What’s your three non camera gear purchases for photography?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

#2 : Wet & Wild & Wading …

Wet & Wild & Wading
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Perfect for wandering across tidal flats!

My hands are also my weak (very, very weak) point. I have a drawer full of gloves and liners and still struggle. What are you using?Thanks, April

LMAO!
I use battery powered gloves we got from Amazon. I think they're all pretty similar and $80-100 they come with two batteries. I will try to find the exact ones

I try to be minimalist when I go out shooting. I wear a "tactical" or "duty" belt over my jacket or over my pants in summer. On the belt, I have 2 lens cases. I usually carry a macro lens in one and some type of wide angle in the other. I also have a pouch where I carry some extra batteries, chapstick, micro fiber cloth and other assorted stuff. In summer, I will forego one of the lenses and carry a bottle of water instead. I also have one of those Peak Design belt clip thingies to carry the camera body when I'm using lighter weight lenses or when changing lenses. It is a system that works for me. I bought a new belt this year to replace the ratted out one I"ve been using for the past 5 years.
View attachment 75726
This is my set up too (similar tactical belt), and for those that mentioned the Capture Clip isn't for big glass, I carry the 100-400 and 180-600 on this set up. I have the full size Peak strap providing support as well. Could probably do the same with Black Rapid if it's long enough.

I made what I call the muskrat hut out of a belly boat , a lot of thought went into this hut and time , but it’s amazing how close the waterfowl get.
IMG_0565.jpeg
IMG_0566.jpeg
IMG_0572.jpeg
IMG_0588.jpeg
IMG_0619.jpeg

This is my set up too (similar tactical belt), and for those that mentioned the Capture Clip isn't for big glass, I carry the 100-400 and 180-600 on this set up. I have the full size Peak strap providing support as well. Could probably do the same with Black Rapid if it's long enough.
I use black rapid. Usually when I swap out my Tele for a shorter lens, I leave the telephoto lens hanging from the Black Rapid strap and attach the camera body/lens to the capture clip. (thanks for the name, I couldn't remember exactly what they called it).
Jeff

I would have to say the first one and the best purchase I have ever made would be the cotton carrier vest. This has been a lifesaver for me because I can easily strap a camera body with a 600 mm prime and another camera body on the side holster and walk for 3 to 5 miles with no issues. The second would be the series 4 gitzo monopod which I use all the time. The third would be heated gloves for winter time. These are a must for me because I have so much nerve damage in my hands that once my hands get cold I am done.
Airline tickets, rain jacket, thermal underwear. 🥴

Costco in our area had a fleece-lined toque with a built-in, rechargeable LED light for sale recently. I just got to try mine out when photographing the Aurora the other night…worked great and was nice and warm!

CF Tripod and head
Rollering think tank bag for travel (or gura gear bag).
business class airline tix when I travel internationally

1) RRS TVC-24L tripod with BH-55 and Wimberly Sidekick: served me so well for over a decade.
2) BenQ 27” SW270C and i1 Display Pro calibrator: has had a huge impact on color and brightness results of final images, esp. when printing
3) Gitzo GM4552L Series 4 Carbon Fiber Monopod w/Wimberly tripod head: I find myself using this far more than my tripod now that I have the Z8 with its focusing and stabilization capabilities.
4) Mr. Jan Gear Lens Carrier System: I find this so much more comfortable and easier to use than the Cotton Carrier setup that I have (which is now about ten years old, and has been presumably upgraded).

1) RRS TVC-24L tripod with BH-55 and Wimberly Sidekick: served me so well for over a decade.
2) BenQ 27” SW270C and i1 Display Pro calibrator: has had a huge impact on color and brightness results of final images, esp. when printing
3) Gitzo GM4552L Series 4 Carbon Fiber Monopod w/Wimberly tripod head: I find myself using this far more than my tripod now that I have the Z8 with its focusing and stabilization capabilities.
4) Mr. Jan Gear Lens Carrier System: I find this so much more comfortable and easier to use than the Cotton Carrier setup that I have (which is now about ten years old, and has been presumably upgraded).
I love my series 4 gitzo monopod. I use it very frequently.

Back