What’s your three non camera gear purchases for photography?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My top purchase was a Domke photographer's jacket with its many very large pockets (large enough for lenses up to a 70-200mm) and detachable sleeves to turn it into a vest. It is irreplaceable as nothing has been made since. It is 100% cotton so not at all waterproof and for this reason I bought unlined waterproof British game jackets that have very large front pockets meant to hold shotgun shells.

I have used the Domke jacket to carry on board a plane a couple of wide angle lenses and a telephto lens and a speedlight and batteries and one camera body all of which are not subject to the carry on baggage limitation (if enforced).

My top purchase was a Domke photographer's jacket with its many very large pockets (large enough for lenses up to a 70-200mm) and detachable sleeves to turn it into a vest. It is irreplaceable as nothing has been made since. It is 100% cotton so not at all waterproof and for this reason I bought unlined waterproof British game jackets that have very large front pockets meant to hold shotgun shells.

I have used the Domke jacket to carry on board a plane a couple of wide angle lenses and a telephto lens and a speedlight and batteries and one camera body all of which are not subject to the carry on baggage limitation (if enforced).
Sounds interesting

I would have to say the first one and the best purchase I have ever made would be the cotton carrier vest. This has been a lifesaver for me because I can easily strap a camera body with a 600 mm prime and another camera body on the side holster and walk for 3 to 5 miles with no issues. The second would be the series 4 gitzo monopod which I use all the time. The third would be heated gloves for winter time. These are a must for me because I have so much nerve damage in my hands that once my hands get cold I am done.
I too vote for the Cotton Carrier although I have no back issues. In fact I believe it was you sh1209 that convinced me to buy one. Absolutely great for carrying the Z9 and 800 pf, plus it frees up the hands when on stake out waiting for action to happen. I also use it on ROW inspection jobs when humping in and out. Great kit!

I too vote for the Cotton Carrier although I have no back issues. In fact I believe it was you sh1209 that convinced me to buy one. Absolutely great for carrying the Z9 and 800 pf, plus it frees up the hands when on stake out waiting for action to happen. I also use it on ROW inspection jobs when humping in and out. Great kit!
It truly is the best thing I’ve ever bought for photography. I bought the skout harness as well which is nice for smaller setups.

While not a Domke jacket I use a Filson all OD green upland cotton twill vest. Huge pockets, front side (both) entry to main compartment. Can be used with layers and wears well for comfort.

Also the Atlas Adventurer camera pack; properly designed as a true backpack that is designed to carry loads very well and it does just that!

I would have to say the first one and the best purchase I have ever made would be the cotton carrier vest. This has been a lifesaver for me because I can easily strap a camera body with a 600 mm prime and another camera body on the side holster and walk for 3 to 5 miles with no issues. The second would be the series 4 gitzo monopod which I use all the time. The third would be heated gloves for winter time. These are a must for me because I have so much nerve damage in my hands that once my hands get cold I am done.
You start many of the most interesting threads on this forum. Thank you!

Tenba Axis 32L Backpack - Fits my needs and gets my gear into a relatively compact space for travelling in our RV.
Promaster MPV428+ monopod with SPH36P Ballhead and Induro Sidekick gimbal mount - not high end or fancy, but really meet my needs and make my day easier when shooting.
Macbook Pro 14" M2 Max, 32GB RAM, 1TB RAM - really accelerates processing and management of photos. Works amazing for my needs.

The first two items meet my limited needs for where, what and how I shoot. The Mac is an amazing upgrade from the 2017 model I was using and has significantly reduced ingestion and, culling processing times. All three items acquired in 2023 with real impact on my work this year!

Last edited:
Hard to limit it to three items beyond cameras, lenses, tripods and the like but here are a few I've enjoyed using quite a bit:

- Lowepro Flipside AW II 400 pack for day to day use and larger packs when traveling with big glass (Gura Gear Bataflae 26L or Mindshift/Moose Peterson MP-1)
- iOptron Sky Guider Pro star tracker
- Tragopan blind(s), I use the Hokki ground blind and occasionally the Monal full blind for various projects

#1 : Anchor by Peak Design …

Peak Design Anchor
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Perhaps #2 should be a camera-cleaning cloth!

1. The Novoflex Castel-M manual focusing rail for focus stacking has really changed how I understand the process of focus shifting and creating large stacks quickly and accurately by hand. I have not used my powered rail since I got it!
2. I am just getting into "Camera Trapping" for both birds in flight (and the Gray Fox I keep seeing at night in my backyard) with the Cognisys Sabre system and setting up my high-speed insect system from them. They both add an entirely new dimension to wildlife photography for me. There is a LOT to learn to make these systems meet my expectations!
3. And I agree with the comments on the Cotton Carrier. Since my emergency knee surgery, I need to keep one hand on my hiking staff when limping around the forest and the Cotton Carrier allows me to bring my camera. My hiking staff which is attached to the vest and when I drop it to use the camera it is easy and quickly retrieved (like a wading staff).

1. The Novoflex Castel-M manual focusing rail for focus stacking has really changed how I understand the process of focus shifting and creating large stacks quickly and accurately by hand. I have not used my powered rail since I got it!
2. I am just getting into "Camera Trapping" for both birds in flight (and the Gray Fox I keep seeing at night in my backyard) with the Cognisys Sabre system and setting up my high-speed insect system from them. They both add an entirely new dimension to wildlife photography for me. There is a LOT to learn to make these systems meet my expectations!
3. And I agree with the comments on the Cotton Carrier. Since my emergency knee surgery, I need to keep one hand on my hiking staff when limping around the forest and the Cotton Carrier allows me to bring my camera. My hiking staff which is attached to the vest and when I drop it to use the camera it is easy and quickly retrieved (like a wading staff).
Hopefully your knee gets better soon. Not fun having injuries

Back