Official Nikon 600mm TC Info + My Full First Look Review

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I wonder if it would be possible to make an oridinary TC but with a flick TC. - like the inbuilt one. Acting as a macro tube when not engaged and if engaged as a TC. Of course if would have a drawback - a lower aprerture when not engaged. But with a 600 mm lens the higer aperture cost is not that great. As far as I have checked it is 4 to 4.2 with a 25 mm tube. What would be gained is a shorter MFD. The glass which extends from the TC would have to be shorter. That probably would be the main reason why iot is not possible or the price in resolution with smaller optics would be too great.
WOW, that would be great !!! The 400 f/4.5 with a TC like you describe , a Dream "lightweight" Kit !!!

I wonder if it would be possible to make an oridinary TC but with a flick TC. - like the inbuilt one. Acting as a macro tube when not engaged and if engaged as a TC. Of course if would have a drawback - a lower aprerture when not engaged. But with a 600 mm lens the higer aperture cost is not that great. As far as I have checked it is 4 to 4.2 with a 25 mm tube. What would be gained is a shorter MFD. The glass which extends from the TC would have to be shorter. That probably would be the main reason why iot is not possible or the price in resolution with smaller optics would be too great.
One drawback is that internal-focus lenses (most AF lenses) are computed for a specific flange-to-sensor distance and optical performance suffers when an extension tube is added.

However, I doubt Sony will be updating them anytime soon and I do think Sony is missing a lot of other long lens options that they should probably concentrate on first before updating the 400 and 600. I see no reason for Sony to ever update the 400 and 600 if they aren't going to add a TC. You really can't get any better unless they found a way to knock off a bunch more weight.

+1. I'd rather them to bring out lenses similar to the 400 f4.5 and 800PF before they update the 600GM. Theoretically if they announced a 600GM with the TC had have to think hard about "upgrading" it. I'd imagine that would diminish the resale value of the current one and you'd be spending thousands just for the built in TC.

The problem is, any kind of tube like that will keep you from focusing out to infinity. The longer the tube, the closer max focus distance gets. I just don't see any manufacturer doing that - they'd be swamped with complaints.

The problem is, any kind of tube like that will keep you from focusing out to infinity. The longer the tube, the closer max focus distance gets. I just don't see any manufacturer doing that - they'd be swamped with complaints.
Yeah, that is true, I am aware of that. But trading not being able to focus to infinity would be not a big downside getting that extra MFD and vertisality :) And I also agree that some uninformed people would complain. Nothing comes free ;) Either buy 600 tc or be quick at swapping tc or have a hypothetical semi marco extension tube. I am not good for sure at first two things and third is a myth.

Btw it would be even better for adapting old DSLR lenses on mirrorless. As you have to use that extension tube either way :)

Lenses can and have been designed to focus past infinity, and this could be done to compensate for the tube's extension. The bigger problem is loss of optical quality when an extension tube is used.

Yeah! I was able to cancel my orders on the z400 mm 2.8 and The Z 800 mm and put my order on my favorite focal lens the Z 600 mm. My dealer assured me that I am the first one to ordered in Quebec province and I will be the first one to receive it here when they delivers. So happy one long lens that does it all for me For wildlife.
Thanks Steve for your video, it helped me so much to take my decision.

Lenses can and have been designed to focus past infinity, and this could be done to compensate for the tube's extension. The bigger problem is loss of optical quality when an extension tube is used.
Agree - but we're talking potently quite a bit past infinity in this scenario. Unless the lens was designed with this type of TC in mind, I think it would prove problematic.

Agree - but we're talking potently quite a bit past infinity in this scenario. Unless the lens was designed with this type of TC in mind, I think it would prove problematic.

Only way I could even imagine it all working is if you sent the lens into Sony and they modified it to support bolting on a switchable TC to the lens. I would imagine it would cost an arm-and-a-leg however and I'm not sure how many people would want there very pricy 600GM to go in for surgery.

Only way I could even imagine it all working is if you sent the lens into Sony and they modified it to support bolting on a switchable TC to the lens. I would imagine it would cost an arm-and-a-leg however and I'm not sure how many people would want there very pricy 600GM to go in for surgery.
The optical diagram of the Sony 600 GM shows numerous elements in the space we imagine a built-in TC would occupy. This would be very major surgery.

Take this with a bucket of salt but I had a phone conversation early 2022 with top Sony Canada rep. He actually called me to ask my opinion on the Z9 as he knew that I had bought one even though I shot Sony. By the time we had the phone conversation I'd already sold the Z9. During that phone call he asked me what features I like on other brands that Sony doesn't have. One of things we discussed was built-in TC as this was right around the time Nikon brought out that lens. He told me Sony is well aware and researching.

My bet is when Sony does update the 400 and 600 they will have a TC built in. However, I doubt Sony will be updating them anytime soon and I do think Sony is missing a lot of other long lens options that they should probably concentrate on first before updating the 400 and 600. I see no reason for Sony to ever update the 400 and 600 if they aren't going to add a TC. You really can't get any better unless they found a way to knock off a bunch more weight.
Interesting to hear about your call with the Sony rep.

It strikes me as odd that whilst Nikon has dramatically picked up its pace with lenses, Sony and Canon have slowed down to virtually a halt when it comes to lenses longer than 200mm. It's as if Nikon has met Sony and Canon while advancing, and shot past them as they were pulling back to a standstill. It intrigues me.

Nikon sprinting, and Sony not even moving any longer. What does it mean? Does it mean that Nikon has ambitions and Sony feels they have done it all, seen it all, and concentrate on AI development and the continuing ascent of smartphones? The A7RV release was a really peculiar release. I do hope that the 600GM is still for sale next spring... ;)

Interesting to hear about your call with the Sony rep.

It strikes me as odd that whilst Nikon has dramatically picked up its pace with lenses, Sony and Canon have slowed down to virtually a halt when it comes to lenses longer than 200mm. It's as if Nikon has met Sony and Canon while advancing, and shot past them as they were pulling back to a standstill. It intrigues me.

Nikon sprinting, and Sony not even moving any longer. What does it mean? Does it mean that Nikon has ambitions and Sony feels they have done it all, seen it all, and concentrate on AI development and the continuing ascent of smartphones? The A7RV release was a really peculiar release. I do hope that the 600GM is still for sale next spring... ;)
Sony is making incredible progress, introducing three major products. Video products. FX30, PTZ and Venice 2.

I actually got the email with Steve's review of this lens before I got the email from Nikon announcing it, lol.

Gotta say, this looks pretty amazing. After the week I spent photographing tiny, elusive, high-treetop Hawaiian birds, I would have absolutely loved the built in TC on a lens like this.

The price is a prohibitive factor, for sure, though. I guess I'll have to see what the shape of the world is when bonus time rolls around next year, ha. Though, I think I'd like to rent one before I buy. Just to see if the weight is something I, a rather small and slender person, am willing to carry around vs just using my 500PF and ordering an 800PF for longer lengths.

But damn, this is awful tempting. What an amazing looking lens! I'm going to have to put some serious thought into it, for sure.

For now, yes. Looking at the 840mm images from this lens though, I doubt the 800PF has anything on it. This new 600 is really outstanding. It'll come down more to weight - if I know I'm going to need 800mm (happens a lot, actually), I'll grab the 800PF. However, it won't get as much use going forward.
Steve, one thing that also really excites me about this lens but has hardly been mentioned in this post - you can use controls on the lens, including the Fn Ring, to Save Focus Position and then Recall Focus Position, without ever having to use controls on the camera. You can use the Memory Set button to Save Focus. And then I believe you can set the Fn Ring separately for each direction - I believe you can set both directions to Recall Focus. Or you can set one direction to Set Focus and the other to Recall Focus. How useful do you think this will be?

Great initial review @Steve

I'm just about to receive my long awaited Z400TC and keen to hear about the AF speed differences between this new Z600TC and the Z400TC,
granted this has the newer/updated VCM driven AF.
I'm wondering if you have managed to have a play with the Z400TC and if so, did you find the Z600 noticeably faster or just a tad quicker?

It's really a tough call. I can say I've never been closer to just switching back 100%, but I also enjoy having both systems. Although I like the Z9, I have a lot more fun with the a1, so that's part of it. I just really like that little camera. :)

As for the lens, I think it's on par with the 600 GM (with and without TCs). If I liked the Z9 as much as the a1, I'd seriously start thinking about selling my Sony gear. Having the TCs built-in makes a big difference - I can't tell you (would be embarrassed to say, really) how many shots I've missed while messing with TCs.

However, I still don't feel like the Z9 is there - it's certainly not there from a customization standpoint. For me, I always feel like the a1 is actively trying to help me get the shot while the Z9 feels like it takes more effort to get the same results. If that makes sense.

If I were you, I'd rent / borrow / try a Z9 again and see what you think of it before selling anything. IIRC, you had a Z9 and weren't overly thrilled with it at the time. Firmware was helped though. I'd just hate to say that you should ditch all your sony gear and switch without your having tried the Z9 with the newest firmware first.
Steve . I think the biggest issue with Z9 plus 600 mm would be the weight factor( apart from customisation)
Having shot A1 with 600 mm hand held I doubt Z9 with 600 mm would be that comfortable weight wise
I would be very happy with a 600 PF with Z9 for my needs
Any day I would put my $ on A1 + 600 mm since all my best BIF shots with A1 + 600 mm were hand held

Steve, one thing that also really excites me about this lens but has hardly been mentioned in this post - you can use controls on the lens, including the Fn Ring, to Save Focus Position and then Recall Focus Position, without ever having to use controls on the camera. You can use the Memory Set button to Save Focus. And then I believe you can set the Fn Ring separately for each direction - I believe you can set both directions to Recall Focus. Or you can set one direction to Set Focus and the other to Recall Focus. How useful do you think this will be?
I'm already a fan of the control ring for ISO / Exposure comp, so I think the controls will prove useful. And yes, the function ring can recall focus distance as well. Tons of options, you just have to decide which ones work best for you. I'm going to look into some setup ideas as I dig into the 3.0 firmware :)

Great initial review @Steve

I'm just about to receive my long awaited Z400TC and keen to hear about the AF speed differences between this new Z600TC and the Z400TC,
granted this has the newer/updated VCM driven AF.
I'm wondering if you have managed to have a play with the Z400TC and if so, did you find the Z600 noticeably faster or just a tad quicker?
I don't have both, but if I get a chance I'll test. I can't imagine there's a "human perceptible" difference though.

Steve . I think the biggest issue with Z9 plus 600 mm would be the weight factor( apart from customisation)
Having shot A1 with 600 mm hand held I doubt Z9 with 600 mm would be that comfortable weight wise
I would be very happy with a 600 PF with Z9 for my needs
Any day I would put my $ on A1 + 600 mm since all my best BIF shots with A1 + 600 mm were hand held
There's no doubt the Nikon setup is heavier. No amount of better balancing can change it. If I were hand-holding for long durations, I too would favor the Sony.

There's no doubt the Nikon setup is heavier. No amount of better balancing can change it. If I were hand-holding for long durations, I too would favor the Sony.When you add the grip and tc to the a
Yeah, but when you add the grip and tc to the a1, the weight difference is less than a pound if my calculations are correct. Of course you can shoot at 600mm and without the grip on the Sony. I have always shot with the grip installed on every camera I have ever owned and only take them out on overseas vacations. I don’t know if I can shoot with a tiny camera anymore 😊

Yeah, but when you add the grip and tc to the a1, the weight difference is less than a pound if my calculations are correct. Of course you can shoot at 600mm and without the grip on the Sony. I have always shot with the grip installed on every camera I have ever owned and only take them out on overseas vacations. I don’t know if I can shoot with a tiny camera anymore 😊
True, it's only about a 0.7 pound difference. However, it's still noticeable - especially if you're holding for an extended period. When you're waiting for a bird to fly and hand-holding, every ounce counts IMO :)

Looks great Steve, I'm planning on ordering it tomorrow - looks amazing, and will be paying for it for a while, just curious how it would compare to the 800 in terms of sharpness; you get the 800 and 600 in one in this though, so do you plan to continue to own both?
Wait till your wife finds out about it and you'll be paying even longer 😉

Back