Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

From a DX perspective the D-9 is a pound+ heavier than the D-500 and I need to add a FTZ for my 500pf. That may be too much for either myself or my wife to handhold. That pound was critical moving from a D-7200/Sigma 150-600c to the D-500/500pf but a Z-9/500pf might be better balanced than the D-7200/Sigma 150-600c.

Steve, I'm doing the Nikon Boogie at my computer. I am my own EXPERT on just about anything. I listen to you and myself when it comes to Nikon. WoooWho just ordered my Z9 and FTZ2 and will send in the NPS special code for priority seating.
All you Nikon guys step up and get on the Nikon Boogie train!!!!
Ps Still waiting on the final price. These Zs are going to sell like hotcakes....

Steve, you had better take a new picture for your avatar as your SMILE will be much larger when you hold the new Z. Remember to hoist your Z9 flag on your Nikon ship. Your Sony and Canon will soon surrender.

Last edited:
I think the Nikon Z9 will be great once the Nikon fully push the fixed Firmware out. I like what they showed at presentation, but I will wait on real world reviews first before moving to Z9. And yes, finally the Nikon improved focus tracking 👍. What Morten Hilmer showed is nice to see, but ai hope Steve will also show the indepth review or test of it. Looking forward to see. I happy to see Nikon getting back in a game 😁.

According to Fro bro, the lossless compressed RAW file size is 60 MB and DPReview stated Nikon said the high efficiency* RAW is 1/2 the size of lossless RAW (30 MB) and high efficiency RAW is 1/3 the size of lossless RAW (20 MB). Like the new Sonys with their XR processor, this camera also only shoots 14 bit RAW with just the level of compression changing, not the bit level.

Nikon Z9 RAW compression/file size, FPS and buffer:
Lossless compressed/60 MB - 20 FPS - small buffer
High efficiency*/30 MB - 20 FPS - usable buffer
High efficiency/20 MB - 20 FPS - no worries buffer

*Z9 data above is accurately assumed, but is not confirmed in real world situations.

Sony a1 RAW compression/file size, FPS and buffer:
Uncompressed/102 MB - 20 FPS - useable buffer
Lossless compressed/64 MB - 20 FPS - usable buffer
Compressed/54 MB - 30 FPS - usable buffer

*a1 data above is accurate and real world confirmed.

With that out of the way, the Z9 looks like it’ll be a great camera. Most important things to me will be how good the focusing algorithms are and how customizable the buttons/layout can be taylor made to your shooting style.

It's exactly up to the competion, at least to the A1. With the A1 you're limited to 20 FPS unless you shoot jpeg or lossy raw files and only then do you get 30 FPS. That's exactly how Nikon implemented the Z9, you get 20 FPS for lossless compressed raw and 30 FPS for jpegs or their new lossy compressed raw modes. They haven't surpassed the Sony full image frame rates or limitations but they've matched them.
Are you sure about this? There seems to be multiple reports that you can't get 20FPS in lossless raw or if you can it is only a buffer of 40 images which is pretty much useless for action. It would be mind blowing to me if you can't but more then a few have called that out. With CFB cards I couldn't imagine they don't have a 200+ buffer at 20FPS but not what is being reported.

Additionally according to DPReview, “early impressions indicate that dynamic range is just under a stop behind the Z7 II”.

This would put it around original a9 dynamic range.

Photons to photos:
Z7 II: 11.60
a9: 10.64 (electronic shutter)
a1: 11.36

Are you sure about this? There seems to be multiple reports that you can't get 20FPS in lossless raw. It would be mind blowing to me if you can't but more then a few have called that out. With CFB cards I couldn't imagine they don't have a 200+ buffer at 20FPS but not what is being reported.
Nope, thought I was sure but that's probably me just drinking from the firehose of info released this morning and confusing some of it. Others have pointed out that the published Z9 info is jpeg only at 30 FPS.

My wife doesn't understand me:( I was sitting at 95% sure about acquiring the Sony A1, 200-600 zoom + accessories but decided to hold off to see what Nikon would deliver this month. The new Z9 with 100-400 zoom has changed things but only slightly. While the Nikon option with some additional accessories is cheaper than the Sony (but only by about $700) I am unsure if the Nikon zoom will suit my purpose. 400mm seems a bit short. I suppose I could save money by not getting the zoom and sticking with my 150-600 G2 but since I used the Nikon 500PF I lost love for the Tamron. Do I really want to get a "high end" camera and use a (just) ok zoom on it? Of course I do have several other Nikon lenses that work on the Z9 and be useless with the A1

I am retired and photography is just a hobby but I am all in and dont mind spending the money (my wife still works and makes big buck$ ;)). So here is my dilemma as I explained to my wife. Do I spend $11.7K for a Nikon package or do I spend $12.4K for the Sony package. Her reaction was, "If that is the biggest problem in you life atm you have it easy". Like I said, she doesn't understand. I am thinking maybe I need a new wife to help me decide..

One feature that I haven't seen highlighted anywhere yet. At 2.5 oz heavier and 20 percent smaller(linear scale) that make the Z9 significantly higher density than any previous flagship camera. Combined with the two position highly holdable Nikon grip this camera has some serious potential to be used in self-defense situations should it be necessary. Either held or thrown.

Nope, thought I was sure but that's probably me just drinking from the firehose of info released this morning and confusing some of it. Others have pointed out that the published Z9 info is jpeg only at 30 FPS.
I hear you! I have been trying to keep up and finally gave up lol.

I'm super excited about this Z9! I have been using a D5 with my 500mm PF 5.6. Does anyone have any experience shooting that lens with the D850? I'm wondering if 45 megapixels would be too much for the 500mm pf 5.6. I have incredible images with the more forgiving 20 megapixel D5.

I'm super excited about this Z9! I have been using a D5 with my 500mm PF 5.6. Does anyone have any experience shooting that lens with the D850? I'm wondering if 45 megapixels would be too much for the 500mm pf 5.6. I have incredible images with the more forgiving 20 megapixel D5.
I no longer own my D850, but I used my 500mm PF with it quite frequently. The lens is great and holds up to close inspection even with the D850.

The only thing I've used my 500PF with has been D500 and D850 which is virtually the same pixel pitch. Super sharp. Can't tell any difference in IQ from images taken with 500 f4G.

The only thing I've used my 500PF with has been D500 and D850 which is virtually the same pixel pitch. Super sharp. Can't tell any difference in IQ from images taken with 500 f4G.
Crap, that's not what I wanted to hear. Looks like I'm getting another camera....haha Z9! Can't wait! I do want to be able to focus to the edges and the autofocus would be so amazing after using the D5 for so long. I also scare a lot of animals away when I start clicking. This will be fun!

Back