Sony A1-2

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It would not surprise me if the A1II turns out to have the same hardware as the current A1, except for adding the additional new chip for improved subject detection, and, of course, the rear lcd screen of the A1 has no business being on a 7000,- camera, so that should get a significant upgrade (although, yeah it is still Sony so they may skimp on the screen again and make it only minimally better).
Otherwise, the sensor and supporting circuitry are still exceptional, and not really due for an upgrade.

I would expect the real uogrades to be in software. Sony starved the A1 on a firmware diet that would have killed many cameras with lesser hardware, because of being overtaken left and right by all other brands. It was widely lamented, but never truly addressed by Sony, because they feel they can get away with giving the target Sony user an upgrade path by means of a mkII.

It would not surprise me if the A1II turns out to have the same hardware as the current A1, except for adding the additional new chip for improved subject detection, and, of course, the rear lcd screen of the A1 has no business being on a 7000,- camera, so that should get a significant upgrade (although, yeah it is still Sony so they may skimp on the screen again and make it only minimally better).
Otherwise, the sensor and supporting circuitry are still exceptional, and not really due for an upgrade.

I would expect the real uogrades to be in software. Sony starved the A1 on a firmware diet that would have killed many cameras with lesser hardware, because of being overtaken left and right by all other brands. It was widely lamented, but never truly addressed by Sony, because they feel they can get away with giving the target Sony user an upgrade path by means of a mkII.
Very well said and couldn't agree more!

I agree with everything you’re saying. I would not even mind to pay a few hundred dollars to have a few additions and just keep the body I have. It would be money better spent and saved in the long run.
I shoot Canon and I agree completely. I would pay for a software update that enhanced things in the current camera. Bug fixes and minor tweaks should continue to be free but totally new versions with new features added, I would pay for if those new features were something I wanted or fixed shortcomings in the current software vs spending several thousands of dollars on a new body to get some added features. Of course, the manufacturer doesn't make as much profit that way, or at least they think they wouldn't. Some things like a new sensor, new IBIS motors, faster memory, etc. require new hardware but a lot of the features in new bodies are more or less software enhancements.

I shoot Canon and I agree completely. I would pay for a software update that enhanced things in the current camera. Bug fixes and minor tweaks should continue to be free but totally new versions with new features added, I would pay for if those new features were something I wanted or fixed shortcomings in the current software vs spending several thousands of dollars on a new body to get some added features. Of course, the manufacturer doesn't make as much profit that way, or at least they think they wouldn't. Some things like a new sensor, new IBIS motors, faster memory, etc. require new hardware but a lot of the features in new bodies are more or less software enhancements.
I think the worst part is knowing in my mind that the last firmware update made my camera worse. That is the thing that doesn’t sit well with me. I just wish they would come out with a firmware/fix to improve a couple things.

... Some things like a new sensor, new IBIS motors, faster memory, etc. require new hardware but a lot of the features in new bodies are more or less software enhancements.
A lot of the features in new bodies take advantage of faster processors or faster/bigger buffers. Software can add the features but they'd be unacceptably sluggish.

Back