Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Yes, Nikon is calling their highly compressed raw in the Z9 'High-Efficiency Raw' and you get the full 30 FPS frame rate when shooting in that mode or at least that's what I gathered from this morning's round of previews. They no longer call it 'lossy compression' but it's pretty clear with the large amount of compression that it has to be a lossy algorithm as true lossless compression algorithms like LZW or ZIP don't achieve nearly as much image size compression as they're advertising. Whether the new compression yields near lossless results remains to be seen.

30FPS is JPEG Only on the Z9. It is full sized Jpeg. 120FPS is Small Jpeg (11MP) only.

RAW (no matter what compression) is 20FPS.

Watch the Jared Polin video as he goes through this in the menus.

Someone posted an image from one of the test videos showing the existing FTZ adapter in use with the Z9. The Z9 does have a bump along the bottom that serves as the grip in vertical shooting mode but it appears that that grip does not interfere with the existing FTZ.
Thanks DR. I haven't watched all the videos yet. The more I read and see the more I want this camera. Now, to find a way to pay for it.
Jeff

30FPS is JPEG Only on the Z9. It is full sized Jpeg. 120FPS is Small Jpeg (11MP) only.

Probably got that confused with buffer performance in the High-Efficiency RAW mode, thanks for the clarification.

Watched too many videos this morning and hard to sort them all out at this point.

Looking at the silhouette, it looks like an 800 f8 PF most likely.

Wow a 800 PF would be amazing.

The 400 f2.8 Z has a TC. So I am guessing it is longer than the F mount 400 F2.8.

F mount 800 f5.6 = about 18 inches

F mount 400 f 2.8 = about 14 inches

So a Z mount 400 f 2.8 with TC will likely be as tall as a traditional Z mount 800 f 5.6

So the Z mount 800 f5.6 unlikely to turn out to be a PF.

6999.00 CAD here in Canada- Dec 2021. Preorder.
I am wondering about compatibility with older lenses like the 600 f4, 500 pf. I expect that the adapter will handle such, but certainly, if not would be a deal breaker.
Also...ISO performance? Comparable to D5?

I apparently I misunderstood that but still the A1 does not shoot lossless raw at 30 FPS it is also limited to either lossy raw or jpegs at that frame rate.
Unless you are okay with 40 shot buffer on a 20FPS camera you will be using lossy RAW on the Z9 all the time anyways. Z9 has lossless RAW and two lossy formats. We don't know how these new lossy formats will stack up against Sony's excellent Lossy RAW.

Reactions: Hut
Unless you are okay with 40 shot buffer on a 20FPS camera you will be using lossy RAW on the Z9 all the time anyways. Z9 has lossless RAW and two lossy formats. We don't know how these new lossy formats will stack up against Sony's excellent Lossy RAW.

I cant tell a difference on the A1 between lossless and compressed :)

I just pre ordered one from Mikes Camera in Denver, shipping date they gave me was December 15th for all those that are curious

I immediately pre-ordered the 24-120, and the 100-400. These two lenses will replace my 24-70 4, 24-200, and my 70-300 F 🤗

I almost pre-ordered the Z9 - but truth be told it's not an immediate need for me so I'm trying to be somewhat responsible with $ :) I'm holding out for the next-gen Z6/7 ("8"?) to see what they inherit from this Z9 beast. But I'm exercising a lot of self-control here today 😆

Watch the Jared Polin v)deo as he goes through this in the menus.
Which begs the question if, for instance, someone might use the Topaz jpeg to RAW conversion tool to gain added flexibility in processing those frames from the 30 fps full res jpeg files, given they're not RAW files (not even the lossy RAW of the Sony)?

Unless you are okay with 40 shot buffer on a 20FPS camera you will be using lossy RAW on the Z9 all the time anyways.
As has been noted in this thread the 40 shot estimate the dpreview guys came up with was likely limited by the slower card they were using. I suspect we'll see much better buffer performance with a decent card.

We don't know how these new lossy formats will stack up against Sony's excellent Lossy RAW.
True, that's one of the big unknowns at this point.

More initial impressions, note a Nikon ambassador (who admits a Z9 is overkill for his landscape work!). Interesting to see the screening shutter in action changing lenses outdoors. Note the examples of the dogs running out the bracken and playing in the water with the eye focus drilling through the spray

Thanks for sharing the link on this one. The dog shots are something else... wow! He cracked me up...mentioned several times that "this isn't a landscape camera" while taking great landscape shots. LOL It's going to be an amazing camera for any situation IMO. Happy to see Nikon in the mix with the flagship mirrorless competition.

Matt Granger did this test with his 200 F2 and it worked perfectrly. In fact he says it brings in new life to the existing F mount glass.

6999.00 CAD here in Canada- Dec 2021. Preorder.
I am wondering about compatibility with older lenses like the 600 f4, 500 pf. I expect that the adapter will handle such, but certainly, if not would be a deal breaker.
Also...ISO performance? Comparable to D5?

Ehhhh, I don't really care what other folks shoot, lot's of great camera systems out there these days but I sure would like to see a good comparative review from someone I trust :)
Can't help it. Too many thinly veiled jabs from Sony fans for months. And even Steve's diplomatic comments have been pretty clear. And much appreciated for that reason. I've been and remain on the fence with Nikon as a "hostage". My local shop has had A1 and 200-600 in stock for weeks. It's taken more than a little resolve not to run down there.

Back