Sad day - new beginning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well after more than 2 decades of exclusively shooting Nikon I have reluctantly switched to Sony. It's not by choice but rather necessity. I had hoped to forever stay with Nikon - shooting 95% wildlife with an occasional macro shot here and there. But after being told by my local dealer (and several others) that my none of my orders for the 400/600/800, place on the days of announcement, had any chance of arriving until end of 2023 - early 2024. I even called Niko to cancel my Nikon store order - and even they had no eta or shipping info - or - even a guess on when they might catch up with demand. Because I'm retired and officially a geezer, I have come to grips with the fact that I only have so many days of hiking around trails with gear, left in my creaky old joints. Waiting another year was a big factor for me. So, I bit the bullet and thoroughly maxed out the credit card. Sony A1, A7rV, 400f2.8, 600f4, 200-600, 1.4 tele and batteries/cards, etc. At least the sales guy at Hunts photo was happy . It is a sad day however, as I would have loved to stay on Nikon and it would have been great for Nikon to capture the $35k in revenue from me. But, my patience and physical endurance finally ran out. I'll probably keep some/most of my Niko kit - for macro work and other odd photos. I doubt I'll sell many items as you don't get much for used kit - especially DSLRs. I'll likely bundle up lens/body kits as gifts to get family and friends into photography. I gave the D500 and a few DX lenses away so far so, maybe some will grow into Nikon shooters over time.

So, now, the cussing and crying over the learning curve begins! 😂

Next stop - I'm back to a total camera noob - time to follow the link to the store for Steve's Sony e-book? Any other Sony tips on accelerating skills are appreciated...

cheers

I'm not too far behind you bobo. For now my DSLR and F Mount glass is doing the job for me. However, if any of them break, I drop them, they fall in the drink, or for some other reason fail to continue working, those decisions will be in front of me. Lots of choices out there but I have no desire to wait a year or more for the gear I want especially when there are cameras and lenses that I can have delivered to my door in a matter of days.

I have no brand loyalty. I use what works for me. When the time comes to buy new Gare, the decision will be based on a cost/benefit analysis, what features do I want (notice I didn't say need...), and what is available. The reason for availability is when I pull the trigger, it will be because I need something to replace a broken something.

Jeff

Both systems are excellent, can't really go wrong with Nikon or Sony. Nikon's limited supply is hurting them and it's tough to wait when Sony has equally good gear ready to go. The lenses you purchased are outstanding as is the a1 (and I'm sure, A7r5). It may feel sad now, but once you learn how to use it, the Sony system will easily deliver just as well as the Nikon system. And you can start using it now. :)

Well after more than 2 decades of exclusively shooting Nikon I have reluctantly switched to Sony. It's not by choice but rather necessity. I had hoped to forever stay with Nikon - shooting 95% wildlife with an occasional macro shot here and there. But after being told by my local dealer (and several others) that my none of my orders for the 400/600/800, place on the days of announcement, had any chance of arriving until end of 2023 - early 2024. I even called Niko to cancel my Nikon store order - and even they had no eta or shipping info - or - even a guess on when they might catch up with demand. Because I'm retired and officially a geezer, I have come to grips with the fact that I only have so many days of hiking around trails with gear, left in my creaky old joints. Waiting another year was a big factor for me. So, I bit the bullet and thoroughly maxed out the credit card. Sony A1, A7rV, 400f2.8, 600f4, 200-600, 1.4 tele and batteries/cards, etc. At least the sales guy at Hunts photo was happy . It is a sad day however, as I would have loved to stay on Nikon and it would have been great for Nikon to capture the $35k in revenue from me. But, my patience and physical endurance finally ran out. I'll probably keep some/most of my Niko kit - for macro work and other odd photos. I doubt I'll sell many items as you don't get much for used kit - especially DSLRs. I'll likely bundle up lens/body kits as gifts to get family and friends into photography. I gave the D500 and a few DX lenses away so far so, maybe some will grow into Nikon shooters over time.

Next stop - I'm back to a total camera noob - time to follow the link to the store for Steve's Sony e-book? Any other Sony tips on accelerating skills are appreciated...

cheers
Good luck and please let us know how it goes with Sony! I think Nikon's NPS policy definitely has made it very frustrating to those who are not NPS and, whether Nikon realizes it or not, seems to be a system at least in the US which is prone to schemes that make it less than valid. I am sure many others have found that a path which is less frustrating is to go with another system. I am tempted as well, though more likely to try the OM system though do wonder about its long term viability.

I find myself in the same situation having ordered the new Nikkor Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S lens the morning it was announced and yes, I'm NPS. It is extremely disappointing to see that Nikon has not been able to keep up with the demand for their new Z mount 600mm, 400mm, and 800mm lenses, and has had a significant lack of stock for these products. It is also unacceptable for a company to promote and release new products without having adequate stock on hand, and the fact that some customers have had to wait nearly a year to receive an order placed on the day of the product announcement is a major issue.

This lack of availability is especially frustrating for NPS members, who are among the most loyal and dedicated photographers using Nikon products. It is a slap in the face to these customers to have to wait so long for a product they were eager to purchase and use in their work.

In the future, it is important for Nikon to properly anticipate and prepare for the demand for their products, especially for high-demand items like these lenses. Customers should not have to wait months or even years to receive newly announced products, and it is important for Nikon to prioritize fulfilling orders in a timely and efficient manner for NPS members. Overall, it is crucial for Nikon to prioritize the needs and satisfaction of their customers, and work towards improving their availability and delivery of products.

Borrowing a phrase from a song by The Clash, "Should I Stay or Should I Go..."

Enjoy your new toys. Expect to hear the same message from you, only switching back to Nikon, in 5 years or so. Only 95% kidding .. who knows what the future will bring :unsure:

Congrats on the new system. Just heard from my dealer that the Sony FX6 is beginning to ship again after 18 months of waiting, I'm somewhere on the list...

cheers
As someone who made the switch as well, my only advice is that you will need to spend another $25. Just buy Steve's ebook on setting up the A1 and it will accelerate the learning curve by months. His set-up is intuitive and it works. And if you are like me, you'll find that Steve's set-up enables a few things that are not easy to do on a Nikon body and make life much easier.

What a journey to go through 🫣
I feel for you. All those sleepless nights. Perhaps you should publish your story to Nikon.
I already know that whenever Nikon announces a new high-end lens/camera, I take it as a “ERALY” announcement that will happen in coming 12-18 months. Nikon is doing us a favor by telling us early so we can save up…

I had a “serious” thinking process. if I should buy the 400/2.8 the fact that I’m going to wait around another year sealed the deal! Its not on the shelf and I can’t buy it.

Sony doesn’t have anymore miracles in gaining chips to deliver more, Its just a fact that Sony’s 400/2.8 wasn’t announced a couple months ago.

Remember the 500pf waiting queue? Suddenly its on $300 sale every couple months.

You did the right choice.

Have switched twice - once from nikon to canon when canon introduced IS long glass. My logic was if Nikon had introduced long VR/IS lenses I would buy them so why not buy them from canon. At that time I was shoot film so the body was less important than it is today. The second switch was about 5-6 years ago. I found the D850 and a host on nikon lens more attractive than canon's counter parts.

In both cases I am glad I did.

Nothing is permanent and it is possible that @Bobo will return to NIkon or even switch to another brand.

There is a learning curve, from Nikon to Canon and back again was not too bad. from Nikon dslr to MILC was more of a learning curve. I suspect that there will be a considerable amount of new stuff to learn/unlearn. Agree with FB101 and buy Steve's A1 book

Sony sounds like Nikon
It's very popular, probably the best sub-10k cinema camera on the market. Unlike still where Canon dominates, Sony making small gains, Nikon is trying to stage a comeback and Fuji is becoming bigger and bigger, Sony is by far the dominant player in video with the FX3, 6, 9 and Venice. And they just introduced an entry-level FX30 that is their first S35 sensor. All these go in and out of stock and the 6 is near impossible to get inside a year.

I am waiting for Nikon because there is no other 800 mm f6.3 equivalent. But it is annoying to say the least. Announced products that are not delivered. Yes, there are all kinds of explanations, but Nikon seems to keep shooting itself in the foot and Canon and Sony continue to deliver the goods.

I am waiting for Nikon because there is no other 800 mm f6.3 equivalent. But it is annoying to say the least. Announced products that are not delivered. Yes, there are all kinds of explanations, but Nikon seems to keep shooting itself in the foot and Canon and Sony continue to deliver the goods.
Nikon is a bit player with nowhere near the resources of Canon and Sony. It's a small miracle they survived and deliver (albeit slowly) such outstanding and innovative products.

First, Bobo, enjoy learning about and using your new gear. It should be exciting for you, and I really appreciate you using your Nikon gear to try to grow new photographers. I appreciate anyone doing so, with any good gear, no matter the brand. Hopefully, you'll get some family members or good friends hooked, and then they'll repay the favor by going out or taking you out shooting later on.

And what first-world problems we all have. We now have numerous brands of imaging systems that, truth-be-told, all have far more and better features that most of us will ever use. Companies keep "improving" their products so that we get new features or capabilities in new gear all of the time, and when people flock to purchase more than the company can produce in a certain time, impatience becomes common. We forget the reasons we chose the gear we chose in the first place. Like when we have to pay for a new type, or even more memory cards, we forget about the $1000+ bill for film and processing from the ten-day vacation back before we went digital, etc, etc.

I guess that if I ever go into business (Not gonna happen), I'll design and build less-than-stellar products so that they'll always be available and in stock. ;)

Last edited:

cheers
I found DXO Photolab to be a better choice than Adobe for my post processing of A1 files
I stuck to it when I got my Z9 ( I also have Adobe)

Nikon delays / backlogged orders have a history - almost a tradition - e.g. the F100 and FM3a cameras quite a few years back ;);) More recently - late 2018-2019 - there were acute delays of D850 deliveries and the 500 PF....in N America particularly.

There are countless forum threads on these topics, including global chip shortages - and also reiterating the solutions: order from local brick&mortar stores: and order early even at the faintest whiff of a new Nikon product; this is obviously when one knows this is a priority investment. In October 2021 did this with my local shop for the 800 PF back (also what has become the 400 f4.5S (these pre-orders relied on roadmap schema only).

A friend in UK has Early-Pre-ordered a Z8 (with zilch idea of whatever it really is and even if it's to be christened as such!). And he's already listed in the top 5 at the local store for the 200-600....

Web chatter etc suggests the Z9 backlog has eased greatly over the past month. My $0.02c for those invested in a Nikon F system and aim to expand into Z, is prioritize the Z9, for with a Z9 in hand, it's simple to adapt F-mount telephotos and enjoy the bonuses these combinations bring to one's photography. Nikon will get to shipping the outstanding Z tele's and other productss in a few months.

Despite the delays in new cameras and new lenses, 2022 turned out to be the year of the Z-telephotos; 2023 is looking to be another interesting "Z Year" :) Thom's guess is three new cameras and eight new lenses in 2023... https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/how-did-the-z-system-do-in.html

Personally, my investment in Nikon optics alone makes switching an insane notion, let alone relearning etc and also losing the reliability of high-end Nikon products, including weather-sealing et al outdoors. The light/compact telephotos, and equally the Integral-TC are as unique as they are superb.

Last but not least, living in Africa, repairs etc usually take months and IME my Nikon products have yet to fail (unless damaged by me!)

Last edited:
Although I understand your choice, especially since I still have a Sony 200-600 lens sitting on a shelf a used a9 or an a7IV have tempted me quite a few times (I owned an a7RIV for about a year), I picked Nikon when they were probably at their lowest in recent times, mostly for that reason. Since we saw the 400TC, 800PF, 400/4.5, 600TC and the Z9 happen. I took a bet on the outsider that once was leading it all :D They have a greater commitment to please customers. But I'm in no hurry at all for any product so that might play a role in my decision.

cheers
Welcome to Sony! I also shot a Nikon since the film days but I have to say the switch was well worth it. It was emotional for me as well but that quickly went away. I highly suggest you buy Steve’s A1 book. It opens a whole new world.

Your dilemma with Nikon is one of the main reasons I switched to Sony a year and a half ago. I just got tired of waiting and waiting and waiting. Oh and the A1 was the absolute best camera on the market by far at the time. You won't regret the switch. Sony will always be ahead of Nikon in the years ahead so your future is bright.

Back