Official Nikon Z8 Launch And Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you are new to Cf Express Type B cards, you may need to buy a new card reader too that will allow you to download the images from the card to your computer. When you look at card reader make sure you understand the speed at which the images can be downloaded. The speed to note is "Read from". Some MAY accept XQD cards too. (in the same slot for the CF Express Type B card.)

Thanks. Why not design the Z8 with 2 CFE-B slots if the SD slot slows things down? Maybe I'm misinterpreting this.
i think part of the reason is to provide more options and a lower cost option. the z8, d850 are targeted to the prosumer and they are intended to fill a wide variety of uses.

i also think the number of photographers who really need to run in backup mode is pretty small

To ensure the full read speed of the card can be accessed, card readers using USB 3.2 2x2 20Gb/s protocol are recommended. Of course the write speed of the recipient disk must be up to snuff.

Last edited:
CFExpress is a more future proof storage standard, notably for recording high resolution video in high spec cameras. 1Tb or 2Tb CFExpress B cards are no longer unusual, notwithstanding their prices. The costs of cards from the best brands include better quality for write speeds and more efficient heat management.

CFExpress B took over from XQD a few years earlier, after Nikon had begun to strategize on this storage format over 15 years ago at least (R&D predating the D4). Their engineers have designed the Z9 and Z8 to use CFExpress B cards as the end stage in high speed data flow.

These cards very rarely fail and have a longer life than SD and other formats. Unit costs of data storage have also improved and are already much lower for CFExp B vs the already obsolescent XQD.

The lingering use of SD in the Z8 is an important factor why the Z9 better fits into my camera system. The only use I see for SD today in such a high end camera is emergency data overflow/ needing more storage on a trip etc. It's false economy otherwise to use SD IMHO in these Z MILCs.

It's unfortunate Nikon is not offering a service upgrade to replace the SD with an extra CFExpress read slot in the Z8.

Some context

CFE-B cards are new to me. Will they fit into the SD slot? Are you forced to use an SD card in the SD slot?

Soon or later I will be replacing my D500 and Z7 by the Z8 (more sooner than later...).
I have all books and videos from Steve except the Z9 and Sony ones.
The Z8 migration will imply the purchase of the Z9 book. My wallet won't explode because of the Z8 boby but it will because of Steve's book :-D At least it's what I will tell to my wife

Steve it appears that Nikon wasn't entirely correct. " When I talked to Nikon the other day, they indicated it had the same buffer" I'm assuming they are talking performance.

Matt Granger said " SPOILER ALERT... the Z8 is NOT as fast as the Z9... The buffer isn't as good and SD cards are not fast enough for a high resolution + high speed camera 🤦‍♂️
Check out his video supporting his conclusion.

Matt Granger - Nikon Z8 vs Z9 - Buffer, Speed and Action testing

Z9 x 2, 500PF, 300PF, Z 100-400, Z 105, Z 85 1.8, Z 24-120, Z 24-200, Z 24-70 f4, Z 14-30.
Michael Rogers
www.imagesbymichaelrogers.com

Steve it appears that Nikon wasn't entirely correct. " When I talked to Nikon the other day, they indicated it had the same buffer" I'm assuming they are talking performance.

Matt Granger said " SPOILER ALERT... the Z8 is NOT as fast as the Z9... The buffer isn't as good and SD cards are not fast enough for a high resolution + high speed camera 🤦‍♂️

Z9 x 2, 500PF, 300PF, Z 100-400, Z 105, Z 85 1.8, Z 24-120, Z 24-200, Z 24-70 f4, Z 14-30.
Michael Rogers
This is only true if you have an SD card set for simultaneous writes to both.

The buffer itself doesn't appear to be changed when using single slot only (or overflow to the SD card).

Another reason I'm happy to keep my 9. :) no slow SD card problems.

Will we see an increase in used Z9s for sale after the Z8 becomes widely available?
Yep…not mine probably…at least at first…unless the resale will get me a second Z8 since I want two bodies that work mostly the same and really didn’t want the grip anyway…and once I get 5he Z8 if I prefer it and I can trade the Z9 and 1000 for a second Z8 that’s chicken feed at my age.

Currently I have a Z9 that I use for personal wildlife photography and a Z7 & Z7II that I use for freelance work (mostly commercial, photojournalism and museum work).

A friend with a Z9 has struggled with the weight of the camera from day one and has offered to sell me his pristine Z9 for what he can get for it in trade.

So my plan was to buy one Z8 and my friends Z9 and sell my Z7 and Z7II (leaving me with two Z9s and a Z8).

After today's announcement I pre-ordered two Z8s with grips and I think I'm going to pass on buying my friends Z9 (I'll sell the Z7 and Z7II leaving me with two Z8s and a Z9).

Convince me I'm wrong and I should buy my friend's Z9 instead of a second Z8. :)
If you plan on using the grip most of the time…the Z9 is smaller than the Z8 and grip. Of ypu re going to use the, gripless most of the time…I would go with Z8s unless long bursts at 20FPS and write to both cards are important to your needs. I didn’t want the grip in the first place with the Z9 but accept it as part of the price to play…and am planning on using both but if the Z9 ends up getting a lot less use due to weight then I could see swapping it for a second Z8 for my needs and wants.

which is consistent with the CIPA numbers (720 vs. 340 = 2.12)
But we all know that CIPA numbers are essentially bovine end product…BEP for short and feel free to steal the expression as I stole it…and have little to do with actual results. Whiskeyman and I were at Venice Rookery the other evening and I came home with 750 frames and I was one battery bar less than full according to the Z9.

Michael Rogers
Granger issued an update …. The z8 is almost as fast as the z9
IMG_1389.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Yeah seen that video as well which made me left wondering.

Is the Z8 buffer with lossless RAW to 1 CF card the same as on the Z9??
Ricci says it is…and Nikon says it’s the same processor and sensor…and while they didn’t say it’s the same buffer that may be on the chip with the processor but they probably didn’t design a new buffer chip if not…so my guess is that it is the same. I thought Steve held the button down during his video the other day…but maybe it was somebody else’s video…and it wasn’t a quantitative test which wren video it was said it was essentially the same throughput and buffer depth as the Z9.

Last edited:

Michael Rogers
In my tests, I get the same buffer results (or within a few frames). And he did issue a correction. He doesn't have a great history when it comes to testing - this isn't his first correction.

Back