada starts to get more stock because it's been pretty non-existent so far). I'm not a pro = can't justify the cost of the 600. :)

Good job, Nikon - add the 200-600 and there's no other brand that matches the tele lens line up. Pretty impressive, considering Z mount is just 4 years old.

In fact I was expecting more In Canadian, since the 400mm is 18 200 ca and in us is almost 14000. The 600mm is almost 15 500 Us. I think the deal is better in Canadian for this lens. I am going to cancel my 400 mm f2.8 and my 800mm f6.3 and get only this téléobjectif
One photographer has opined on a different website forum that it makes more economic sense to purchase a 50-60mp body to use with a 200mm zoom and then crop the shots in lieu of forking over $15+k for the new Z 600mm :D

Back