Rumors: New Nikon Z9 Firmware Update With Enhanced AF Acquisition Coming Soon (or not 🙂)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Someone on rumors said: "In connection with the release of the Nikon Z6III, we're hearing about a cloud service that promises instant uploads as well as automatic downloads of updates. That would be a game changer."

Instant upload???! Dream on. There are data conveyance (speed) issues and link issues - via cell phone / access point? Maybe small JPG for media and web use....

No even worth discussing, More likely they are trying to fix lock ups in the Z9, and wandering focus issues.

I still maintain there is a memory issue (or lack thereof), as they can't even store sticky settings in body for instant recall, but must rely on the CFExpress, and other workarounds (not to mention RAW pro capture). Too much data to move and store.

Last edited:
Someone on rumors said: "In connection with the release of the Nikon Z6III, we're hearing about a cloud service that promises instant uploads as well as automatic downloads of updates. That would be a game changer."

Instant upload???! Dream on.
ok, how about “automatic uploads”? better?

There are data conveyance (speed) issues and link issues - via cell phone / access point? Maybe small JPG for media and web use....
i suspect basically outlets that normally would use ftp uploads wanted something a bit more 21st century and it’s an enabling technology because you can upload directly into adobe’s cloud and thus be read for editing.

i also suspect the biggest users are going to use facilities wifi but low volume shooters can take advantage of hotel wifi or even hotspots.

sure, it’s not a feature for everyone, but seems like a solid step forward.

More likely they are trying to fix lock ups in the Z9,
what lockups? i’m not saying they don’t happen but i’ve not heard of anything widespread.

and often lockups can be induced by media issues and that type of issue they _can’t_ fix

I still maintain there is a memory issue (or lack thereof), as they can't even store sticky settings in body for instant recall, but must rely on the CFExpress, and other workarounds (not to mention RAW pro capture). Too much data to move and store.
it’s not a problem, it’s just how it’s designed. you have a 20 frame buffer and enough storage for your settings and they in turn lowered the price of the entire camera which benefited users of all brands since it put price pressure on everyone.

i’m not saying it’s the best choice for everyone, but it is what it is.

And on cue
If there's any substance to this rumour, Nikon is keeping alive its 2nd gen Z camera, struggling to get new code running on a pair of EXPEED6 chips?

This contrasts against their 3rd generation MILCs, which all use EXPEED7. It seems a counterproductive investment of resources. Moreover, the Z6 camera line is now using EXPEED7 in the Z6 III

I don't buy it. There's some other sound reason for the delay (assuming the older Z9 FW rumour update was anyway true, of course!).

If there's any substance to this rumour, Nikon is keeping alive its 2nd gen Z camera, struggling to get new code running on a pair of EXPEED6 chips?

This contrasts against their 3rd generation MILCs, which all use EXPEED7. It seems a counterproductive investment of resources. Moreover, the Z6 camera line is now using EXPEED7 in the Z6 III

I don't buy it. There's some other sound reason for the delay (assuming the older Z9 FW rumour update was anyway true, of course!).
it does seem interesting and odd they’d spend the energy. but one possible reason it might be true is if it signals that they don’t plan to replace the z7ii for the foreseeable future and really see the cloud feature as key for all current bodies 🤷‍♂️

I think we will see a Z9 and Z8 firmware update soon. It will include the separation of the still/video shooting banks that I believe was supposed to be included in 5.0 but was pulled from the actual released firmware. It might also include some "improved focus" features.

So, not necessarily any update required for Steve's books!

The Z7ii is still a viable camera its problems lie mostly with the older autofocus system.

It is 47 mp and equal to or slightly better than the Z9 in image quality. It is also incredibly light and compact making the Z8 a heavy beast by comparison. I took a close look at Leicas for casual carry but I found the Z7ii with a small pancake lense is just as compact and easy to carry for a fraction of the price.

With the older processor it will never be a speedy camera but if they could revamp the autofocus it could be a satisfying camera for landscapes and general street use. You won't be chasing many birds with it but you could certainly make it work for mroe deliberative photography.

Otherwise making a z7iii has price point issues. Any major changes are going to bump up against the Z8 in pricing. You probably will also lose the extreme compact and lightness.

The way forward with a Z7iii would involve making it into the D859 plus of the Z series. Give it a huge bump in megapixel count, don't worry about speed but really emphasize image quality.

What auto focus changes would improve landscape photography? Or general street use? Both of those things are really low stress on auto focus (and for landscapes, I'd argue af is what you don't want most of the time).

What auto focus changes would improve landscape photography? Or general street use? Both of those things are really low stress on auto focus (and for landscapes, I'd argue af is what you don't want most of the time).
I still own my Z5 which is pretty similar for AF to the Z7 line and It honestly gets just about anything I point it at. It doesn't have the subject detection of my Zf and Z8 but it's not nearly as bad as you would think reading reviews about the Z5/6/7 first and second gen cameras. They just didn't have the fully auto subject recognition of the Sony's and Canon's at the time so got a label of bad autofocus.

There are some quirks to learn like any system but it works. The worst part about it for action is the viewfinder blackout. That is way worse than the AF.

And that camera has AF-C stills at 30 FPS in video mode at 8mp which does work in a pinch for fast stuff used for typical sharing online.

Last edited:
I use autofocus quite a bit to pinpoint on something I want to emphazize through use of shallow depth of field. I do that a lot also in plant and flower photography. I would also do that with people and street images.

The problem with the Z7ii is that its autofocus system is quite different from the Z9 that I regularly use and every time I pick it up I have to rethink how I autofocus.

I think if it was set up the same way as the Z9 it may not do everything but it would at least have a consistent appearance.

Nikon Rumors today (yesterday?) says the updates are being held up as the Z7II update is wonky and Nikon wants to get it right before releasing; Rumors' source says, "The firmware updates for the Nikon Zf, Z8, and Z9 are going to seriously boost image processing." Whatever that means; hopefully not more AI enhancement in camera....

When I was talking to the rep, we got on the subject of zebras and he was asking why we needed them since we had the histogram. I told him how studying the histogram diverts your attention from the subject where a zebra stripe does not - and how even a minor distraction like looking at a histogram at the wrong moment can cost a shot - or how the reluctance to look away from the main subject and check exposure can cost a shot if it's clipping. I also mentioned how nice it was with the Sony cameras and what a difference it made. He seemed convinced and said he would pass it on. Beyond that conversation a few months back, that's all I know.

PS - I also had this one my list of update ideas I sent to them a couple years back (it was posted here somewhere), so it's nothing new. Just hoping :)

A lot of people would probably appreciate it being available

Steve, don't you know something that you're not telling us? ;)

When I was talking to the rep, we got on the subject of zebras and he was asking why we needed them since we had the histogram. I told him how studying the histogram diverts your attention from the subject where a zebra stripe does not - and how even a minor distraction like looking at a histogram at the wrong moment can cost a shot - or how the reluctance to look away from the main subject and check exposure can cost a shot if it's clipping. I also mentioned how nice it was with the Sony cameras and what a difference it made. He seemed convinced and said he would pass it on. Beyond that conversation a few months back, that's all I know.

PS - I also had this one my list of update ideas I sent to them a couple years back (it was posted here somewhere), so it's nothing new. Just hoping :)
Also, Steve, when recording video there's the option of displaying zebras. If it's useful in video recording, it's useful with stills, too. I wonder if the persons with authority over functionality are overly wedded to past decisions. The Banks paradigm Nikon has maintained for Z8/Z9 just isn't as useful as perhaps it once was. I wonder what's being communicated to Nikon by NPS members and Ambassadors?

Also, Steve, when recording video there's the option of displaying zebras. If it's useful in video recording, it's useful with stills, too. I wonder if the persons with authority over functionality are overly wedded to past decisions. The Banks paradigm Nikon has maintained for Z8/Z9 just isn't as useful as perhaps it once was. I wonder what's being communicated to Nikon by NPS members and Ambassadors?
I actually pointed that out - I mentioned you already are doing it for video, it can't be that though to add it to stills. I have no idea as far as who has authority over what functions are or are not in the camera or what they get from the Ambassadors (I'm not an Ambassador - we talked about it, but I think it would diminish the credibility of my reviews and recommendations).

Rumoured for a firmware update for the Paris games. The Z9 with enhanced AF acquisition. It has still not happened yet and Pixel Shift (or the lack of it) relegates the Z9 as being secondary to the Z8........Every day I am hoping for an announcement....
I heard about it was actually being tested by a specific individual at the Olympics in Paris. The report I got is that there is definitely a major firmware update coming for the Z9, Z8, and Z6iii.

Relating the delay to the Z7ii probably goes back to strict adherence to their firmware development models. Nikon has made it very clear that they want a high level of reuse across bodies - and I would assume that applies to firmware modules and keeping code aligned across cameras.

I wonder if the persons with authority over functionality are overly wedded to past decisions.
i also wonder if they are struggling switching mindsets to a software driven approach. in the past with custom chips you can imagine every feature cost a lot. but with more generic processors, it’s just software. sure, it still has a cost, but it’s a different world.

Reading through all this I divine that something substantial is on the way.

Nikon we love your stuff do us proud big guy.

And God Bless my PLENA. You did something special there Much Respect.

Back