Sad day - new beginning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It all depends on your needs. I have a Sony A1 and a 200-600G, that replaced my D500+500PF. But nice as it is, and good as it works, the 200-600 leaves me cold and I much preferred the images from my former Nikon combo.
So I have been on the pre-order list for the Z800PF since april, and although moving up, my camera store (which is a big one in my country), get's about one single 800PF per month, so a wait that will last a while.
I would get a Sony prime, if only Sony made one I like, a 500/4.5 or thereabouts, but the Nikon Z800PF and Z400/4.5 are so much nicer than Sony's big guns, so I will wait. If the 800PF doesn't come by spring, I will get the Z400+1.4TC first.

It all depends on your needs. I have a Sony A1 and a 200-600G, that replaced my D500+500PF. But nice as it is, and good as it works, the 200-600 leaves me cold and I much preferred the images from my former Nikon combo.
So I have been on the pre-order list for the Z800PF since april, and although moving up, my camera store (which is a big one in my country), get's about one single 800PF per month, so a wait that will last a while.
I would get a Sony prime, if only Sony made one I like, a 500/4.5 or thereabouts, but the Nikon Z800PF and Z400/4.5 are so much nicer than Sony's big guns, so I will wait. If the 800PF doesn't come by spring, I will get the Z400+1.4TC first.
I got the Z400 and have been using it, first with the 1.4TC, and more recently with the 2.0TC. I too am supposedly first on the list at our local camera store for the Z800PF but they claim that they only have received the lens for NPS members, not for non-members (put in an order and deposit before the official announcement of the lens). The Z400 plus the 2.0TC is quite a bit lighter than the Z800 though I am sure not as "good" though still reasonable. So something you might consider. One example with the combo:
[ ]

There is another way to look at your dilemma. As we get older (and I certainly qualify ) stimulating the brain is a good thing. So the challenge of learning a new camera system should be seen as beneficial as well as exciting! When I switched from a large Nikon DSLR kit to Sony, cold turkey like you, it was a great adventure. And, I have never looked back. If the A1 and A7R5 are your first foray into mirrorless systems you will not be disappointed. The lenses you have chosen will not let you down.
The A1 is a beautiful instrument that you can program to your every need and I'm sure will bring you lots of photographic joy. Happy New Year!

I've made the switch from Nikon to Sony this year as well. My Nikon D80 was still working fine but wanted to treat myself to a new camera. I looked at what was available from Nikon for camera bodies and glass but when compared to Sony's offerings I had to make the switch. I felt that Sony offered better auto focus and lens selection, especially from third parties, far exceeded what was available for Nikon. I ended up getting an A7iv, Sony 200-600, Tamron 70-150 2.8 and Sigma 34-70 2.8. I'm very happy with my new gear.

After switching to Sony from Nikon, I used MPB to sell most of my Nikon lenses. I found their process very efficient and the money I received (promptly) felt fair when I look at what they can sell the items for themselves and especially knowing that I had avoided the risks of private sales resulting in non-payment. They give you a quick estimate based on your statement of the item status. They pay for shipping and make that easy too. If they receive your item and judge it to be a different quality level than you stated, they provide a new value and give you the chance to continue or withdraw. One of my items got graded to a higher value, which I thought was impressively fair of them. I received thousands of dollars, which helped offset the expense of moving to Sony.

Well after more than 2 decades of exclusively shooting Nikon I have reluctantly switched to Sony. It's not by choice but rather necessity. I had hoped to forever stay with Nikon - shooting 95% wildlife with an occasional macro shot here and there. But after being told by my local dealer (and several others) that my none of my orders for the 400/600/800, place on the days of announcement, had any chance of arriving until end of 2023 - early 2024. I even called Niko to cancel my Nikon store order - and even they had no eta or shipping info - or - even a guess on when they might catch up with demand. Because I'm retired and officially a geezer, I have come to grips with the fact that I only have so many days of hiking around trails with gear, left in my creaky old joints. Waiting another year was a big factor for me. So, I bit the bullet and thoroughly maxed out the credit card. Sony A1, A7rV, 400f2.8, 600f4, 200-600, 1.4 tele and batteries/cards, etc. At least the sales guy at Hunts photo was happy . It is a sad day however, as I would have loved to stay on Nikon and it would have been great for Nikon to capture the $35k in revenue from me. But, my patience and physical endurance finally ran out. I'll probably keep some/most of my Niko kit - for macro work and other odd photos. I doubt I'll sell many items as you don't get much for used kit - especially DSLRs. I'll likely bundle up lens/body kits as gifts to get family and friends

I’m in the same category as you, Bobo. I was a dedicated NikonIan for almost 3 decades when I took the leap to Sony. I too am retired and am experiencing the challenges brought on by joint replacements and muscle failure. Over a year ago I sold ALL my Nikon equipment and fortunately got a pretty good price for it. I was just lucky picking the right time to switch. I can tell you I have NO regrets switching to Sony and have thoroughly enjoyed the past 18 months. I will tell you there is a bit of a learning curve getting familiar with Sony equipment and, in particular, mirrorless photography in general. Once you get comfortable with the new “stuff” you will quickly forget about the $$$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am NPS, ordered the 400 tc back in June. Ordered the 600 tc on the morning of the announcement and still waiting for both. Not sure how much longer I can wait.

With all the photographers that have jumped ship and all those that are thinking about it, I hope Nikon takes note of this and does something before they become just a memory. I have been a loyal Nikon user ever since I switched from Canon back in the late 80's early 90's. Maybe someone from Nikon corporation is on here reading all these posts, one can hope anyway. I ordered the 800pf lens on the day it was announced and still have no idea when I will actually have one to use. I don't know, but I may have to think about the jump if this keeps up.

I didn't read every post carefully so someone might have mentioned this already, but you asked about Sony learning assets out there other than all the excellent material Steve puts out. I made the same switch 20 months ago and found Mark Galer to be incredibly valuable in getting up to speed with the new gear.

I didn't read every post carefully so someone might have mentioned this already, but you asked about Sony learning assets out there other than all the excellent material Steve puts out. I made the same switch 20 months ago and found Mark Galer to be incredibly valuable in getting up to speed with the new gear.
I've also found that Mark Smith's a1 setup guide (on YouTube) to be very helpful.

While this change can seem emotionally difficult rest assured that other brands make equally outstanding equipment and in the right hands any of the well-known brands' cameras can make superb photos. Being of increasingly dubious soundness of body I also chose not to wait and I'm very happy with the Sony equipment (a1 & 600 GM), which I've been using since they became available: 3+ years for the 600 GM, nearly 2 years for the a1. Many thousands of photos, no regrets.

Last edited:
Best wishes on your switch. I am a Nikon user and plan to remain so for so long as I am able to use a camera.

All of the systms are quality with some variation in strengths and weaknesses. In my case the Nikon ergonomices are great for my oversize hands. Sony, while nice cameras, are just too small to feel comfortable and for me to properly manage them ergonomically. I got started with a Nikon D5000 and worked my way up through the D600, D750, Z6, D850 and now Z9. There were a few J3s along the way - used in an underwater housing so the small size was not an issue but now I am retired from diving. Then there was the D3500 with the 40mm Macro (both now sold) used with the ES-2 for copying old slides and negatives. This task will fall to the Z6 and 50mm Z macro. Otherwise, it is almost all the Z9 and D850 which are the first cameras I have had that actually fit my hands and feel good and comfortable to use.

Any major brand makes quality systems. Nikon works best for me, and we each should make our choices on that basis. Best wishes to you in you new Sony path! Enjoy shooting, capturing and sharing the images you seek!

Last edited:
I wasn’t overly invested in Nikon DSLR gear (but really lusting after the D-850) and saw the MILC writing on the wall.

I was very seriously considering getting the A1. To attribute the quote of General Forrest, Sony ”Got there firstest with the mostest”. I was following the angst/drama between the top two and maybe three flagship offerings. Thankfully my brother spared me and put all that to rest by gifting me the Z9 in June. I’m very glad I waited and am extremely happy with the Z9 And Z glass tele offerings. Hurry up and wait is now the order of the day for the Z800 arrival.

Just know there is no unicorn camera company, system or solution out there but there are clearly many viable ones.

Your dilemma with Nikon is one of the main reasons I switched to Sony a year and a half ago. I just got tired of waiting and waiting and waiting. Oh and the A1 was the absolute best camera on the market by far at the time. You won't regret the switch. Sony will always be ahead of Nikon in the years ahead so your future is bright.
In which case we look forward to Sony gaining ascendency in tele primes, video, VR etc. and maintaining said advantage in perpetuity.

With all the photographers that have jumped ship and all those that are thinking about it, I hope Nikon takes note of this and does something before they become just a memory. I have been a loyal Nikon user ever since I switched from Canon back in the late 80's early 90's. Maybe someone from Nikon corporation is on here reading all these posts, one can hope anyway. I ordered the 800pf lens on the day it was announced and still have no idea when I will actually have one to use. I don't know, but I may have to think about the jump if this keeps up.
With the current state of the world, and Nikon's limited assets, I think it is very unlikely that things will change even if Nikon wanted to. Based on the number of people who wanted the Z800mm PF lens and its availability, I actually think things will be even worse when Nikon releases the Z200-600mm or Z8/Z800 (ie. a lightweight mirrorless which has the capabilities of the Z9) since the demand for these will be even greater, even if they can produce them in higher quantities (sorry I am a pessimist). So if this is a source of frustration which ruins your enjoyment of photography, you might consider switching sooner rather than later. Otherwise, enjoy the equipment that is available to you, which is considerable.

Well after more than 2 decades of exclusively shooting Nikon I have reluctantly switched to Sony. It's not by choice but rather necessity. I had hoped to forever stay with Nikon - shooting 95% wildlife with an occasional macro shot here and there. But after being told by my local dealer (and several others) that my none of my orders for the 400/600/800, place on the days of announcement, had any chance of arriving until end of 2023 - early 2024. I even called Niko to cancel my Nikon store order - and even they had no eta or shipping info - or - even a guess on when they might catch up with demand. Because I'm retired and officially a geezer, I have come to grips with the fact that I only have so many days of hiking around trails with gear, left in my creaky old joints. Waiting another year was a big factor for me. So, I bit the bullet and thoroughly maxed out the credit card. Sony A1, A7rV, 400f2.8, 600f4, 200-600, 1.4 tele and batteries/cards, etc. At least the sales guy at Hunts photo was happy . It is a sad day however, as I would have loved to stay on Nikon and it would have been great for Nikon to capture the $35k in revenue from me. But, my patience and physical endurance finally ran out. I'll probably keep some/most of my Niko kit - for macro work and other odd photos. I doubt I'll sell many items as you don't get much for used kit - especially DSLRs. I'll likely bundle up lens/body kits as gifts to get family and friends into photography. I gave the D500 and a few DX lenses away so far so, maybe some will grow into Nikon shooters over time.

So, now, the cussing and crying over the learning curve begins! 😂

Next stop - I'm back to a total camera noob - time to follow the link to the store for Steve's Sony e-book? Any other Sony tips on accelerating skills are appreciated...

cheers
Well done mate............. GO Hard...............GO the Max and don't forget to party hard Happy New year

Nikon delays / backlogged orders have a history - almost a tradition - e.g. the F100 and FM3a cameras quite a few years back ;);) More recently - late 2018-2019 - there were acute delays of D850 deliveries and the 500 PF....in N America particularly.

There are countless forum threads on these topics, including global chip shortages - and also reiterating the solutions: order from local brick&mortar stores: and order early even at the faintest whiff of a new Nikon product; this is obviously when one knows this is a priority investment. In October 2021 did this with my local shop for the 800 PF back (also what has become the 400 f4.5S (these pre-orders relied on roadmap schema only).

A friend in UK has Early-Pre-ordered a Z8 (with zilch idea of whatever it really is and even if it's to be christened as such!). And he's already listed in the top 5 at the local store for the 200-600....

Web chatter etc suggests the Z9 backlog has eased greatly over the past month. My $0.02c for those invested in a Nikon F system and aim to expand into Z, is prioritize the Z9, for with a Z9 in hand, it's simple to adapt F-mount telephotos and enjoy the bonuses these combinations bring to one's photography. Nikon will get to shipping the outstanding Z tele's and other productss in a few months.

Despite the delays in new cameras and new lenses, 2022 turned out to be the year of the Z-telephotos; 2023 is looking to be another interesting "Z Year" :) Thom's guess is three new cameras and eight new lenses in 2023... https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/how-did-the-z-system-do-in.html

Personally, my investment in Nikon optics alone makes switching an insane notion, let alone relearning etc and also losing the reliability of high-end Nikon products, including weather-sealing et al outdoors. The light/compact telephotos, and equally the Integral-TC are as unique as they are superb.

Last but not least, living in Africa, repairs etc usually take months and IME my Nikon products have yet to fail (unless damaged by me!)
High Demand coupled with short Supply = steady, increased, premium prices = high margins on low volume items = replacing profit levels on previously higher volume unit sales = restored share holder profits.

For unique quality products waiting lists develop, in this case like the Z lenses, Cars - some brands, like Toyota are 12-18months out WHY ?

Are the reasons for supply shortages the consequence of reality or commercial or strategic design = cost efficiencies on forward orders, we could be guessing for ever.

If the chip shortage is real or as bad as its made out wouldn't you think that after two years some alternative increased chip production capacity would be made somewhere in the world, even by major companies.
Intel demanding to be paid subsidies to move manufacturing back into America, Intel stated if they didn't get paid they would make their electronics elsewhere, either in Asia or Europe, so where is the chip shortage or global chip production capacity issue for Intel.

As its said Nikon has a history of supply issues...........

I cant help but wonder that the issue of tight supply is more by design rather than circumstance, you wouldn't go on year after year after year this way, yet build multi million dollar new head office complex..............and not invest or outsource production capacity, the reason you wouldn't is you have such a massive profit margin making up for massive industry volume loss in unit sales, ie Lower volume higher margin, greater return.
Plus most Nikon owners will wait like they did for the Z9, example most Toyota Buyers will wait for their Toyota, its all a big head spin.

Only an opinion.

Welcome to Sony. I'll echo the recommendations and add one: for birds Steve and Mark Smith. For wildlife Steve. For general camera Mark Galer. And finally, for a book that covers the camera from front to back, every feature Gary Friedman.

Congratulations with your new purchase. I undertook a similar change of brand ending up with 2 Sony a7lV bodies. Great cameras but the Sony menus will take some getting used to especially if you are used to Nikon. In addition the Sony website is useless at best.

Steve's book if I am not mistaken deals with the A1 but not the A5. Luckily I found Mark Galer a Sony ambassador and highly recommend you view his website https://www.markgaler.com/ In addition I joined his Patreon page where you pay monthly and then have access to what you really need. Finally a great travel lens is 24-105 G OSS and the 100-400 G is great as well. Mark Galer has articles on all the lenses and his recommendations.

For me getting older and trying to reduce the load for our African Safaris (hence 2 bodies to reduce the dust problem by NOT having to change lenses) I found the 200-600 to heavy. In addition the general impression about the Sony teleconverter is that one does better cropping images rather than using the teleconverters. One other tip if you use lightroom classic is to do a search on the focal length of lensed used, it give great help to choosing any more.
Good luck and happy shooting

I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't know how many more years these old bones will be around to wait for the gear I'd like to have. I ordered the 800PF the day after it was first mentioned. I was first on the list at my local store. However, since I'm non-NPS, I may have over a year more to wait for it. I would also like the 200-600 but who knows when that will ever be available? I've considered the Sony 200-600 with the Megadap ETZ21 but that hasn't received great reviews.

Being a Luddite, learning a new menu system as a "noob" scares me. I'm having enough trouble trying to remember all I need to operate my Z9. I have too much invested in Nikon and perhaps too much loyalty to make a change. I'll just hope that Nikon comes through with great stuff in 2023. Happy New Year everyone!

While I got A1 plus 200 600 after using Nikon for number of years since Nikon was not coming out with any worthwhile product I have not abandoned Nikon too & got Z9 after FW 2 came out
Now I am sailing two ships & have no issues with it
I am using all my old lenses with Z9 & my wife finds the Z9 with 500 PF very easy to handle
I am hoping Sony will introduce some new telephoto primes similar to 500 PF
Till then no more investments with either

It’s been interesting reading this post. I can empathize with the OP’s dilemma of how long to wait for the equipment they wanted/needed…current supply chain issues and manufacturing delays have hit a lot of companies hard. Having switched systems once, from Canon to Nikon, I don’t know that I’d switch again. I took a beating on the equipment I sold, even though all of it was in pristine condition, and, to be honest, there is so little differentiating the best bodies (and, to a lesser degree, lenses) between Nikon, Canon and Sony that I don’t know if I could realistically justify the switch for myself. I wish you all the best with your new system, I’m sure it will serve you well, and any learning curve may actually end up making you a better photographer. I’ve found that anything that makes me slow down a bit and be intentional as to my choices often times becomes more beneficial than not. I look forward to hearing of your experience in the weeks/months ahead.

We can only guess at what's happening within these complex industries, especially the ICU fab factories with long lags and massive investments. Extremely prone to unforeseen impacts of fires, pandemics etc eg recent holdups in China.

Personally I'm resolved to wait for quality products, especially as these TC- integral telephotos and PhaseFresnel Nikkors are unique. Nikon has always been primarily an optics company and this strength persists. As I continue to rely on DSLRs with a Z9 in tandem, Nikon delivers very well.

Getting the Z9 is the critical step. As one has the FTZ..... And the Z9 supply issues have been largely solved as of December 2022.

High Demand coupled with short Supply = steady, increased, premium prices = high margins on low volume items = replacing profit levels on previously higher volume unit sales = restored share holder profits.

For unique quality products waiting lists develop, in this case like the Z lenses, Cars - some brands, like Toyota are 12-18months out WHY ?

Are the reasons for supply shortages the consequence of reality or commercial or strategic design = cost efficiencies on forward orders, we could be guessing for ever.

If the chip shortage is real or as bad as its made out wouldn't you think that after two years some alternative increased chip production capacity would be made somewhere in the world, even by major companies.
Intel demanding to be paid subsidies to move manufacturing back into America, Intel stated if they didn't get paid they would make their electronics elsewhere, either in Asia or Europe, so where is the chip shortage or global chip production capacity issue for Intel.

As its said Nikon has a history of supply issues...........

I cant help but wonder that the issue of tight supply is more by design rather than circumstance, you wouldn't go on year after year after year this way, yet build multi million dollar new head office complex..............and not invest or outsource production capacity, the reason you wouldn't is you have such a massive profit margin making up for massive industry volume loss in unit sales, ie Lower volume higher margin, greater return.
Plus most Nikon owners will wait like they did for the Z9, example most Toyota Buyers will wait for their Toyota, its all a big head spin.

Only an opinion.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the state of Mirrorless systems in 4 years even 2 years ahead ie by 2024-2025. Presumably, we can rank the current generation of Pro Zed cameras to be 2nd generation, with a 3rd generation in R&D stage.
Judging from the frequency of Z9 firmware updates, we can expect the Deep Learning based Autofocus systems to have been advanced and consolidated; and Haptics and Menu systems refined.
As importantly, each brand will have filled out its dedicated lens system. The optics are the crux. Cameras come and go in comparison. The adage holds firm - Date the Bodies, Marry the Glass

Last edited:
Back