Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What a launch. How exciting! The images from the 100-400mm look fantastic and the price point is a relatively good value compared to the 180-400mm. I just hope the 400mm 2.8 with the built-in 1.4x teleconverter is available and in my hands before I go to Botswana. 20 fps, 30 fps high res jpegs, 120 jpgs fps for the Z9 and folks complaining that it is "only 20 fps in RAW,"—Really? I have enough trouble editing / deleting files created at 8 fps or 11 fps. At 20 RAW fps my hard drive is going to be choking enough with almost twice the number of frames produced when I shoot with my D5. It remains to be seen how good the Z9 will perform with bird-in-flight auto-focus but for someone who was thinking about changing systems, these announcements are like the proverbial "Prodigal Son" returning home. I told my camera dealer, "Kill the fatted calf" aka, my wallet. :)

If you have a local shop that carries Nikon then it may be your best bet. The big shops might carry more inventory but they also attract folks from all over the country and the waiting times can be long for a new and hot item.

I'll add that I've had good luck in the past searching out smaller brick and mortar stores and calling them to get on shorter lists for hard to find gear. We unfortunately no longer have a Nikon dealer in town so I either find a small Nikon dealer further away or get on the list with a big retailer like Adorama and just wait it out.
Thanks.

Th '40 shot' buffer is if you use the XQD cards. The buffer will effectively be limitless if you use the newer CFX type B cards (up to a 1,000 shots in RAW according to Nikon's site).

To underscore that, note the minimum write speeds on Prograde's Gold vs Cobalt cards. So depending on the card you pick you could get 100MB/s or 1300MB/s sustained write.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 142740.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Source: https://progradedigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/ProGrade_DS_CFexpress_Final_E.pdf

Th '40 shot' buffer is if you use the XQD cards. The buffer will effectively be limitless if you use the newer CFX type B cards (up to a 1,000 shots in RAW according to Nikon's site).
Thanks for clearing this up, it was a bit of a "talking point" in YouTube comments during Nikon's presentation this morning. One guy was basically saying it only has a "2-3 second buffer". 😑😆

With the current Z cameras, F mount glass focuses at about half the speed (on average) as it does with an F-mount camera like the D850 - at least when going from min to mx focus distance.

More significantly though, in my experience the Z mount native glass is a noticeable step up in IQ. It's just outstanding.

Hopefully its better on the Z9; chasing a flying owl with the 800 5.6 Id want all the speed I could get. If they do have an 800 down the road would be curious how it would differ as the sharpness on the current one is great.

Tidbits from Matt Granger's video, "Worth the wait - The Nikon Z9 is EPIC!":

At 12:00 he does an FTZ(ii) vs native test with his 200 f2 on his D6 vs the Z9 & FTZII. It's not high speed action, but it is super shallow DOF. So AF isn't moving large distances, but it appears the adapted Z9 control this lens better the D6 can natively. A good sign in a number of departments.

At 15:14 he does a write test. It appears he's using a Prograde Cobalt 650GB (he only says the "best performing" Prograde, but that's the Cobalt 650GB afaik) vs a Sony Tough 256GB. The specs say the Cobalt has a min write of 1300MB/s, the min write speed of the Sony is not disclosed by Sony. The lower end Prograde Gold 256GB has a min rated at 300MB/s.

His test got 1860 images on the Prograde, 550 images on the Tough card which is 3.38x faster. That clocks the Tough card at about 385MB/s assuming the Cobalt is near what it's rated at I think.

Unfortunately he did those tests in the lossy raw instead of lossless raw, but it's pretty clear that media matters and that the cards vary in performance... a lot.

I suppose we could work our way backwards if we had some estimates on file sizes.

But 1300MB/s is 21.67 60MB chunks per second
And 385MB/s is 6.42 60MB chunks per second

Also, something we already knew, but keep in mind performance can vary by card size, not just "model". The lower size Progrades have lower specs than the larger ones.

Other random thoughts:

cfe-a has a max theoretical xfer of 1000MB/s
cfe-b has a max theoretical xfer of 2000MB/s

I checked a few cards, and it appears it's pretty common for no minimum write speed to be published on cfe-b cards.

Spot checking, it looks like the Sony XQD cards have a MAXIMUM write speed of 400MB/s. No numbers on minimum.

Last edited:
I'm super excited about this Z9! I have been using a D5 with my 500mm PF 5.6. Does anyone have any experience shooting that lens with the D850? I'm wondering if 45 megapixels would be too much for the 500mm pf 5.6. I have incredible images with the more forgiving 20 megapixel D5.

I use my D850 with the 500 PF and the shots look great.

The '40 shot' buffer is if you use the XQD cards. The buffer will effectively be limitless if you use the newer CFX type B cards (up to a 1,000 shots in RAW according to Nikon's site).
Read carefully. The specs on the "up to 1000 shot in RAW" stated on the Nikon site doesn't specify which RAW format. Oversight or deceptively vague?

One thing for sure is that if the Z9 performs as well as it appears in the various videos etc that are available to date it's a good thing for ALL photographers. It will definitely put downward pressure on camera prices. The A1 has been out about a year now. I can easily see a sale for the Christmas season with significant discounted prices and or deeply discounted combos. I say that because Sony has won over a lot of Nikon shooters many of whom likely still have a closet full of Nikon lenses. Not a difficult return journey. And of course Canon will have to follow suit just cuz.

It appears we all have this problem. I've not scrutinized my purchases up until this point, so I have a number of expensive cards that are probably in the same ballpark.

I actually did research when I moved from XQD to CFE, and the Sony Tough CFE were listed as best on this page. Or I thought I researched, it seems like the only looked at the max speeds, not actual throughput tests. And the other page I checked (if I remember correctly) was not really complete. Sigh, lesson learned…

I actually did research when I moved from XQD to CFE, and the Sony Tough CFE were listed as best on this page. Or I thought I researched, it seems like the only looked at the max speeds, not actual throughput tests. And the other page I checked (if I remember correctly) was not really complete. Sigh, lesson learned…

Only the _very last_ card I bought doesn't have this problem. And it's pure luck I noticed the performance and changed my mind for that order.

Back