Some Love for the Little Guys - Share your Songbird/Warblers/Wrens....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After taking a close look at the two I really cant be sure given they are so similar. However it does look like the fox sparrow may have more yellow in its beak. I have to admit I originally just plugged it into the Merlin Bird ID app so I'm definitely no expert!
For sure, it's not easy to make the distinction; effectively, the beak color is more grayish; on the ground, fox sparrow is larger and more robust, but difficult to make a comparison when the bird is alone.

Have been going through my image library culling a lot of older images and tagging some I forgot about. Here's one of the latter, a Painted Bunting from down in South Texas.

Nikon D2X, 200-400mm f/4 @380mm, f/7.1, 1/250", ISO 100, SB-800 fill flash at -1 stop
dBXPBn0042-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

We heard the voice of this Carolina wren long before we saw it. It was frigid cold this particular morning and with the sun coming from behind its breath became rainbows. Each breath produced little puffs of steam. My wife was about 30 feet to my left and had a much better angle. These are the best ones I could capture.
_4JS8393.jpg
_4JS8372.jpg

Nile Sunbirds - These are from prior years but I just saw the first one of this season yesterday. Looking forward to new shots on my patio garden.
Male - Nikon D750, 200-500mm f/5.6 w/ TC14EIII at 550mm, 1/200sec, f/8, ISO 200
NileSunbirds.jpg

Female - Nikon D3500, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 @300mm, 1/125sec. f/5.6, ISO 1600

NileSunbirds-2.jpg

Last edited:
We heard the voice of this Carolina wren long before we saw it. It was frigid cold this particular morning and with the sun coming from behind its breath became rainbows. Each breath produced little puffs of steam. My wife was about 30 feet to my left and had a much better angle. These are the best ones I could capture.View attachment 8650View attachment 8651
That's wonderful nature for you, and great images

I shot these on Memorial Day weekend. The first is my patriotic blue bird that took over our bird house this spring...the other was a bright and colorful house finch, if I'm correct, checking out the local watering hole!

Nikon D500
Nikkor 200-500mm @ f/5.6
may262020_femaleamericanbluebird1_web_3739.jpg
may262020_housefinch1_web_3735.jpg

Nice, I would say song sparrow.
After more research and looking at some photos, including one I took two years ago of a fox sparrow, I agree with you and Forest B; on this photo of the Fox Sparrow, we see a characteristic of this species, it's breast streaks which are more arrow-like...

D500 + 300 PF + flash @ 1/400, f/4.5, ISO 640

_CS09773-Modifier.jpg

Back