Sony a1 2.0 firmware finally out

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It’s worded strangely, but these are additions to this update from what I’m understanding
There're 2 files in the zip:
- Current version installed on your A1 to 1.35
- 1.35 to 2.0

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 12.59.40.png

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 12.55.20.png

Hmm I can see it both ways. To me it seems like it's saying, "these were previous firmware update notes that are also included in this update" rather than completely new, but with how it's worded it could be either. I'm not familiar enough with the old notes to know if they repeated or not.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty sure these are old updates, given the last line is "
  • Improves the operational stability of the camera when using Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote) or Imaging Edge Mobile

Which is no longer used with this update (It's replaced by Creators App).

Hmm I can see it both ways. To me it seems like it's saying, "these were previous firmware update notes that are also included in this update" rather than completely new, but with how it's worded it could be either. I'm not familiar enough with the old notes to know if they repeated or not.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty sure these are old updates, given the last line is "
  • Improves the operational stability of the camera when using Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote) or Imaging Edge Mobile

Which is no longer used with this update (It's replaced by Creators App).
I agree, usually wording "Previous Benefits and Improvements" is used for actual previous version, not for the new one.

Yeah, the wording is clear as mud to me because it seems to me like there are some auto focus improvements being added. I don’t even understand why they would be a need to put something from my previous version listed in this update other than to confuse people I suppose.

Don't forget that you can save almost all parameters using "Setup / Reset/Save Settings / Save/Load Settings". Card needed of course in the A1.
Apart from a few minor parameters (Copyright for example), this is a very useful way to backup / restore / transfer all settings from an A1 at once.

You can save 1, 2 and 3 memories parameters as well.
No Sony specifically says you can’t do that on this firmware update.

I’m hoping this will change the user interface to match the new menu interface the same as my A7RV it does state something about user interface changes, and I really like the layout on the newer camera

Do not rush with judgement. It seems like there are hidden features baked into this update. On Fred Miranda someone already reporter that there is a new function on a1 to set 5 preprogrammed focus distances in camera. Awesome !

Maybe there are more hidden features.

For dual ois - only few G2 lenses and 300f28 are supported. So no 200-600.
Actually Sony website lists the 200-600 as compatible but NOT the 600f:4 :eek:

I was quite excited about the IS improvement until I realized it doesn't work with my main lens (600 f:4) but at least it will help with the 100-400 and 200-600 which are my walk-around lenses.

let's see how the eye-AF improvements impact performance. Sony tends to downplay the changes they make there so hopefully we'll see more sticky AF than in the latest firmware versions.

I really wished they had implemented focus stacking and some level of pre-capture. And the FPS boost function would have been nice if we could have mapped it to the lens button...

Overall, not blown away but I realize they focused on the functionalities pros need for the olympics rather than wildlife photographer desires...

I was quite excited about the IS improvement until I realized it doesn't work with my main lens (600 f:4) but at least it will help with the 100-400 and 200-600 which are my walk-around lenses.

let's see how the eye-AF improvements impact performance. Sony tends to downplay the changes they make there so hopefully we'll see more sticky AF than in the latest firmware versions.

I really wished they had implemented focus stacking and some level of pre-capture. And the FPS boost function would have been nice if we could have mapped it to the lens button...

Overall, not blown away but I realize they focused on the functionalities pros need for the olympics rather than wildlife photographer desires...
Yeah, focus stacking is something I really wish they would’ve implemented and also firmware via card like the newer bodies, but I am happy with some of the additions they have made and look forward to trying it out to see if the auto performance has improved back to the level of 1.20.

Yeah, focus stacking is something I really wish they would’ve implemented and also firmware via card like the newer bodies, but I am happy with some of the additions they have made and look forward to trying it out to see if the auto performance has improved back to the level of 1.20.
When are you updating?

Back