Sony a1 2.0 firmware finally out

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You’ll still admit that some guys are less talented than others :ROFLMAO:

Glad to know you finally made it ;)
It took 54 minutes just to load the software. I can update my RV in less than five minutes lol. I don’t think a person realizes how many changes they make within a camera until you wipe it clean lol.

With still images and video, The stabilization is definitely noticeably better. I’ve been missing around with it with the 70–200GMii as well as the 100–400 mm lenses and it’s pretty close to being near the level of the A7RV. These are normally the lenses I use for video so that is definitely a welcome edition.

Focus distances recall is awesome and I can't remeber if you could assign recall settings to video button. Now you can. Those changes made my day.

I wish we got pro capture, I have tried it with a9iii. Impressive. However it really really shines with 120 fps.

This is a screenshot from BH stating it has subject detection frame display in video and not exactly sure what that means
IMG_0836.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It took 54 minutes just to load the software. I can update my RV in less than five minutes lol. I don’t think a person realizes how many changes they make within a camera until you wipe it clean lol.
I'm just perusing the thread being curious what a Sony update is like.

I always reset my Z9 when i do a FW update. Makes the menu stay fresh in my mind since I do a lot of one on one Z9/Z8 setup and technique sessions.

With knowing where everything is it still takes about 50 min to manually setup the camera (100% wildlife and bird in flight shooter)

Last edited:
I've been trying focus distance recall , I have it assigned to lens button , If I focus with half shutter press , let go and press hold preset focus I just get message lens is not fitted correctly or not supported . Does this feature work with the 200-600 ?

I've been trying focus distance recall , I have it assigned to lens button , If I focus with half shutter press , let go and press hold preset focus I just get message lens is not fitted correctly or not supported . Does this feature work with the 200-600 ?
That along with the 100-400, 70-200, and 24-105 should be comparable according to the literature

I just updated my A1 and Aperture priority no long works. When the Camera is in position "A" I can no longer use the toggle dials to change shutter speed or Aperture. WTF Sony.

I get the message on the screen with AV TV and a crossed out zero

I just tried it, works on the PZ 16-35 f4, 300 GM, doesn't work on the 24-70 GM II, 70-200 f4 G II, 100-400 GM, 200-600, 600 GM.

Correction: the focus distance recall works with the 600 GM.

Last edited:
Okay, I have tested a few lenses, my 12-24 Aperture works with the key, however, speed settings do not. My 70-200 GII same, the 200-600, same. On my GM II 24-70 nothing works in "S" or "A" only in "Auto" mode.

They just ruined my best camera. I guess I will have got wait for a correction update and do all my photographing in Auto mode.

Okay, I have tested a few lenses, my 12-24 Aperture works with the key, however, speed settings do not. My 70-200 GII same, the 200-600, same. On my GM II 24-70 nothing works in "S" or "A" only in "Auto" mode.

They just ruined my best camera. I guess I will have got wait for a correction update and do all my photographing in Auto mode.
- Can you check the firmware version of your camera please
- Didi you change a parameter related to the front and rear dials ? (My Dial Settings, AV/TV rotate,... for example) ?
- In post #85, you mention "When the Camera is in position "A" I can no longer use the toggle dials to change shutter speed or Aperture"... In A position, front and rear dials both adjust the Aperture (Not the Speed as you're in A mode)
- Are you in Auto ISO ? If yes, in A position, the speed will change only if you reach the limit of ISO you've selected for Auto ISO parameters (top limit or bottom limit)
- Here with 24*70GMII, it works normally (As far as I can see)

Firmware = 2.0
-Did you change a parameter related to the front and rear dials.
yes, put on ISO, works, put on AV fails, put on TV fails, left at default Fails, only "Auto" mode works

- In post #85, you mention "When the Camera is in position "A" I can no longer use the toggle dials to change shutter speed or Aperture"... In A position, front and rear dials both adjust the Aperture (Not the Speed as you're in A mode),,
Both dials do nothing unless I change them to ISO, all other modes do nothing
- Here with 24*70GMII, it works normally (As far as I can see)
Good for you, mine failed completely unless I put it in "Auto" mode, even "P" fails

Thanks for asking though.

I tried using the main touch screen menu to change Aperture and get a message" LENS-- This function is currently disabled. Change the lens status or change the lens.""

Attachments

• IMG_4417.jpg
    IMG_4417.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4419.jpg
    IMG_4419.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Here's an Update.
I ran the entire update again, just Version 2.0 now I have figured out what is wrong with it. If I attach any lens with a focus ring, e.g. with Iris Lock (Sony FE 24-70mm F/2.8 GM II) the function dial on "A" does not work in conjunction with the toggle rings, front or back. "S" is now working and for some reason "P" is now working as "A".
Any other position of the function dial fails on Aperture.

All other lenses work fine if they don't have the focus ring, e.g. a SEL1224GM and SEL70200GM2 work as designed.

Something Sony will have to address. I opened a support ticket this morning with Sony and will have to wait for a response.

Here's an Update.
I ran the entire update again, just Version 2.0 now I have figured out what is wrong with it. If I attach any lens with a focus ring, e.g. with Iris Lock (Sony FE 24-70mm F/2.8 GM II) the function dial on "A" does not work in conjunction with the toggle rings, front or back. "S" is now working and for some reason "P" is now working as "A".
Any other position of the function dial fails on Aperture.

All other lenses work fine if they don't have the focus ring, e.g. a SEL1224GM and SEL70200GM2 work as designed.

Something Sony will have to address. I opened a support ticket this morning with Sony and will have to wait for a response.
Thanks for sharing.
Please, be kind to keep us informed ;)

I tried it with the 600 GM again, it worked this time. Not sure where I messed up the first time. I assigned the distance recall feature to the button on lens.
I put it on C1, actually I might use c2 as a secondary recall. I might, but i am not sure I will ever need 2 distances preprogrammed. The way I shoot I do not need so many custom buttons at the top. I used to have metering and focus areas on C1/C2 but now I just use matrix 99% and toggle focus with center button of the ISO ring.

I am super happy with the recall on video button. I also tried to use C1 as tracking off. Atm I have bbf, ael as af-on and tracking and video as recall (used to be joystick press). But the tracking off toggle does not work as I would like to. It turns it off untill I start tracking again. It is not as pernament swap between tracking af modes and non tracking modes. That way i could have recall on both ael and video buttons and jump between tracking / non tracking af with C1 .

Back