Rumors: New Nikon Z9 Firmware Update With Enhanced AF Acquisition Coming Soon (or not 🙂)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

?!

Not sure how this relates to any feature like pixel shift?
?? Each shift contains a full frame. Most likely, 4 or more frames (see OM system for implementation).

Then each capture has to be combined AND stored then fed to a card.

What do you think from experience about the final size and storage of the resultant file? How much dynamic memory would be needed to handle the data?

Not only do we have a buffer size (memory), but the data handling, heat generated, speed of computations. This is not a Nikon issue, but current state of the art of micro processors. OM systems can do it. as there is less data to handle. Solution: Take pano and stich in post.

Not only do we have a buffer size (memory), but the data handling, heat generated, speed of computations. This is not a Nikon issue, but current state of the art of micro processors. OM systems can do it. as there is less data to handle. Solution: Take pano and stich in post.

Nikon implementation of pixel shift is not done in camera. Is captured in camera and post processed via nx studio off camera.

Ah! Now that is a possibilty. A clean easy implementation. BUT the results cannot be viewed in the field. Akin to stacking and processing when back at the studio.. Now on to the issue of using the IBIS to create 4 or more single files to be post processed. I'm not familiar with the tech data, but I read some use color selective pixel saving. I'll bow out, as this is not my area of expertise - how the files and pixels are combined in pixel shift.

The processing is done in post, and relative to recording internal 8k RAW this is childplay. If the sensor can be moved in such manner.

Wonder if there is a hardware limitation on the Z 9. Sensor can not be micro moved to create a pixel shift. May have been built into the later cameras??? Just a guess
Perhaps Nikon wants to keep the Z9 and Z8 differentiated in terms of functionality. Or, there might be some other reason. But I’ve been told by Nikon personnel that the sensor and supporting hardware is identical.

Perhaps Nikon wants to keep the Z9 and Z8 differentiated in terms of functionality. Or, there might be some other reason. But I’ve been told by Nikon personnel that the sensor and supporting hardware is identical.

I have not had too many reasons to ever use pixel-shifting and I view it as a gimmick to help market small sensors, so I agree it's not at all important to the 8 and 9. I tried it on my (now sold) Zf, and it works as advertised.

I have not had too many reasons to ever use pixel-shifting and I view it as a gimmick to help market small sensors, so I agree it's not at all important to the 8 and 9. I tried it on my (now sold) Zf, and it works as advertised.
Same here. I tried it on my Zf (also sold) and later on my Z8 while shooting landscapes. The detail in the resulting images was impressive. It’s nice to know it’s there if I need it but it isn’t something I’m going to use often.

From the few images I’ve taken with my Zf and Z8 you can get some high detail but absolutely massive RAW file sizes that can be a bit slow to work with. Think 800-900+mb per image.

Maybe for landscape shooting it would be useful but I have not found pixel shift to be much use so far.

Henry Hudson did a comparison between pixel shift and adobe super resolution which was interesting and made pixel shift look a lot less necessary as a feature.

Back