Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think the price tag is an apology to the Nikon faithful. And maybe a welcome home to some. Or a decent meal and a shower to us hostages. If it truly a hit I wouldn't be at all surprised if the price increases after a few months.
They’ll leave the price and just put out a mark II for a grand more in a year, lol.

Reactions: Hut
One thing to know about Delkin. Their cards run cooler than most. Also their "POWER" line should be identical performance to the "BLACK" line. The black line is just tougher build (like Sony Tough) but as far as I know the internals are the same and Power are cheaper. I've owned Power CFe-B and Power SD V90 and they are great cards.

Re Delkin, the Black says sustained minimum write while the Power says Maximum write. Could I assume that the Power should be ok for short raw bursts and a minute of 8k 30P ?? Just want to make sure that I have a suitable card in hand before the Z9 is delivered. Thanks.

Re Delkin, the Black says sustained minimum write while the Power says Maximum write. Could I assume that the Power should be ok for short raw bursts and a minute of 8k 30P ?? Just want to make sure that I have a suitable card in hand before the Z9 is delivered. Thanks.

I wouldn’t trust any card for the Z9 that does not state a MINIMUM write speed. Check the DPReview initial video for a feel what performance might be like if you don’t get a good card.

Last edited:
Incredible! The 500 PF owners are in for a treat for sure. The entire osprey in flight series he shows is shot with a 500pf with the 1.4tc attached. I know with the previous z cameras the 500pf with 1.4 was ok for static subjects but this one truly brings the best out of the PF. Also, he shows an image and a handheld video at 2000 plus mm, where he uses a 500pf with 2x Tc and a 2.3 crop at 4k 120p.

Another excellent review with plenty of footage.

Around the 29th minute mark the photographer shows samples of Osprey flight shots with 500 pf attached to a 1.4 x tc.

The 4k 120 FPS can also be shot with a 2.3x crop! That's great for shooting wildlife video especially of static subjects.

Incredible! The 500 PF owners are in for a treat for sure. The entire osprey in flight series he shows is shot with a 500pf with the 1.4tc attached. I know with the previous z cameras the 500pf with 1.4 was ok for static subjects but this one truly brings the best out of the PF. Also, he shows an image and a handheld video at 2000 plus mm, where he uses a 500pf with 2x Tc and a 2.3 crop at 4k 120p.

The sharp video, video AF, lack of AA filter, excellent AF has convinced me to buy a Z9 & pair it with my 500 pf rather buying a 500 f4 prime.

Will sell my Z6 ii & D500.

Will mostly likely buy the Z9 sometime in the next 6 months I guess.

Z9 retails at almost 6,400 USD (4.75 L INR) in India!

Probably another 250 USD for a 64 gb CF express B card.

There are already mistaken notions spreading across the internet, including wrong statements about the Z9 buffer by high profile influencers in the photographic media – inclduing dpr "reviewers". Inexcusable. How can they can they make such basic mistakes, and not ask Nikon technicians for the basic technical details, and write this stuff down? This applies especially to how the buffer relates to the fps vs RAW formats. AND above all what are the specifications of the optimal Storage media - ie Flashcards? As discussed above, we have learnt from Riccitalks that the sustained write rates of most CFExpress B cards are too slow and they overheat. The Z9 Brochure states "When using ProGrade Digital COBALT 1700R 325GB cards. Up to approx. 3 seconds of 20-fps high-speed continuous shooting is possible in RAW + JPEG or JPEG + JPEG."

~10:00 - technical feedback from Mark Cruz, Nikon USA about write rates etc.
~16:00 >He goes on to discuss how the Autofocus of the Z9 overlays object detection in categorised subject-tracking and 3D. The AI algorithms of the subject-detection "box" apparently change shape to match the subject.
~43:30 > LCD and no blackout EVF
53:00 > New Compression algorithm of 45mp RAW 14bit images is highly efficient. We can get to 1/3 file size, yet kept in full 14bit

Quotable Quote 50:00 > "Old School meets New Technology...This camera is a beautiful combination of everything we've learned with the highest technology available." - Joe McNally

more from one site to watch for credible reporting on the Z9
Nikon D6 vs Nikon Z9

Last edited:
I am happy the Z9 is here at last, however.....
All i want is the focus tracking to be at least as sticky as Sony or Canon, i have suspicion its just a little behind.

All i want is accurate colour
High Dynamic Range
Quality high ISO
Total shutter silence as an option
Tiff format
5/4 format

Excellent focusing.
Genuine speed
Fast focus acquisition
Lighter weight than a D5
FX lens compatibility
Some of these things may or may not exist.

I also feel it needs to be in the streets a little, first runs always have some issues, sorry its based on history.

Oz down under

Last edited:
So basicaly, you will get between 40 and 60 shots RAW, even with the fast cards.

1000+ shots only in High Efficiency RAW
No, Matt G got over 1000 on High Efficiency Raw and almost 600 on the other High raw, so I would guess closer to 100-200 on lossless. He will post a new video next week. The Cobalt 325 is min 1500 write, a Delkin 128 is 1710 so that's even more. Also, that was plus jpeg, raw alone would get more. And one more thought, since there is no internal buffer and it is dependent on the card, newer tech and newer cards make the buffer longer with time.

I
I was thinking a lot whether to post this link or not... but here it is... Especialy because he did not have a camera in hands.

If you can get past by the mean tone and the rant (I know that many can't),
it might be that he is correct about some things and why the buffer performance (in large/lossless RAW)is not as expected...

Hopefully High Efficiency RAW would be almost the same quality... In that case this would be a non issue...
Interesting comments revealing the Z9 has not achieved cold fusion and indeed has to follow the same laws of physics we mere mortals do. His comments were interesting about the processor having to run the autofocus, the EVF, the analog to digital conversion, and write out 45 megapixels. The R3 punted on the number of megapixels, I don't know what the A1 compromised on. No mechanical shutter, that is a giant leap.

He mentioned no buttons upper right, what is that about?

Some of the video reviews show it being used.
I was thinking a lot whether to post this link or not... but here it is... Especialy because he did not have a camera in hands.

If you can get past by the mean tone and the rant (I know that many can't),
it might be that he is correct about some things and why the buffer performance (in large/lossless RAW)is not as expected...

Hopefully High Efficiency RAW would be almost the same quality... In that case this would be a non issue...
My wife walking by as I watched this thought I was listening to Jerry Seinfeld. My takeaway is that mine will be here sooner than I anticipated because they won’t be selling many Z9’s.

I am happy the Z9 is hear at last, however.....
All i want is the focus tracking to be at least as sticky as Sony or Canon, i have suspicion its just a little behind.

All i want is accurate colour
High Dynamic Range
Quality high ISO
Total shutter silence as an option
Tiff format
5/4 format

Excellent focusing.
Genuine speed
Fast focus acquisition
Lighter weight than a D5
FX lens compatibility
Some of these things may or may not exist.

I also feel it needs to be in the streets a little, first runs always have some issues, sorry its based on history.

Oz down under

Whichever way one looks at it, Z9 has good enough AF. Will only get better with firmware updates.

It is about getting good lenses now.

I think Nikon can look at making Z8 with the following specs

Develop a new 33 pixel stacked sensor.
1) Same AF & expeed 7 chip as Z9
2) No AA filter
3) Improved DR & ISO performance compared to Z9 due to lower mega pixels
4) 4k 120 FPS 10 bit internal
5) No need for 8k
6) 12 FPS at lossless compressed raw
6) Price it at 3,500 USD.

This will be more affordable & will sell more.

Last edited:
Back