What’s your three non camera gear purchases for photography?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

1) Backpack(s). I have a couple to serve whatever purpose I need them to. Something big and sturdy to carry lots of stuff in the field, something small/compact for air travel,...
2) Heated insoles/glove warmers. Keep yourself warm/comfortable and you'll happily stay out shooting longer.
3) Good quality hiking boots. Similar reasoning as above.

Been pondering getting a Cotton Carrier (again; had one years ago) for the 600. Any issues with the adapter plate for the Carrier and then wanting to toss the lens into the gimbal/tripod? And yah, re hands. I've frozen mine so often one they get cold fast and then stay cold (or wholly non functional) without a heat source of some sort, chemical packs or otherwise (have a little computer mouse sized 'egg' that I keep in my pocket or glove on the shutter finger hand.
No issues at all on the monopod but if I want the wimberley gimbal to be balanced I have to remove the adapter or you could use a longer plate. I have a fairly long foot on the 600 prime and it works just great.

Ive been using it or a version of it for about 6 years now and havent had any "issues" Groundpods wont do you much good in a foot of water lol
oh, I know. But I don't have places I'd either want to be out in the water or can be (refuges, protected wetlands, etc) around me super locally (within a couple of hours).

I would have to say the first one and the best purchase I have ever made would be the cotton carrier vest. This has been a lifesaver for me because I can easily strap a camera body with a 600 mm prime and another camera body on the side holster and walk for 3 to 5 miles with no issues. The second would be the series 4 gitzo monopod which I use all the time. The third would be heated gloves for winter time. These are a must for me because I have so much nerve damage in my hands that once my hands get cold I am done.
Tripod, flash, backpack, dust removing kit, trail cam.

No issues at all on the monopod but if I want the wimberley gimbal to be balanced I have to remove the adapter or you could use a longer plate. I have a fairly long foot on the 600 prime and it works just great.
I see there's now a "universal adapter" which I'm assuming means from vest to acra gimbal?

I would have to say the first one and the best purchase I have ever made would be the cotton carrier vest. This has been a lifesaver for me because I can easily strap a camera body with a 600 mm prime and another camera body on the side holster and walk for 3 to 5 miles with no issues. The second would be the series 4 gitzo monopod which I use all the time. The third would be heated gloves for winter time. These are a must for me because I have so much nerve damage in my hands that once my hands get cold I am done.
  1. Mindshift 18l backpack. Works for airplane travel, plus I generally keep "gear I'm using a lot right now" in it ready to go. So packing up the camera gear for a morning birding trip consists of picking up the backpack. Hip belt and padding make it suitable for use on longer hikes (10+ miles). And as noted in another thread, easy to secure in a car. Big time saver for me.
  2. Blackrapid shoulder strap. A lot of what I do is wander about looking for something interesting (I should get more structured at times ...). For this sort of amble that strap works well for me. I need to look at something like the cotton carrier when I want to power walk with a camera + big lens easy to get to
  3. Capture Camera clip by Peak Design. I've used this when day hiking and wanted a camera handy for landscape shots. It allows me to clip my dSLR with lens (say a 16-80) on the strap of my backpack. It rides nicely there and makes it easy to stop, grab the camera and take a picture. This is not a solution for big glass, though I've gone as big as the 100-400 on my d7500 with it. But mostly a smaller landscape lens.

1. Mindshift 18l backpack. Works for airplane travel, plus I generally keep "gear I'm using a lot right now" in it ready to go. So packing up the camera gear for a morning birding trip consists of picking up the backpack. Hip belt and padding make it suitable for use on longer hikes (10+ miles). And as noted in another thread, easy to secure in a car. Big time saver for me.
  2. Blackrapid shoulder strap. A lot of what I do is wander about looking for something interesting (I should get more structured at times ...). For this sort of amble that strap works well for me. I need to look at something like the cotton carrier when I want to power walk with a camera + big lens easy to get to
  3. Capture Camera clip by Peak Design. I've used this when day hiking and wanted a camera handy for landscape shots. It allows me to clip my dSLR with lens (say a 16-80) on the strap of my backpack. It rides nicely there and makes it easy to stop, grab the camera and take a picture. This is not a solution for big glass, though I've gone as big as the 100-400 on my d7500 with it. But mostly a smaller landscape lens.
I have a mindshift cross body bag I use frequently in the winter which is very nice.

1. ProMediaGear Katana Jnr Gimbal head.
Amazing bit of kit and the best gimbal I've ever had.

2. Leofoto Ranger LS-223C
Fantastic mini tripod that I use in most bird hides in conjunction with the Katana Jnr.

3. smdv rfn-4s remote trigger release
A superb little remote shutter release.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Leofoto-Carbon-Dreibeinstativ-LS-223C-Ranger.jpg
    Leofoto-Carbon-Dreibeinstativ-LS-223C-Ranger.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 42
- a solid backpack
- cleaning kit
- protection filters and lens coats

But equally like:
- my Gitzo tripods
- the Wimberley Gimbal
And can name at least 10 other essential items I take with me on a wildlife trip.

1. ProMediaGear Katana Jnr Gimbal head.
Amazing bit of kit and the best gimbal I've ever had.

2. Leofoto Ranger LS-223C
Fantastic mini tripod that I use in most bird hides in conjunction with the Katana Jnr.

3. smdv rfn-4s remote trigger release
A superb little remote shutter release.
I have that exact tripod and its wonderful for low shots

1) Backpack(s). I have a couple to serve whatever purpose I need them to. Something big and sturdy to carry lots of stuff in the field, something small/compact for air travel,...
2) Heated insoles/glove warmers. Keep yourself warm/comfortable and you'll happily stay out shooting longer.
3) Good quality hiking boots. Similar reasoning as above.
Completely agree on the gloves and boots, the more comfortable you are the longer you'll stay...

For those with the Cotton Carrier, have you ever tried the speed shooter harness - https://www.whistlingwingsphotography.com/speed-shooter-harness
I'm only just now getting into long lenses so haven't had a need before but thought this was an interesting idea for big heavy lenses.

Listed in order of most used.

1) a good backpack. i've used the same one for 12(?)+ years. Lowepro but don't even recall what model and it's not labeled. 400AW maybe? Fits a 500mm f4 w/out body attached or 500mmPF w/pro body attached and lens hood in shooting position.
2) 20L dry bag. Modified it by lining it with 1/2in closed cell foam. Fits 500mm f4/Z9 or 800mm PF/Z9 with hood reversed.
3) CF tripod/gimbal
I've had a Lowepro since the mid 90's that has served me very well over the years. Got my first Gitzo CF tripod early 2000's and still use it today.

When I shot weddings I loved the Thinktank Photo belt/harness system, having all the bags around my waste for quick access to different lenses was a godsend in quick action moments, it carried practically everything I could carry in my backpack. Now that I mostly just do portraits I still have some TTP gear but I'd have to say my favorite gear is the BlackRapid camera sling strap with QD attachment. I also really like the Spider Camera Holster but the pin sometimes gets in the way so mostly using BlackRapid these days.

For the future, I'd really like to get a ground pod (or rather make one) and get a ProMediaGear Tomahawk V2 Gimbal for low to the ground shots.

Also, I still really like hand straps - they help stabilize when hand holding camera/lens, the latest I'm using is the Vello Hand Grip Strap, I re-purposed their Arca plate as I already have a Leofoto L Bracket for my Z8, and speaking of that, I love the new L brackets that form fit the body.

Zeiss optical wipes, brilliant to put just about everywhere and have handy for that inevitable smudge.

Wes's float seems absolutely ingenious but I have to agree with Cameron, just looking at it causes me anxiety but sometimes risks must be taken for the shot and you can't argue with the low to water shots... It's basically a waterpod ;)

Last edited:
I try to be minimalist when I go out shooting. I wear a "tactical" or "duty" belt over my jacket or over my pants in summer. On the belt, I have 2 lens cases. I usually carry a macro lens in one and some type of wide angle in the other. I also have a pouch where I carry some extra batteries, chapstick, micro fiber cloth and other assorted stuff. In summer, I will forego one of the lenses and carry a bottle of water instead. I also have one of those Peak Design belt clip thingies to carry the camera body when I'm using lighter weight lenses or when changing lenses. It is a system that works for me. I bought a new belt this year to replace the ratted out one I"ve been using for the past 5 years.
IMG_4416.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I try to be minimalist when I go out shooting. I wear a "tactical" or "duty" belt over my jacket or over my pants in summer. On the belt, I have 2 lens cases. I usually carry a macro lens in one and some type of wide angle in the other. I also have a pouch where I carry some extra batteries, chapstick, micro fiber cloth and other assorted stuff. In summer, I will forego one of the lenses and carry a bottle of water instead. I also have one of those Peak Design belt clip thingies to carry the camera body when I'm using lighter weight lenses or when changing lenses. It is a system that works for me. I bought a new belt this year to replace the ratted out one I"ve been using for the past 5 years.
View attachment 75726
That’s a nice setup

Back