Time to switch to mirrorless - Z8 or Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

R.Philip

I am still shooting with two D850's. I shoot wildlife, landscapes, and anything that suits my mood when I awaken. I have quite a bit of F-mount glass (600mm f4 FL, 500PF, 300mm 2.8, the holy trinity 2.8's, 105 macro, 85 mm 1.4, 1.4TC, and a fisheye ). The Z9 has been out a couple years and the Z8 has been out about a year. It is time for me to start researching a transition to Nikon mirrorless. From the little I know now, the big difference between the two cameras is the battery/battery life, size/weight differences, and price; all the other capabilities are essentially the same. My question is which of the two cameras is more popular at this time? Beyond the above, any other pro's and con's of either model I should consider?

I am still shooting with two D850's. I shoot wildlife, landscapes, and anything that suits my mood when I awaken. I have quite a bit of F-mount glass (600mm f4 FL, 500PF, 300mm 2.8, the holy trinity 2.8's, 105 macro, 85 mm 1.4, 1.4TC, and a fisheye ). The Z9 has been out a couple years and the Z8 has been out about a year. It is time for me to start researching a transition to Nikon mirrorless. From the little I know now, the big difference between the two cameras is the battery/battery life and size/weight differences; all the other capabilities are essentially the same. My question is which of the two cameras is more popular at this time? Beyond the above, any other pro's and con's of either model?
Well there's nothing like the feel and heft of a pro series camera with the integrated grip but acknowledging the differences in battery life, heat dissipation (mostly a high res video concern) and weight for things like balancing your biggest lens the cameras are pretty much the same. I expect for price and walk around weight reasons alone the Z8 is a bit more popular right now but if you really want the flagship camera you won't regret a Z9.

Pretty much comes down to what you want and your budget but there's no bad decision between the two.

Well there's nothing like the feel and heft of a pro series camera with the integrated grip but acknowledging the differences in battery life, heat dissipation (mostly a high res video concern) and weight for things like balancing your biggest lens the cameras are pretty much the same. I expect for price and walk around weight reasons alone the Z8 is a bit more popular right now but if you really want the flagship camera you won't regret a Z9.

Pretty much comes down to what you want and your budget but there's no bad decision between the two.
What about durability? Is the build similar?

I suspect the Z8 has sold more if measured from its release date. Nikon doesn’t share data which can be used to make a comparison, however.

You”ll get lots of comments here, so mine will be brief.

Z8: Smaller. Lighter. Less expensive. Two card slots, CFexpress B and SD. Smaller battery with lesser capacity. There were reports of camera overheating in hot weather during repeated burst shooting or video recording using some CFe cards.

Z9: Integrated vertical grip, Heavier. More expensive. Two CFe card slots. Larger battery with higher capacity. No reports of overheating that I’m aware of.

Firmware update history for both cameras shows that Nikon is maintaining some capability unique to each camera model between updates.

I have both and I’m happy with each.

Last edited:
No shutter, no mirror in the Z8/Z9, so that's a major area of improvement in durability...otherwise, I'd say they're similar.

I changed over 2 years ago when I received my Z9...sold the D850 and D500 a few weeks after receiving it and making sure it didn't have any major gotcha's that I wasn't expecting.

Picked up a Z8 when it was released and have never looked back. Bought some Z glass and still use some of my F glass (300 f2.8 VR II, 70-200E FL, 20 f1.8, 14-24 f2.8 etc).

Video is as important as stills for me, perhaps more so and that is what really prompted me to make the switch...and the glass.

Cheers!

Do you use an add-on grip with your D850? If so, the size of the Z9 may not feel that big. If not, you will find that the Z8 feels a lot like a D850 in size and the Z9 feels a fair amount bigger. (I shot the D850 and D500 before going to mirrorless.)

I have both a Z9 and a Z8. I like them both. IQ, AF performance, and FPS are pretty much the same. Firmware updates are not synched between the two cameras and there can be differences from time to time (and some differences are related to physical differences between the two bodies.) It's quite possible that I would have bought two Z8s rather than a Z9 and a Z8 had the Z8 come out at the same time as the Z9.

I do not find the battery life is an issue with the Z8. I always carried an extra battery or two with the D850 and D500. Now I usually carry two extras, if going out for a day.

A couple of other differences beyond battery size/life and body size/weight. The Z9 has a built-in GPS, which I like at times. I like that the Z9 has more customizable buttons, especially that it has a third button on the front of the camera. I also like that the Z9 has two CFe card slots, whereas the Z8 has a CFe slot and an SD slot. Of course, on the latter point, if you want to use SD cards, then you might prefer the Z8 configuration.

Being larger, the Z9 may balance better with bigger lenses. However, I've had no issues using the Z8 with the Z 400 mm TC lens and the Z 800 mm PF, my two largest lenses.

Being larger, the Z9 has better heat dissipation. This probably matters more for longer video recording at higher resolutions than for stills.

Both will work well with your F mount lenses using an FTZ or FTZII (FTZII works better ergonomically with the Z9 than the FTZ). Both bodies will require a good fast CFe card to get the highest performance offered by them for FPS and high resolution video.

Both cameras are great. So hard to see a wrong choice.

There's been a fair amount of discussion and feedback on Z8 and/or Z9. I won't repeat my previous $0.02c, in earlier threads, except to say I've continued with a mixed F and Z System.

I'm also a contented and committed D6 user, alongside a pair of Z9's.

Of interest here is Canadian wildlife pro, Brad Hill recently posted in his blog that he'd sold on his Z8; as he decided that he also prefers a pair of Z9's.

Last edited:
The Z9 is replacing the DSLRs in the ISS and NASA is sending it to the moon

in general, these are fairly equivalent, but here are a few things that might indicate you should look at the z9:

1) do you want to use vertical grip most of the time?
2) do you want/need to shoot burts in backup mode?
3) do you want to shoot high bitrate, long form video? (better heat handling w/z9)

there are a few more nuanced issues, but these are the stand out things

I have both and currently traveling with the Z8 that holds the 600mm PF. That fits nicely in a smaller backpack to take along my business travels what means I am having a very portable relatively compact wildlife set with me.
Second half of April will I go to Kruger and that is a dedicated photo trip that will have my two Z9s as one will have the 600mm f/4 S TC and the other the 100-400.
Two identical bodies have here the advantage because:
- both card slots are CFE-B so just need 1 type of reader
- only one type of battery —> one type of charger
- the 600mm f/4 seems for me better balanced with the Z9
- two identical bodies —> the same feel

You really can’t go wrong with either one of them and how much I love the feel of the Z9 as a pro body, still have a sweet spot for the Z8.

When I had two D80 cameras I used both with the battery grip attached and the EN-EL18 batteries. I could go several days without needed to replace the batteries and then it was simple to recharge them both overnight. Big help when traveling as compared to using the EN-EL15 batteries. This influenced my decision to buy the Z9 instead of a Sony camera as they all use a small battery and even with a grip all that is added is a second small battery.

I dislike shooting with the excellent D750 as the camera as too small for my hands to grip for extended periods of time. I greatly preferred using the pro camera for that reason alone.
Others with smaller hands may find the Z8 easier to hold and use than the Z9. My wife loves her small Olympus MFT cameras that I myself find too small for extended use with my larger hands.

The Z9 has two card slots and both take a CFexpress B card. The second slot in the Z8 only takes a SD card and that means carrying around two type of cards and two types of card readers. The largest capacity SDXC cards are 32GB or a lot less than with CFexpress cards. One can use micro SD cards with an adapter but that adds another layer of complexity.

I like to use the card in Slot 1 for stills and the card in Slot 2 for video and have different speed and capacity cards in the two slots. I could not do this with the Z8 camera. The need to useCFexpress type A cards in the Sony cameras was also a reason for not going from Nikon DSLR to Sony mirrorless.

This in all is why my second camera is also a Z9 and not a Z8.

Speaking for myself, I'm not a youngster with endless stamina and energy any more. The smaller, lighter Z8 makes most sense for me if I'm going to handle the camera for hours-long shooting excursions at a time. Camera weight becomes a factor when hand-holding long, relatively heavy telephoto lenses. If I'm not walking far or carrying the camera long distances I could probably get by with a Z9. The differences in capabilities between the two bodies are small enough that one could make either of the two work in any scenario where the other will work. Compromise in some cases, yes, but one can make either of them work.

Hold them in your hands with a commonly used lens for you. See which one feels and balances the best. While heavier, the Z9 size is more comfortable in my hands. The Z8 is OK, but not as comfortable. You have to carry it, so you need to hold them and make your choice. Either one will provide you with exceptional image quality.

Last edited:
Do you use an add-on grip with your D850? If so, the size of the Z9 may not feel that big. If not, you will find that the Z8 feels a lot like a D850 in size and the Z9 feels a fair amount bigger. (I shot the D850 and D500 before going to mirrorless.)

I have both a Z9 and a Z8. I like them both. IQ, AF performance, and FPS are pretty much the same. Firmware updates are not synched between the two cameras and there can be differences from time to time (and some differences are related to physical differences between the two bodies.) It's quite possible that I would have bought two Z8s rather than a Z9 and a Z8 had the Z8 come out at the same time as the Z9.

I do not find the battery life is an issue with the Z8. I always carried an extra battery or two with the D850 and D500. Now I usually carry two extras, if going out for a day.

A couple of other differences beyond battery size/life and body size/weight. The Z9 has a built-in GPS, which I like at times. I like that the Z9 has more customizable buttons, especially that it has a third button on the front of the camera. I also like that the Z9 has two CFe card slots, whereas the Z8 has a CFe slot and an SD slot. Of course, on the latter point, if you want to use SD cards, then you might prefer the Z8 configuration.

Being larger, the Z9 may balance better with bigger lenses. However, I've had no issues using the Z8 with the Z 400 mm TC lens and the Z 800 mm PF, my two largest lenses.

Being larger, the Z9 has better heat dissipation. This probably matters more for longer video recording at higher resolutions than for stills.

Both will work well with your F mount lenses using an FTZ or FTZII (FTZII works better ergonomically with the Z9 than the FTZ). Both bodies will require a good fast CFe card to get the highest performance offered by them for FPS and high resolution video.

Both cameras are great. So hard to see a wrong choice.
I have a battery pack on one of my D850's so no issue there. Nice write up.

Two identical bodies have here the advantage because:
- both card slots are CFE-B so just need 1 type of reader
- only one type of battery —> one type of charger
- the 600mm f/4 seems for me better balanced with the Z9
- two identical bodies —> the same feel

You really can’t go wrong with either one of them and how much I love the feel of the Z9 as a pro body, still have a sweet spot for the Z8.
These are some very good points. I was thinking about starting with a Z8 and then retiring it to a back-up role when I purchase a Z9 as a primary. With wildlife, everyone knows the flexibility of having a 2nd camera with a different lens. I am accustomed to two D850's with different lenses at the ready for varying shots. The points you make will be very influential to my ultimate decision.

I thank everyone for their input. I was leaning toward a Z9 because of the battery issues. I'm spoiled with the D850 with the battery pack. I'll go days of shooting without having to charge batteries and the Z9 battery configuration is a point I weigh heavily. I'm very mindful of shutting the camera off between shots when there is a lull in the action. Since I have the last Nikon f-mounted 600mm f/4, the rig will most likely be on a Gitso/Wimberly set up that I'll be lugging around. I'm heading to the GSMNP in a couple weeks for black bears. After getting back, I will likely start selling some of my F-mount glass and one of the D850's to start getting the cash together. Hopefully, I don't have to sell the Harley also. Harley, camera, Harley, camera, Harley camera... I also hope my wife doesn't get too pissed when I tell her she has to go back to work to pay for my new camera gear. I am working on the arguments already. You only have to work until it is paid off. My stock photography business is still getting off the ground and selling images at $.42 a shot on Dreamstime will take way too long to pay off the camera gear. LOL! I'm figuring Z9, FTZII, CFe cards, L-bracket, an extra battery, and a Z-lens.

Last edited:
I thank everyone for their input. I was leaning toward a Z9 because of the battery issues. I'm spoiled with the D850 with the battery pack. I'll go days of shooting without having to charge batteries and the Z9 battery configuration is a point I weigh heavily. I'm very mindful of shutting the camera off between shots when there is a lull in the action. Since I have the last Nikon f-mounted 600mm f/4, the rig will most likely be on a Gitso/Wimberly set up that I'll be lugging around. I'm heading to the GSMNP in a couple weeks for black bears. After getting back, I will likely start selling some of my F-mount glass and one of the D850's to start getting the cash together. Hopefully, I don't have to sell the Harley also. Harley, camera, Harley, camera, Harley camera... I also hope my wife doesn't get too pissed when I tell her she has to go back to work to pay for my new camera gear. I am working on the arguments already. You only have to work until it is paid off. My stock photography business is still getting off the ground and selling images at $.42 a shot on Dreamstime will take way too long to pay off the camera gear. LOL! I'm figuring Z9, FTZII, CFe cards, L-bracket, an extra battery, and a Z-lens.
You didn't ask, but I rarely let that stand in the way of sharing an opinion. :)

Since you mentioned it...for that first Z lens, I chose the 24-120...it's probably the most versatile lens in the Z lineup to keep on one of your bodies for general purpose use. After that, the 14-30, the 100-400 and at some point when I caught them on sale for around $250, the 28 f2.8 and the 40 f2. Recently sold my 500pf and picked up the 600pf which complements the 100-400 very nicely when I need more reach...have the Z1.4 TC, too. 14-840mm with 4 lenses and a TC...21-1260 in DX mode for max reach if you like to fill the viewfinder!

For now, in F glass, I'm keeping an Irix 11 f5, 14-24 f2.8, 20 1.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 105 2.8 Micro, 70-200E FL, 300 2.8 VR II and a few other odds and ends. I will never forgive Canon for orphaning my outstanding collection of FD glass when they went digital! :mad:

I'm down to 3 bikes, sold one of my dual sports to fund the Z8...no more camera bodies until they release a Z5 II with Expeed 7 or 8...I'm good!

The Z9 has two card slots and both take a CFexpress B card. The second slot in the Z8 only takes a SD card and that means carrying around two type of cards and two types of card readers. The largest capacity SDXC cards are 32GB or a lot less than with CFexpress cards. One can use micro SD cards with an adapter but that adds another layer of complexity.
Your comment about SDXC cards being limited to 32GB is incorrect...the spec allows for up to 2TB addressing. The Z8 supports up to SDXC II cards that are available in V90 speeds up to 2TB and 256GB cards are fairly reasonably priced. I own a couple of the 256GB and 128GB SDXC II cards and they work fine.

We all make mistakes and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but please be more careful and research claims like this before posting...and yes, I will take my own advice.

The z8 and Z9 mostly function the same, at least for still photography. If you are planning extensive video work the Z9 is a better choice.

There is no question that the Z8 has compromises compared to the Z9 in order to reduce size. The differences include no dual grip, less heat shielding and room for only one larger CF Express B slot and smaller battery compartment.

The Z8 is approximately one lb lighter than the Z9. It is similar in size and weight to the D800 series cameras.

The Z9 feels like a classic Nikon professional camera complete with dual grip. It has a deep grip and it is very comfortable to use with a large lens. It has more control buttons because of the dual grip.

In practice the battery capacity difference is huge. I can shoot all day on a single battery and I have never came close to running out of power on the Z9. By contrast my photo partner has to carry a couple extra batteries an will change a couple times a day with his Z8.

Having dual CF Express card slots is also a big difference. I have found on more than one occasion I used my primary card in a card reader to import images. I forgot to return it to the camera and I found myself in the field with only one card. The mistake did not stop me from shooting a full day without restriction because the second card had the same capability as the primary card. If this happened on the Z8 the second card is not capable of functioning at the same speed. This would compromise the camera's ability to shoot rapid bursts.

Steve Perry recommends making extensive use of high frame rate burst shooting in wildlife photography. Shooting this way helps increase the chances of getting the most interesting shot and the best chance of getting sharp images. If you follow this approach you will like I do often shoot short bursts at 20 fps. Both cameras can perform that way with CF Express type B cards.

Bottom line, if lighter weight is important for you the Z8 is a better choice. The Z9 costs a bit more but quality used Z9's can be found for less than the cost of a new Z8.

On the other hand if you are not concerned about weight and price difference and like the professional grip then the Z9 is a better choice.

I chose the Z9. When I got to the point where I was looking for a second body I chose to go with another Z9 rather than a Z8. I am a big guy and prefer the deeper grip. I shoot with a lot of large lenses anyway and a lb lighter does not matter to me.

But that is my personal; choice, I know many viewers on this site prefer the Z8 because of the smaller size and weight.

The z8 and Z9 mostly function the same, at least for still photography. If you are planning extensive video work the Z9 is a better choice.

There is no question that the Z8 has compromises compared to the Z9 in order to reduce size. The differences include no dual grip, less heat shielding and room for only one larger CF Express B slot and smaller battery compartment.

The Z8 is approximately one lb lighter than the Z9. It is similar in size and weight to the D800 series cameras.

The Z9 feels like a classic Nikon professional camera complete with dual grip. It has a deep grip and it is very comfortable to use with a large lens. It has more control buttons because of the dual grip.

In practice the battery capacity difference is huge. I can shoot all day on a single battery and I have never came close to running out of power on the Z9. By contrast my photo partner has to carry a couple extra batteries an will change a couple times a day with his Z8.

Having dual CF Express card slots is also a big difference. I have found on more than one occasion I used my primary card in a card reader to import images. I forgot to return it to the camera and I found myself in the field with only one card. The mistake did not stop me from shooting a full day without restriction because the second card had the same capability as the primary card. If this happened on the Z8 the second card is not capable of functioning at the same speed. This would compromise the camera's ability to shoot rapid bursts.

Steve Perry recommends making extensive use of high frame rate burst shooting in wildlife photography. Shooting this way helps increase the chances of getting the most interesting shot and the best chance of getting sharp images. If you follow this approach you will like I do often shoot short bursts at 20 fps. Both cameras can perform that way with CF Express type B cards.

Bottom line, if lighter weight is important for you the Z8 is a better choice. The Z9 costs a bit more but quality used Z9's can be found for less than the cost of a new Z8.

On the other hand if you are not concerned about weight and price difference and like the professional grip then the Z9 is a better choice.

I chose the Z9. When I got to the point where I was looking for a second body I chose to go with another Z9 rather than a Z8. I am a big guy and prefer the deeper grip. I shoot with a lot of large lenses anyway and a lb lighter does not matter to me.

But that is my personal; choice, I know many viewers on this site prefer the Z8 because of the smaller size and weight.
A very good synopsis. You further solidify that my choice would be a Z9. I am totally moving away from the Z8 based on an abundance of what I consider value information provided in this thread. I may keep a D850 for a back-up for a while. A second camera is very important. I never thought about a used Z9, but I would now consider that for my back-up 2nd camera.

Your comment about SDXC cards being limited to 32GB is incorrect...the spec allows for up to 2TB addressing. The Z8 supports up to SDXC II cards that are available in V90 speeds up to 2TB and 256GB cards are fairly reasonably priced. I own a couple of the 256GB and 128GB SDXC II cards and they work fine.

We all make mistakes and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but please be more careful and research claims like this before posting...and yes, I will take my own advice.
I have a SanDisk 512 Gb SDXC card.

A very good synopsis. You further solidify that my choice would be a Z9. I am totally moving away from the Z8 based on an abundance of what I consider value information provided in this thread. I may keep a D850 for a back-up for a while. A second camera is very important. I never thought about a used Z9, but I would now consider that for my back-up 2nd camera.
I bought my second Z9 on this forum. The Z9 in particular is built like a tank and is intended for heavy professional use under all sorts of conditions. Make sure it is a US model and do your homework. These cameras don't have mechanical shutters so they should run a long time if not abused.

I got my Z8 the day that they were released. I debated for a while previous to the announcement as to which I thought that I would get. The Z8 was said to be a mini Z9 but that it had all the features of a Z9 except the grip with the big battery. So I bought the Z8... then within about a week, the Z8 no longer had all the bells and whistles of the Z9. And for most of the past 10 months the Z8 has not had some of the better features. If I had it to do over again, I would now own a Z9. Just my 2 cents!

Back