What’s your three non camera gear purchases for photography?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I would have to say the first one and the best purchase I have ever made would be the cotton carrier vest. This has been a lifesaver for me because I can easily strap a camera body with a 600 mm prime and another camera body on the side holster and walk for 3 to 5 miles with no issues. The second would be the series 4 gitzo monopod which I use all the time. The third would be heated gloves for winter time. These are a must for me because I have so much nerve damage in my hands that once my hands get cold I am done.

I assume you mean best purchase other than camera or lens. It would have to be a carbon fiber tripod. I got my first one - a Bogen/Manfrotto - just before a trip to Europe and it was so much nicer than carrying the heavier aluminum Bogen I had. Later I upgraded to a Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripod which is even better because I am tall and it extends to full height without the need for a center column.

I assume you mean best purchase other than camera or lens. It would have to be a carbon fiber tripod. I got my first one - a Bogen/Manfrotto - just before a trip to Europe and it was so much nicer than carrying the heavier aluminum Bogen I had. Later I upgraded to a Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripod which is even better because I am tall and it extends to full height without the need for a center column.
Yes, I should’ve made that clear in the title I’ll change that

I think a carbon fiber monopod just like you say is one of the best purchases I have ever made a lot of times if I’m in a area and don’t want to put the camera on my vest I will leave it on the monopod and put it over my shoulder. It’s super quick to access your camera that way. I ended up getting the RRS monopod head for it and I’ve had really good luck with the whole set up.

1) Proper ball head for my tripod. Actually got me to use the darn thing.

2) A high end laptop for fast image processing and using AI Noise reduction.

3) A LowePro Flipside 400 AW that showed me how a good back-pack for carrying gear should look, work and perform.
That backpack is great. I have the same one

You should post a pic of that you have me curious now
2019 version
65540971_2385510798163270_1043253388763987968_n.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

1. Moving over to the Lee's filter system (too many to list)
2. Peli 1520 case
3. Travel cigar humidor for those long time-lapses in the middle of nowhere

I would have to say the first one and the best purchase I have ever made would be the cotton carrier vest. This has been a lifesaver for me because I can easily strap a camera body with a 600 mm prime and another camera body on the side holster and walk for 3 to 5 miles with no issues. The second would be the series 4 gitzo monopod which I use all the time. The third would be heated gloves for winter time. These are a must for me because I have so much nerve damage in my hands that once my hands get cold I am done.
Great thread idea.

Nope, crawl around in the water behind it.
Not sure if you made that yourself or had someone else fabricate it but I would think you would be able to sell those. I spent my whole career, a diesel mechanic and pretty good at fabricating things. You definitely have sparked some ideas.

Not sure if you made that yourself or had someone else fabricate it but I would think you would be able to sell those. I spent my whole career, a diesel mechanic and pretty good at fabricating things. You definitely have sparked some ideas.
I did it myself. In a past life I was a welder/fabricator so making brackets and mounting things is kind of second nature.

I did it myself. In a past life I was a welder/fabricator so making brackets and mounting things is kind of second nature.
It’s fun making things like that and I miss having a welder at home. I got rid of a lot of the tools I had after getting hurt. That really is a neat creation.

Been pondering getting a Cotton Carrier (again; had one years ago) for the 600. Any issues with the adapter plate for the Carrier and then wanting to toss the lens into the gimbal/tripod? And yah, re hands. I've frozen mine so often one they get cold fast and then stay cold (or wholly non functional) without a heat source of some sort, chemical packs or otherwise (have a little computer mouse sized 'egg' that I keep in my pocket or glove on the shutter finger hand.

Listed in order of most used.

1) a good backpack. i've used the same one for 12(?)+ years. Lowepro but don't even recall what model and it's not labeled. 400AW maybe? Fits a 500mm f4 w/out body attached or 500mmPF w/pro body attached and lens hood in shooting position.
2) 20L dry bag. Modified it by lining it with 1/2in closed cell foam. Fits 500mm f4/Z9 or 800mm PF/Z9 with hood reversed.
3) CF tripod/gimbal

Back