Official Nikon 600mm TC Info + My Full First Look Review

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I picked up my copy of the 600TC yesterday. I also have the 800PF. Interestingly, I prefer the 600TC on the Z9. The overall balance is just right. With the 800PF on the Z9, the lens is so light that I lose stability while hand holding. The 800PF actually feels better on a Z6ii. I did not expect this. Initial impressions comparing the lenses: While the 800PF is an amazing lens, I prefer the 600TC for its focal length flexibility, smooth bokeh, faster focusing speed, the incredibly useful Fn Ring, and the image quality. It's light enough to hand-hold for quite a while (the 800PF is a whole lot lighter however). For a walk-around birding lens the 800PF is unbeatable. Having said all of the above, I'm going to sell the 800PF. The 600TC is that good.

I'd be interested in how it handles relative to the 600mm FL since it is a bit lighter and with a shorter hood. While I think the 600mm FL is superb, I most frequently grab the 500 PF instead because I can get into position much more quickly. I also find the 600mm just too unwieldy for international travel, so it gets left at home. I have the 800mm on order since April, but am hoping it is a good compromise with long reach, image quality, and nimbleness. But I often get tempted to put in my order for the 600 Z.

Indeed! Have to try them out first, and compare sharpness; the lightness of the 800 is incredible and its such a wonderful lens. Its a dillema.
Having shot with the 800 PF since the start of september I can really understand your dillema. I love the the handling and the light weight of this lens. The new 600 TC is out of my budget right now, but if I were to buy it now I don’t think I could part ways with the 800 PF 😊

Last edited:
I saw on FM forum that the first few guys picked up their 600s yesterday and a few more have notifications from NPS that theirs are on the way.

Anyone got theirs yet? Steve?
I am still waiting! I have not get any notice yet, I am a NPS and I ordered it the next day of the announcement!

I'd be interested in how it handles relative to the 600mm FL since it is a bit lighter and with a shorter hood. While I think the 600mm FL is superb, I most frequently grab the 500 PF instead because I can get into position much more quickly. I also find the 600mm just too unwieldy for international travel, so it gets left at home. I have the 800mm on order since April, but am hoping it is a good compromise with long reach, image quality, and nimbleness. But I often get tempted to put in my order for the 600 Z.
I find the 600 TC significantly easier to maneuver than the 600 FL. I believe it's about 1.5 pounds lighter and the center of gravity sits back more towards the camera. As a result, it feels as if it has shed more weight that 1.5 pounds. It's really quite hand-holdable.

I saw on FM forum that the first few guys picked up their 600s yesterday and a few more have notifications from NPS that theirs are on the way.

Anyone got theirs yet? Steve?
In my hands now. We're taking it out tomorrow morning :)

BTW - The Hejnar foot for the 800PF fits it perfectly. Tell Chris I sent ya :) (I don't get a commission, I just like to let him know that I appreciate and recommend his stuff)

Last edited:
I'm NPS and ordered around 2-3 hours after the announcement and haven't heard anything from them. Seems like guys who ordered after me received notification already, hard to understand how this works :)

Having shot with the 800 PF since the start of september I can really understand your dillema. I love the the handling and the light weight of this lens. The new 600 TC is out of my budget right now, but if I were to buy it now I don’t think I could part ways with the 800 PF 😊
Few years back, the new Canon EF 600 f/4 III was my birding lens. Big news at the time about how they cut almost 2lbs, moved the elements/weight rearwards, and made the lens hand-holdable. Thought it was so light and nimble... Well, then along came the 500PF, making the 6.9lb 600III suddenly look and feel like a boat anchor. No way I'm ever going back to a chunky f/4 setup again, at least not until I'm relegated to using a tripod. The built-in TC makes it very enticing though.

Perhaps when they release a grip-less Z9, the total weight may fall to a manageable level that makes a 600 f/4 a more hand-holdable proposition.

Back