Some Love for the Little Guys - Share your Songbird/Warblers/Wrens....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

House Sparrows aren't my favorite subjects but when I looked out the kitchen window to see this guy perched on the crabapple tree with autumn colors I figured I'd better try for the shot.

Nikon D850, 500mm PF @f/5.6, 1/1250", ISO 5000
850_7188-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I came across these Horned Larks by the side of a dirt road early one morning as I was out scouting Sage Grouse leks. There a couple of dozen of these guys hopping around the brush and hanging out by the roadside.

I am envious of these shots. These guys are so hard to get a good low perspective of. When I do get down with them (laying on my belly) there is usually grass/twigs in the way.

This Welcome Swallow (Hirundo neoxena) around 150mm was one of pair that I saw getting nesting materials and entering a drain under a road.

WS_231020_1_bcg_result.jpg

This may be the other one(?) with nesting material in its mouth.

WS_231020_4_BCG.jpg

No denoise for either photo, not available at this time.

Last edited:
@soundbyte have you ever managed to get a BIF of these little fellows. I used to get lots of opportunity to try but never succeeded. :cry:
No, not as yet, these two are regularly coming into and out of the drain so one would think it is a golden opportunity, BUT I am not likely to be going back there this trip.
Another time if I can find a similar location and even then they are a nightmare to try to follow in the air!
My BIF skills are sadly lacking, much more practice needed.

Lot's of great threads on Hawks, Owls,Eagles and the big guys but if you're like me you have plenty of file images of small birds like: finches, sparrows, wrens, warblers, flycatchers and the like. Thought it might be nice to start an ongoing thread for sharing photos of the little guys.

Here's a House Wren that I didn't expect. I was shooting Cedar Waxwings and a King Fisher from a blind along a small stream when this guy jumped up on a nice perch in decent light.

Nikon D850, 600mm + TC-14 iii, @f/5.6, 1/1000". ISO 320

View attachment 3438

Anyone else want to share images of songbirds and the like?
Super.

Was working a bull moose up along a river this evening when this Mountain Bluebird flew down on the riverbed gravel right in front of me. I liked the way he looked against the river pebbles in the evening light all fluffed up against the chilly breeze.

Nikon D5, 600mm f/4, 1/1000", ISO 500
D51_2986-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Woke up to snow this morning and was pouring a cup of coffee when I noticed this small bird I didn't recognize out of the kitchen window. Spent some time with online guides and birding books but I'd guess it's a Green-Tailed Towhee based on the greenish yellow back, facial markings and crown. First of these I've seen and photographed.

D5, 500mm PF, f/5.6, 1/500", ISO 5600
850_8133-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
Woke up to snow this morning and was pouring a cup of coffee when I noticed this small bird I didn't recognize out of the kitchen window. Spent some time with online guides and birding books but I'd guess it's a Green-Tailed Towhee based on the greenish yellow back, facial markings and crown. If so, first of these I've seen and photographed.

D5, 500mm PF, f/5.6, 1/500", ISO 5600
View attachment 8356
A real beauty! Congrats

Very nice! Looks more like a Fox sparrow?
After taking a close look at the two I really cant be sure given they are so similar. However it does look like the fox sparrow may have more yellow in its beak. I have to admit I originally just plugged it into the Merlin Bird ID app so I'm definitely no expert!

Back