Official Nikon Z9 Launch, Info, and Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think Nikon created a hit but I did find a couple things surprising.

As someone who has shot Nikon since the F5 and recently moved to Sony a1 system this year here are my takes.

I like the built in grip, the Z9 is a sexy camera for sure! I don't mind the add on grip of the a1 and not having a grip could have some advantages at times but I have never taken the grip off so for me Nikon made the better choice with larger battery and ergonomics I suspect will be amazing. Win Nikon

I love that Nikon kept the buttons that light up! I miss this with the a1 as I do a lot of astro work. Win Nikon

I love what Nikon did with the sensor protector and how fast it appears to turn on and off. Sony uses an actual shutter to close, it works, it is slow and I worry I might damage the shutter which will lead to a costly repair. I will give this design a win to Nikon

I like the extra diversity of the rear screen on the Z9. I do prefer the rear screen to stay behind the camera as I am not taking selfies or blogging. I would say this is mostly a push between Z9 and a1 but would give the slight nod to Nikon for the extra tilt function. Slight win Nikon

Dual CF Express B cards. I haven't had any issues with the CF Express A cards (I have 3 of them), they are expensive, now with ProGrade they have come down a little in price but very limited choices. Speed of the A have been fine but I would have preferred B cards for the extra speed, especially in downloading to the computer. However Sony design does offer the best of both worlds with dual slots that support both CFA and SD cards. Much better solution then what Canon did on R3 with 2 different slots and what Nikon has done with cameras such as D850. I have never liked having 2 different card formats in the same camera. I give this win by a hair to Sony for 2 card types in one slot but still would prefer B cards like the Z9 (part of this comes from I already had B cards and readers I had to sell and replace when I went to Sony).

FPS: Well this is a bit confusing and unknown just yet. From what I am seeing I think Sony is winning this for RAW shooters. For Jpeg shooters it is a push except for the 120FPS reduced MP files. I don't see me ever using this for my type of work but hey why not include it if you can, even if there is very very limited real world use by the masses. For now win Sony

AF: To early to know, from what it looks like I am guessing Sony is likely still ahead but the gap has sure closed. Win Sony for now but way to go Nikon!

Lenses: Native glass win Sony

Lenses part 2: Adaptable glass and diversity especially with tilt shift and super tele win Nikon

Flash Sync: Win Sony

The Z9 doesn't make me regret leaving, nor would it make me come back however Nikon is on the right track so that is great! I suspect for many the Z9 keeps them for leaving which is also great! We all want and need Nikon to survive and thrive and I see the Z9 as the first real step in that future. Now if Nikon comes out with a PF big boy lens like is now rumored I sure could see buying that single lens and a Z9 or its replacement (not knowing when you could even get one of the new lenses (took me years to get a 500PF)) and using it along side my Sony gear.

I can't wait to see Steve get some seat time with the Z9 and report on what he thinks.

Today is a history making moment for Nikon as it has killed the DSLR, I see no reason to not invest into this new future.

I'm super excited about this Z9! I have been using a D5 with my 500mm PF 5.6. Does anyone have any experience shooting that lens with the D850? I'm wondering if 45 megapixels would be too much for the 500mm pf 5.6. I have incredible images with the more forgiving 20 megapixel D5.
I had the combo and found it outstanding!

I think the price tag is an apology to the Nikon faithful. And maybe a welcome home to some. Or a decent meal and a shower to us hostages. If it truly a hit I wouldn't be at all surprised if the price increases after a few months.
Interesting thoughts. I've been shooting Nikon since the D1X and D1H (yr 2001) and I have NEVER seen them raise the price of any camera from launch regardless of popularity.

HaHa. Shot with Nikon for 40 years. Switched to Sony 2 years ago and have been shooting with the a1 for three months. Glad to see Nikonians excited again, but you can have my Z9 ;)
🤣 I'll take your Z9. I have too much nikon glass to switch. Sony really did a great job reinventing the industry. It's an incredible product.

I doubt whether Sony or Canon will keep quiet.They will come back with their own plan & they do have deep pockets.I only hope Nikon has not pinched itself by keeping the price low
Sony would need to drop the A1 price by $1000 and that does not count the cost of the grip. Doubt they will do it.

What lens do you plan to use with your new Z9?

I'll use my existing F lenses; I own the 800 5.6 so that will be the main lens I'll use, probably 99.9% of the time on it for bird and wildlife photography. Hopefully works without any problems on the adaptor. Will be curious what the difference is with the new 800 that they'll have in a couple of years, the 800 is wonderful. I also own the 80-400 which is great for larger birds or shooting loons from a boat.

As someone who has shot Nikon since the F5 and recently moved to Sony a1 system this year here are my takes.

I like the built in grip, the Z9 is a sexy camera for sure! I don't mind the add on grip of the a1 and not having a grip could have some advantages at times but I have never taken the grip off so for me Nikon made the better choice with larger battery and ergonomics I suspect will be amazing. Win Nikon

I love that Nikon kept the buttons that light up! I miss this with the a1 as I do a lot of astro work. Win Nikon

I love what Nikon did with the sensor protector and how fast it appears to turn on and off. Sony uses an actual shutter to close, it works, it is slow and I worry I might damage the shutter which will lead to a costly repair. I will give this design a win to Nikon

I like the extra diversity of the rear screen on the Z9. I do prefer the rear screen to stay behind the camera as I am not taking selfies or blogging. I would say this is mostly a push between Z9 and a1 but would give the slight nod to Nikon for the extra tilt function. Slight win Nikon

Dual CF Express B cards. I haven't had any issues with the CF Express A cards (I have 3 of them), they are expensive, now with ProGrade they have come down a little in price but very limited choices. Speed of the A have been fine but I would have preferred B cards for the extra speed, especially in downloading to the computer. However Sony design does offer the best of both worlds with dual slots that support both CFA and SD cards. Much better solution then what Canon did on R3 with 2 different slots and what Nikon has done with cameras such as D850. I have never liked having 2 different card formats in the same camera. I give this win by a hair to Sony for 2 card types in one slot but still would prefer B cards like the Z9 (part of this comes from I already had B cards and readers I had to sell and replace when I went to Sony).

FPS: Well this is a bit confusing and unknown just yet. From what I am seeing I think Sony is winning this for RAW shooters. For Jpeg shooters it is a push except for the 120FPS reduced MP files. I don't see me ever using this for my type of work but hey why not include it if you can, even if there is very very limited real world use by the masses. For now win Sony

AF: To early to know, from what it looks like I am guessing Sony is likely still ahead but the gap has sure closed. Win Sony for now but way to go Nikon!

Lenses: Native glass win Sony

Lenses part 2: Adaptable glass and diversity especially with tilt shift and super tele win Nikon

Flash Sync: Win Sony

The Z9 doesn't make me regret leaving, nor would it make me come back however Nikon is on the right track so that is great! I suspect for many the Z9 keeps them for leaving which is also great! We all want and need Nikon to survive and thrive and I see the Z9 as the first real step in that future. Now if Nikon comes out with a PF big boy lens like is now rumored I sure could see buying that single lens and a Z9 or its replacement (not knowing when you could even get one of the new lenses (took me years to get a 500PF)) and using it along side my Sony gear.

I can't wait to see Steve get some seat time with the Z9 and report on what he thinks.

Today is a history making moment for Nikon as it has killed the DSLR, I see no reason to not invest into this new future.

Thank you for this writeup! I think another big difference is the price. Win Nikon!

Dual CF Express B cards. I haven't had any issues with the CF Express A cards (I have 3 of them), they are expensive, now with ProGrade they have come down a little in price but very limited choices. Speed of the A have been fine but I would have preferred B cards for the extra speed, especially in downloading to the computer. However Sony design does offer the best of both worlds with dual slots that support both CFA and SD cards. Much better solution then what Canon did on R3 with 2 different slots and what Nikon has done with cameras such as D850. I have never liked having 2 different card formats in the same camera. I give this win by a hair to Sony for 2 card types in one slot but still would prefer B cards like the Z9 (part of this comes from I already had B cards and readers I had to sell and replace when I went to Sony)...
The Z9 does take two formats, CFE/b or XQD. Anyone who's been shooting high end Nikon likely already has XQD cards to get started with no additional expense.

If you could only get 1 lens would you get the Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S or the Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S and why?
I think I would go with the 100-400 along with the 24-70/f4…more on the long end for BIF and wildlife and losing the 70-100 range is small compensation for that.

Some random thoughts:

1) I recently was shopping to add another CFE-b card and was looking at the Prograde cards and was tempted by the 1TB cards. Then I noticed they had two different versions of the CFE-b cards. Gold and Cobalt. Looking closer I realized the Cobalt offered significantly higher MINIMUM write speeds. It's easy to forget that the big speed written on all the advertising are MAXimum speeds. I ordered the Cobalt card even though it's only available in 650GB. I suspect we're all going to start paying closer attention to the CFE-b speeds now that we're getting cameras that can actually bump up against those limits.

2) Note Ricci's review of the 100-400 said image quality is basically the same as the 180-400. And that's with or without the Z 1.4 TC (to match the built in one on the 180-400). That's nuts. I've used the Sony 100-400 and it's an awesome lens, but I noticed the Nikon improved some operational/handling aspects of the lens. It looks like it doesn't extend as far as the Sony (keeping weight distribution better), and even though it sounds like a minor thing, it looks like they control the lens creep well and the Sony does not. The lens creep on the Sony was annoying.

3) I haven't really scrutinized the specs, but I'm getting the big battery is partially the reason for the weight. I wouldn't be surprised if the new battery weighs more than the old one either. It seems that _part_ of the reason use an integrated grip was to ensure you'd always have that big battery. So basically, they traded weight for battery performance which is something I can get behind.

-john

Last edited:
The Z9 does take two formats, CFE/b or XQD. Anyone who's been shooting high end Nikon likely already has XQD cards to get started with no additional expense.
Not really the same thing but OK. I get it for those who have XQD but at the file size and speed you will need to upgrade anyway.

Anyone know if the FTZ adaptor will fit with the built in grip? I didn't see any announcement on a FTZ2. Thoughts?
Yes it works fine on the Z9
Anyone know if the FTZ adaptor will fit with the built in grip? I didn't see any announcement on a FTZ2. Thoughts?
On the Morten Hilmer (page one video) he is using a 180-400 with the FTZ adapter on a Z(

Looks like a great camera assuming the performance lives up to the specs. Very attractive price too. Should put downward pressure on the a1’s price.

a camera this good doesn’t need the hype of the teasers.

Reactions: Hut
OK, listen. Sony fans. Just stick with what you've got and don't clog up the que any more than it already is.
Agreed!!
From a DX perspective the D-9 is a pound+ heavier than the D-500 and I need to add a FTZ for my 500pf. That may be too much for either myself or my wife to handhold. That pound was critical moving from a D-7200/Sigma 150-600c to the D-500/500pf but a Z-9/500pf might be better balanced than the D-7200/Sigma 150-600c.
I am happy about the weight that will help balance a long telephoto and the ergonomics of the Z9 camera body vs the competition.

"So basically, they traded weight for battery performance which is something I can get behind."

Yep. I disagree. Not happy with Nikon's direction.

I watched the professional photographers lug around huge lenses and get in contorted positions, even one lying on rocks to shoot birds and reindeer. I do not see Joe average retiree now wildlife photographer do anything like that. The Z-9 is a professional camera not a semi-pro retired enthusiast camera whereas the Sony A1, while quite expensive, fills the bill quite nicely.

The crucial question for marketers is who is your target market? How big is the target market for Steves, Thom Hogans and the like?

Back