Sad day - new beginning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Congratulations to the OP, that sounds like a fantastic kit. I have not heard a negative word spoken about the A1 and the lenses purchased and am sure they will perform flawlessly. Realistically it will take 12-24 months to accumulate the equivalent Nikon kit so the decision to switch makes great sense.
For those not looking for such a comprehensive kit, the Z9, 400/4.5 and 1.4x is readily available in most places and makes for a delightfully light and agile kit which covers many shooting scenarios while waiting for the 800pf to arrive and for one's finances to recover.😊

It will be interesting to see the state of Mirrorless systems in 4 years even 2 years ahead ie by 2024-2025. Presumably the current generation of Pro cameras will be 2nd generation, with a 3rd generation in R&D stage.
Judging from the frequency of Z9 firmware updates, we can expect the Deep Learning based Autofocus systems to have been advanced and consolidated; and Haptics and Menu systems refined.
As importantly, each brand will have filled out its dedicated lens system. The optics are the crux. Cameras come and go in comparison. The adage holds firm - Date the Bodies, Marry the Glass
Date the Bodies, Marry the Glass ..............Love the way you put it.

Yes image file quality and glass has been the back bone for me, i use the D850 and the Z9.

Why did i get the Z9..........

1) sensor has VR that can benefit my collection of the FX glass.
2) tilt screen for water level in rapids or other low ground level shots.
3) silent shutter.
4) endless shutter use, unlike the limitations of DSLRS.
5) optional frame rate and focus acquisition speed.
6) all stacked into a 46 mp sensor similar to but not ultimately as brilliant as the D850 LOL.
7) two card slots the same.
8) i can use FX or Z glass.
9) i can use my D4s D5 D6 batteries as well.
10) basically its a D850 on steroids.
The tracking is a nice option but not the deal maker for me, i would have bought it anyway for the other reasons.

What i don't like about the Z9

1) prematurely released as unripened fruit, i believe after 12 months its ripened somewhat and improved.
2) size and weight
3) can be very complicated to use to its potential.
4) menu system used to be easy simple and now to deep and complicated for someone like myself.
5) the focusing system, unless vastly improved in the 3.01 update i find it can be a hit and miss, but that's also possibly partly in play due to my struggling a little with the steepish learning curve.
6) i wish they would introduce the group focusing like in DSLRS
7) i wish it was a little friendlier to use, but from what i hear that's mirror less regardless of brand.

Finally i feel the Z9 is great, i am intrigued as to what the Z8 will be or bring.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Date the Bodies, Marry the Glass ..............Love the way you put it.

Yes image file quality and glass has been the back bone for me, i use the D850 and the Z9.

Why did i get the Z9..........

1) sensor has VR that can benefit my collection of the FX glass.
2) tilt screen for water level in rapids or other low ground level shots.
3) silent shutter.
4) endless shutter use, unlike the limitations of DSLRS.
5) optional frame rate and focus acquisition speed.
6) all stacked into a 46 mp sensor similar to but not ultimately as brilliant as the D850 LOL.
7) two card slots the same.
8) i can use FX or Z glass.
9) i can use my D4s D5 D6 batteries as well.
10) basically its a D850 on steroids.
More and more, I detect the D6 and Z9 share a great deal of secret-sauce, as much as this is possible across their distinctly different bauplan.

The tracking is a nice option but not the deal maker for me, i would have bought it anyway for the other reasons.

What i don't like about the Z9

1) prematurely released as unripened fruit, i believe after 12 months its ripened somewhat and improved.
Agreed that the camera released in December 2021 is distinctly different from a Z9 running on the firmware of late April, August, or November 2022.
To add all along, the majority of award winning features have been part of the Z9, since the day it launched, 4 5 examples include the Electronic shutter; rapid frame rates, high quality HE*RAW, the unique Sensor Shield, the superb EVF, and deep-learning based AF.

In & amongst these changes/additions, I suspect there's been a fairly long learning curve for many Z9 owners; this is true for me certainly, as I enjoy experimenting with alternative settings/tweaks. So it is hard to separate these two factors. Bottom line IME my hand muscles struggle to remember the simplest in new reflex actions!

2) size and weight
It's a Pro Nikon ILC so it has similar Al-Mg chassis etc as in the D5, D6 and a gripped D850. I would much rather have the in built cooling heatsink and weatherproofing of the Z9 than any of the slightest compromise on these features.
3) can be very complicated to use to its potential.
For those who upgraded from the earlier Nikon ILCs, we probably have evolved with the incremental changes, and so there were no big leaps with retooling. Fundamentally the DSLRs are nonetheless relatively simple to use. The hybrid focusing of the D5 Triumvirate extended the AF modes to multiple options on the go i.e. using AFMode+AFON and similar custom functions. Most of us probably rely on 2-3 AF Modes with a DSLR such as the D850, however; and the standard solution to tricky subjects was toggling between Single-Point and a wider coverage dynamic mode or Group, or perhaps AutoAF.

Besides the excellent Recall Shooting Functions in both D6 and Z9, the D6 is the first DSLR in which I often use 3D mode (as on the Z9), as the D6 Eye & Face recognition works across many species, even some birds surprisingly. So in this case, 10 months with the Z9 has lead me to reconsider and modify how I have grown to setup and shoot the D6!

The Z9 runs a lap ahead of the D6 (and 2 or more laps in front of the D5, D850) with its Subject-Recognition, especially thanks to the robust eye-detect software. This leap forward seems to be a common strength of the flagship MILCs, including the new Fuji APC Pro MILC. Being cast in AI software, we can expect the designers will continue to improve these incrementally ie Firmware patches/updates in respective camera systems. At least for Nikon, the next big leap likely lies in the new advances in R&D that will be enabled with new hardware (stacked sensors, with fully electronic shutters + EXPEED8 etc]

Overall, I've found learning and fine-tuning the Z9 to have been stimulating and it's a most rewarding imaging instrument. As with the overlaps in added firmware features and the new & diversified Menus and AF system in the Z9, the new Z Nikkors have also had a major impact on my photography. In particular, I suggest 2022 will "...be remembered - among the wildlife lens geeks at least - as the year of the 'Democratization of the 800 Prime'..."

4) menu system used to be easy simple and now to deep and complicated for someone like myself.
Added functionality demands more interfaces, with deeper menu dives. The increased options have improved the Z9 customization options compared to the DSLRs - much improved in my experience, which is distinctly parochial and centred mostly on the AF. I don't use networking, video nor flash....

5) the focusing system, unless vastly improved in the 3.01 update i find it can be a hit and miss, but that's also possibly partly in play due to my struggling a little with the steepish learning curve.
6) i wish they would introduce the group focusing like in DSLRS
I find the Custom Area AF modes - one of Nikon's great ideas - are very similar in use across the Z9 and D6, and I no longer use the D5 - D850 style Group AF mode in the D6. However, when turned ON, the Z9 AI software dominates the CA modes, which is a major advantage over the DSLRs (and other Zeds, IME). In fact CA1*1 is a force to be reckoned with photographing wildlife. Saying farewell to AFFT is another huge positive of MILC AF, especially with fickle zooms and/or TC combo's.

EDIT: no ways do I find Z9 AF hit & miss. On the contrary for wildlife subjects. Hybrid focusing works very well, interleaving the key AFmodes (usually CA1*1 or Single-Point with 3D and/or Auto etc) and leveraging Recall Focus Distance(s). The big challenge is training muscle memory. True a D6 is impossible to beat in dense clutter at a fleeting subject e.g. a warbler hopping and hiding in the reeds, but with the right technique I've proved the Z9 delivers and with much higher hit rate in sharp images. Obviously, silent shooting is yet another unique MILC feature with a Z9 for wildlife.

7) i wish it was a little friendlier to use, but from what i hear that's mirror less regardless of brand.
According to the consensus from much discussion on this, again one factor is the sensor based AF in MILCs with its propensity to grab backgrounds [the common solution is leveraging Recall Focus Distance(s) ], which is a major reason for Hybrid-focusing.

OTTH it's clear MILC architecture is opening up more and more interfaces and features eg video, which all builds up the diversity of operations/settings that are now made possible. More challenging to learn but no free lunches here, as everywhere. The spin off of MILC is there's more options and more to learn etc. We have yet to see where and how Nikon engineers build on the scope enabled with 'just' an electronic shutter in future cameras.

Finally i feel the Z9 is great, i am intrigued as to what the Z8 will be or bring.

Only an opinion
My responses are a summary of empirical experience and much reading of the industry literature, as reliably as I can ascertain, recall the above.

Last edited:

fcotterill​

I am blown away with the effort you have made to respond, i sense your enjoyment to do so, its very informative, encouraging, enlightening, above all done with respect.
I will copy this and read it from time to time.

May i ask what was your technique..................re

"True a D6 is impossible to beat in dense clutter at a fleeting subject, with the right technique I've proved the Z9 delivers and with much higher hit rate in sharp images"

There's nothing exotic about my technique, which is widely used I suspect.
For a tiny bird hopping and flitting within a reedbed, I prefocus within the subject range, and follow the bird waiting for it to perch where I have a clear line through the vegetation. Often he's looking the wrong way, but keeping CA1*1 on the head, waiting until an eye is visible. This is where the Z9 grabs sharp focus automatically. However I've found sharp focus with the D6 is also uncanny, and also CA3*3 AF mode or single point sometimes.
Refocus set on the lensFn is often essential with the Z9, but the D6 has more of an advantage with Close Focus Priority.
These birds in reedbeds are often Palearctic warblers, and are tricky subjects to get a decent image.

fcotterill​

I am blown away with the effort you have made to respond, i sense your enjoyment to do so, its very informative, encouraging, enlightening, above all done with respect.
I will copy this and read it from time to time.

May i ask what was your technique..................re

"True a D6 is impossible to beat in dense clutter at a fleeting subject, with the right technique I've proved the Z9 delivers and with much higher hit rate in sharp images"

Congratulations to the OP, that sounds like a fantastic kit. I have not heard a negative word spoken about the A1 and the lenses purchased and am sure they will perform flawlessly. Realistically it will take 12-24 months to accumulate the equivalent Nikon kit so the decision to switch makes great sense.
For those not looking for such a comprehensive kit, the Z9, 400/4.5 and 1.4x is readily available in most places and makes for a delightfully light and agile kit which covers many shooting scenarios while waiting for the 800pf to arrive and for one's finances to recover.😊
And adding the 2.0TC to the 400mm f/4.5 gets one to 800mm with a light weight setup that is okay if there is sufficient light:
[ ]

Looking at the OPs post history the main reason to register was to voice the dissatisfaction with Nikon. Hopefully the grass greener elsewhere. Good luck. :)

Ps. In the grand scheme of things the truth is that nobody cares what gear you use - it's the results that matter.
I can see how you might think that and feel it necessary to post an insulting claim - but you are wrong. the posts you cite - comprise the roadmap of a frustrated Nikon shooter - reaching the end of the trail. all are replies, save this post and are based on facts. i was starting to feel like i did while waiting forever to buy the D850. i just felt this was an important cross roads for me - and it turns out I was not alone - and - I was never happy to leave Nikon. note i don't think i initiated any if any dissatisfying posts - they were replies - "yea i feel that way too." misery loves company i guess. i loved all my Nikon gear - even and especially the dinosaur D6. i just gave up on them, for logical reasons i made clear. in the future, i'd kindly appreciate it if you could ask clarifying questions instead of making declarative accusations. i registered like everyone here - to read the wonderful content - and share the ups and downs of buy and using photo gear. saying that's not the case is really insulting.

As someone who made the switch as well, my only advice is that you will need to spend another $25. Just buy Steve's ebook on setting up the A1 and it will accelerate the learning curve by months. His set-up is intuitive and it works. And if you are like me, you'll find that Steve's set-up enables a few things that are not easy to do on a Nikon body and make life much easier.
good advice - thanks - bought the ebook and so far it's great as are the others i've bought for Nikon. it's also much more in depth than i thought - i gues in part due to the complexity of the Sony menus and feature set.

I can see how you might think that and feel it necessary to post an insulting claim - but you are wrong. the posts you cite - comprise the roadmap of a frustrated Nikon shooter - reaching the end of the trail. all are replies, save this post and are based on facts. i was starting to feel like i did while waiting forever to buy the D850. i just felt this was an important cross roads for me - and it turns out I was not alone - and - I was never happy to leave Nikon. note i don't think i initiated any if any dissatisfying posts - they were replies - "yea i feel that way too." misery loves company i guess. i loved all my Nikon gear - even and especially the dinosaur D6. i just gave up on them, for logical reasons i made clear. in the future, i'd kindly appreciate it if you could ask clarifying questions instead of making declarative accusations. i registered like everyone here - to read the wonderful content - and share the ups and downs of buy and using photo gear. saying that's not the case is really insulting.

Sorry - I must have misread your previous posts where you discouraged others from buying a Z9 or wanted to hire Steve to advise you on switching to Sony. Mixed in with complaints about waiting for Nikon due to supply issues and nikon 'refusing' to ramp up the production. I don't see a lot of other contributions from you on this forum but maybe I'm mistaken so sorry for insulting you.

Either way - I'm yet to see a system switcher that dropped $20-30K on a new gear to admit it was a decision that wasn't the best (confirmation bias is a wonderful thing). If you read some other replies - you could have easily bought a Z9 and 400 4.5 and use your current F-mount lenses while waiting for Nikon glass. But it's your credit cards, not mine. :)

Nikon emailed me yesterday, saying they have plenty of Z9 units sitting on the shelf in stock, available for immediate delivery, happy ordering.

PS, getting a Z9 has been easy and plenty full already for the last 4 months anyway, at least here in OZ if you go to the right places and dont wait till your number comes up on a list.

We are starting to see even prices coming down slightly now for the past month or so.

I feel later 2023 we may see the Z9 S or Z9 II out, i am guessing at sometime soon Sony with their A1 II, Canon may put out their R1 very soon as well, will ?? Nikon then be 12 months behind again LOL.

Only an opinion

And adding the 2.0TC to the 400mm f/4.5 gets one to 800mm with a light weight setup that is okay if there is sufficient light:
[ ]
WOW thats not bad, well done 800mm

In good light coming from behind me doing surfing photography i find my 200-500 is excellent, and if ever needed with a 1.4 III TC works very well, its only 700mm and if the subject is even closer it works even better LOL.

2xTC looks ok but the focus is very very slow, not ideal.

My 300 2.8 VR II is perfect with a 1.4 TCIII on any body makes it a F4, and excellent with a 2xIII TC making it a F5.6 especially when on most cameras but the Z9, D6, D4s, are a cut above, yes don't laugh even the DF being only 16mp does amazingly well, of course the DF doesn't focus like the others LOL.

I am waiting for the dust to settle, like to grab a 500 PF really cheap for travel as its backwards compatible.

Looking for a 600 F4 FL cheap, its light, long and with a TC 1.4 III is 840mm F5.6 and sharp as with very little demand on ISO, there around but don't last long, once the new Z glass comes out the used market will be a great fishing spot LOL.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Sorry - I must have misread your previous posts where you discouraged others from buying a Z9 or wanted to hire Steve to advise you on switching to Sony. Mixed in with complaints about waiting for Nikon due to supply issues and nikon 'refusing' to ramp up the production. I don't see a lot of other contributions from you on this forum but maybe I'm mistaken so sorry for insulting you.

Either way - I'm yet to see a system switcher that dropped $20-30K on a new gear to admit it was a decision that wasn't the best (confirmation bias is a wonderful thing). If you read some other replies - you could have easily bought a Z9 and 400 4.5 and use your current F-mount lenses while waiting for Nikon glass. But it's your credit cards, not mine. :)
i have the Z9 in addition to a Z7 Z7ii and most every DSLR they made over time. i paired the Z9 with my 500f4 - but it had issues (like VR motors running constantly) - which i think is a legitimate concern but you might think its complaining. it also weighs 10 lbs 4 oz. weight is huge for me as i'm old. the sony a1/600 is 2 lbs lighter. doesnt seem like much but it is after a while, for me at least. please dont confuse nikon bashing - with nikon disappointment. when i got the Z9 i thought - ok i'm set, they'll have the big glass out in a reasonable time and i'm good to go. but that's when they waiting started. so - my comment about them announcing glass but not spending the money to produce them quickly - was disappointment. so my opinion on not getting a Z9 (again as an owner of one) was based on big glass availability. and i was struggling with the decision - so i did reach out to people i respected for advice on what was for me a huge decision. btw - did you find any complaints that weren't factual? the 400 4.5 is nice but not adequate for my needs. i bought the 100-400 thinking along the lines you presented - and it was a mistake. yes -CB is real - but the decision was the best decision given the availability - if nikon had increased investment in production of big glass - this would have never happened. you view seems to be - just keep waiting - that's easy to say when you're what ~30 years old...and - i had pre-orders in for all of it. anyway - i can see we have separate views - thank you for listening.

i have the Z9 in addition to a Z7 Z7ii and most every DSLR they made over time. i paired the Z9 with my 500f4 - but it had issues (like VR motors running constantly) - which i think is a legitimate concern but you might think its complaining. it also weighs 10 lbs 4 oz. weight is huge for me as i'm old. the sony a1/600 is 2 lbs lighter. doesnt seem like much but it is after a while, for me at least. please dont confuse nikon bashing - with nikon disappointment. when i got the Z9 i thought - ok i'm set, they'll have the big glass out in a reasonable time and i'm good to go. but that's when they waiting started. so - my comment about them announcing glass but not spending the money to produce them quickly - was disappointment. so my opinion on not getting a Z9 (again as an owner of one) was based on big glass availability. and i was struggling with the decision - so i did reach out to people i respected for advice on what was for me a huge decision. btw - did you find any complaints that weren't factual? the 400 4.5 is nice but not adequate for my needs. i bought the 100-400 thinking along the lines you presented - and it was a mistake. yes -CB is real - but the decision was the best decision given the availability - if nikon had increased investment in production of big glass - this would have never happened. you view seems to be - just keep waiting - that's easy to say when you're what ~30 years old...and - i had pre-orders in for all of it. anyway - i can see we have separate views - thank you for listening.
Mate your perfectly correct, absolutely doing/done the logical and right thing, i mean if i was in the market for some larger lenses like you i wouldn't be waiting at all, i would be switching in a heartbeat.

Its about you and what you want and need, loyalty means absolutely nothing to companies, period.
The most valuable currency in the world is not the $ its Time, we spend it every second of the day.

You come first second and third, and if anything is there after that's to bad to sad, you come first again LOL.

Switching is the best thing to do and get into it mate, after all the gear frankly is 95% all the same, you make the difference 98% of the time.

So in no way justify your actions, and if anyone says differently, just ignore them.

Sony gear is excellent, as is Canon, as is Nikon, and i am a Nikon user by the way.

Your defiantly not bashing Nikon, your position is your not prepared to wait such ridiculously long times nor should you waste any time, nor would I, and many of our well healed camera club members have done exactly what you have done and they haven't looked back. They didn't wait for a Z9 or glass they just went Sony in a week, Bazinga, then sold all their Nikon gear over time. They are all that good with photography and editing and winning international competitions from making photos traveling the world, they say that it doesn't matter if its Canon Sony or Nikon...........they get perfect results with what ever they use.

Nikon or any large company doesn't care about people switching, they see switching as a little collateral damage easily tolerable compared to the massive super high margins and profits they have with such pricing levels.

Companies know we are really a captive market, who will nearly always pay what ever is being asked and wait painterly for delivery.

Manufacturing around the world has and is changing, but that's a long story.

A lot of long leed times along with limited production supply chain issues is, not entirely, but largely being exploited with BS.

As my girlfriend always says, if you don't like the restaurant or what your being offered "Talk with your feet".

Sorry i don't cop the ridiculous delays or limits in production from any brand or product.

The Camera companies can do it right and better, they choose not to.

These lenses and cameras have been in the design pipeline for several years, they also know by examples of the past we consumers will all wait as usual and pay what ever is asked.

If its on the shelf people wont be jumping at the chance to get one, make it hard to get with a long leed time, people rush for fear of missing out, tight supply supports pricing increases demand and gives people time to save money to buy at extortionate prices, i mean with designs now lenses should be cheaper not dearer LOL.

Companies taking long orders basically also benefit from cashing out the global distribution pipeline inventory if you understand what i mean, that's so profitable/cost effective for them, as well as avoiding redundancy issues, its a just in time supply system.

I am not bashing a brand, i am simply referring to a situation that we don't deserve, launch dates announced then super long delivery times.

Congratulations on your new gear enjoy it, go hard mate.

Focus on the journey of photography.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I think we all get the frustration expressed by the poster. It's not only Nikon as we've discussed so often elsewhere - all industries are suffering fro the general lack of components blah blah
How we handle it is our personal choice and we shouldn't;t regard a change always as a bad thing, nor a brand bashing. Here's case of buying what's currently available and for persona reasons.
think this thread has reached its usefulness. This is after all a forum for showing off our photos etc and not sharing frustrations and complaints - as there's always two sides and you can read how some get personal.

Mate your perfectly correct, absolutely doing/done the logical and right thing, i mean if i was in the market for some larger lenses like you i wouldn't be waiting at all, i would be switching in a heartbeat.

Its about you and what you want and need, loyalty means absolutely nothing to companies, period.
The most valuable currency in the world is not the $ its Time, we spend it every second of the day.

You come first second and third, and if anything is there after that's to bad to sad, you come first again LOL.

Switching is the best thing to do and get into it mate, after all the gear frankly is 95% all the same, you make the difference 98% of the time.

So in no way justify your actions, and if anyone says differently, just ignore them.

Sony gear is excellent, as is Canon, as is Nikon, and i am a Nikon user by the way.

Your defiantly not bashing Nikon, your position is your not prepared to wait such ridiculously long times nor should you waste any time, nor would I, and many of our well healed camera club members have done exactly what you have done and they haven't looked back. They didn't wait for a Z9 or glass they just went Sony in a week, Bazinga, then sold all their Nikon gear over time. They are all that good with photography and editing and winning international competitions from making photos traveling the world, they say that it doesn't matter if its Canon Sony or Nikon...........they get perfect results with what ever they use.

Nikon or any large company doesn't care about people switching, they see switching as a little collateral damage easily tolerable compared to the massive super high margins and profits they have with such pricing levels.

Companies know we are really a captive market, who will nearly always pay what ever is being asked and wait painterly for delivery.

Manufacturing around the world has and is is changing, but that's a long story.

A lot of long leed times along with limited production supply chain issues is, not entirely, but largely being exploited with BS.

As my girlfriend always says, if you don't like the restaurant or what your being offered "Talk with your feet".

Sorry i don't cop the ridiculous delays or limits in production from any brand or product.

The Camera companies can do it right and better, they choose not to.

These lenses and cameras have been in the design pipeline for several years, they also know by examples of the past we consumers will all wait as usual and pay what ever is asked.

If its on the shelf people wont be jumping at the chance to get one, make it hard to get with a long leed time, people rush for fear of missing out, tight supply supports pricing increases demand and gives people time to save money to buy at extortionate prices, i mean with designs now lens should be cheaper not dearer LOL.

Companies taking long orders basically also benefit from cashing out the global distribution pipeline inventory if you understand what i mean, that's so profitable/cost effective for them, as well as avoiding redundancy issues, its a just in time supply system.

I am not bashing a brand, i am simply referring to a situation that we don't deserve, launch dates announced then super long delivery times.

Congratulations on your new gear enjoy it, go hard mate.

Focus on the journey of photography.

Only an opinion
thank you

I think we all get the frustration expressed by the poster. It's not only Nikon as we've discussed so often elsewhere - all industries are suffering fro the general lack of components blah blah
How we handle it is our personal choice and we shouldn't;t regard a change always as a bad thing, nor a brand bashing. Here's case of buying what's currently available and for persona reasons.
think this thread has reached its usefulness. This is after all a forum for showing off our photos etc and not sharing frustrations and complaints - as there's always two sides and you can read how some get personal.
thanks - agreed - i'll take the positive encouragement to focus on pictures moving ahead!

There is another way to look at your dilemma. As we get older (and I certainly qualify ) stimulating the brain is a good thing. So the challenge of learning a new camera system should be seen as beneficial as well as exciting! When I switched from a large Nikon DSLR kit to Sony, cold turkey like you, it was a great adventure. And, I have never looked back. If the A1 and A7R5 are your first foray into mirrorless systems you will not be disappointed. The lenses you have chosen will not let you down.
The A1 is a beautiful instrument that you can program to your every need and I'm sure will bring you lots of photographic joy. Happy New Year!
thanks - yes - i too thought the new technology might be a good challenge.

Welcome to Sony. I'll echo the recommendations and add one: for birds Steve and Mark Smith. For wildlife Steve. For general camera Mark Galer. And finally, for a book that covers the camera from front to back, every feature Gary Friedman.
thats interesting - i took your advice and set up one camera with steve's config and the other with mark's. and i bought steve's book. i've landed on a hybrid of the two configs - with the autofocus select/buttons from Mark and the rest basically steve's. i'm missing lots of shots fumbling around - but i think another few weeks and i'll have the ergo's memorized. i also watched a bunch of mark galers videos - man what a library of content and details!

While I got A1 plus 200 600 after using Nikon for number of years since Nikon was not coming out with any worthwhile product I have not abandoned Nikon too & got Z9 after FW 2 came out
Now I am sailing two ships & have no issues with it
I am using all my old lenses with Z9 & my wife finds the Z9 with 500 PF very easy to handle
I am hoping Sony will introduce some new telephoto primes similar to 500 PF
Till then no more investments with either
thanks makes sense. ahh Bangalore - my company's software development team was located there - from my just retired job. a very amazing technology center!

Smart move overall given your position. Going from Nikon DSLR cameras and lenses the cost to go to Sony or Canon or Olympus was not the key consideration. As a NPS member I was able to get an early shipment of the Z9, 100-400mm, 800mm PF, and 400mm f/4.5, and a second Z9 camera.

Take the Z9 out of the equation and I would have gone to Sony although I would have paid $2400 more for two A1 cameras. With Sony I am more attracted to the A7R IIIA with the lower pixel count sensor. The primary drawback with Sony is when shooting macro.

If the stigma of using a MFT camera was not present where bigger is automatically better, more people would be giving the Olympus camera and lenses a try and be very happy with the results while saving many thousands of dollars.

We sleep 8 hours a night, we work on average 8 hours a day, we travel to and from work 45min to an hour, in cases each way, we spend one an half hours eating a day, another half hour showering, we then do essential chores for another 1 hour a day, so what do you have left in a day, 3 hours a day, or a total of 21 hours per week so far............

Enjoy your self...each day time is the true cost.

Only an opinion

"Live each day as if it was your last, for some day you will be right." We have just so many days on this earth and we never know which will be our last. I've already died once, 14 years ago, fortunately it wasn't permanent but did make me realize how tenuous life is. I switched from Canon to Olympus when I retired and the weight and cost of new Canon gear were just too much. Most of my Olympus gear was bought used and the total cost was less than the cost of a Canon R6 body.

Last edited:
"Live each day as if it was your last, for some day you will be right." We have just so many days on this earth and we never know which will be our last. I've already died one, 14 years ago, fortunately it wasn't permanent but did make me realize how tenuous life is. I switched from Canon to Olympus when I retired and the weight and cost of new Canon gear were just too much. Most of my Olympus gear was bought used and the total cost was less than the cost of a Canon R6 body.
WOW !!!!

Yes tools are tools, we often forget that.
I feel the call was a few years ago by everyone that they wanted smaller lighter more user friendly gear, i think Nikon came to the table with the smaller lighter especially in lenses.

The Fresnel element thing correct me if i am wrong i thought Canon years ago did some lenses like that ????

Nikon's efforts are proving to be a great success it seems.

I just did a 4 day trip into back country regional distract 98% of what i took images of was with my Phone LOL.
The camera bag didn't get opened once. I did mostly landscape and scenic shots no wild life.
The trip was the highlight and very enjoyable, my girlfriend wants to do one every month at a minimum.
I am leaning towards light and small in my travel thinking, for the annual Rodeo soon yes it will be the D850 300-F2.8 with the Z9 relegated to standby on the 70-200 FL, however shooting into the night i miss the D6.

Never the less it will be a brilliant day and night event spread over 3 days.

Agree live every day to the max, we spend the last 5-10 years nursing age and health issues.

Only an opinion.

thank you - you are right - i should have sought advice and posted PRIOR to buying the gear. the overlap is the issue and only the form factor (smaller) decides when it is used...

Bobo, I have both the 100-400mm G master & 200-600mm G lens since the day one. Here are some of my thoughts:

a) The 100-400mm is a G M lens, the image quality is sharp, there is a reason Sony put red "G" on the lens; in addition of wild life & birding, I use this lens extensively for indoor events, landscape photography, field macro.

b) The 200-600mm is the best bang for buck super tele zoom lens for the FE mount. I love the half turn full zoom range, if I go to our local park or wild life refuge or nature reserves, this is my go-to lens. Compare to the Sigma 150-600mm, the image quality is fairly even at 600mm end. But I wouldn't put any TC onto it.

Congratulations on the new gear, have fun & live life to the fullest.

Oliver

Back