What's In My Bag? Africa, 2024!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

With your equipement, you covered big focal range. I am thinking about getting the 100-400. Maybe I will have it as a loan, try and decide later. How do you find this lens?
The 100-400 is excellent…not as sharp at 2:1 in LR as the 600PF but at screen output resolution the differences go away due to downsampling. I find it quite acceptable. I added the 180-600 recently as well…it’s rated a bit better than the 100-400 (and I agree) which is strange since the latter is an S lens…but it is what it is. For me…the 600PF has the TC on most of the time for reach without weight and again it’s far better than adequate…so the 180-600 gives better overall coverage with less gap than the 100-400…albeit at the cost of weight and MFD which the shorter has and it’s outstanding for my close in work which isn’t enough to justify carrying a dedicated macro lens. Which of the zooms I take depends on car vs hike vs length of hike as well as experience at a location because some places 180 is too much lens.

Given my use of the 600PF as the exotic lenses are just more than I would care to carry…if I had to pick just one of the zooms it would be a hard choice…but I would probably slightly favor the 180-600 despite its extra weight. I did t one time have an 800PF on order…but the weight stopped me from getting it…and after trying Steve’s 600TC in Tanzania I confirmed that I made the right choice for me. My other go to youtube guy Hudson Henry recently got the 400/2.8 which with the built in TC and externals gives a nice batch of lengths…but again, too heavy for me to be interested in one…although a 400/560/800/1120 combo for a single lens/body combo is intriguing, but I’m also not gonna pay the price for one even though I could…but it’s more a weight decision than cost.

With all the questions about the equipment, I'm also worried about the weight. In June 2025, I'm going on a photography trip to Zambia. I'm allowed to take 20kg as main luggage and only 5kg for the camera backpack. With my Shimoda x50, the z9, the 180-600, tc1.4, ftz, batteries, memory cards and charger, I'm already at around 8kg. No problem for international flights. I don't really want to pack any other equipment in my main luggage. Does anyone have an idea or should I just wait and see?

I'm going to Zambia in Sept. Backpack is 8kg. My plan is effectively "wait and see". Back-up plan if needed I take out the 400TC and keep with me. As long as your backback doesn't look massive, it should be OK. I have guragear 30L.

I know we're talking big camera bags, but believe @Steve mentioned and I bought one myself and used on my Yellowstone trip (along with the GuraGear 30L), you really have to look at the Chobe. An outstanding buy and great for all kinds of extra stuff.

The 100-400 is excellent…not as sharp at 2:1 in LR as the 600PF but at screen output resolution the differences go away due to downsampling. I find it quite acceptable. I added the 180-600 recently as well…it’s rated a bit better than the 100-400 (and I agree) which is strange since the latter is an S lens…but it is what it is. For me…the 600PF has the TC on most of the time for reach without weight and again it’s far better than adequate…so the 180-600 gives better overall coverage with less gap than the 100-400…albeit at the cost of weight and MFD which the shorter has and it’s outstanding for my close in work which isn’t enough to justify carrying a dedicated macro lens. Which of the zooms I take depends on car vs hike vs length of hike as well as experience at a location because some places 180 is too much lens.

Given my use of the 600PF as the exotic lenses are just more than I would care to carry…if I had to pick just one of the zooms it would be a hard choice…but I would probably slightly favor the 180-600 despite its extra weight. I did t one time have an 800PF on order…but the weight stopped me from getting it…and after trying Steve’s 600TC in Tanzania I confirmed that I made the right choice for me. My other go to youtube guy Hudson Henry recently got the 400/2.8 which with the built in TC and externals gives a nice batch of lengths…but again, too heavy for me to be interested in one…although a 400/560/800/1120 combo for a single lens/body combo is intriguing, but I’m also not gonna pay the price for one even though I could…but it’s more a weight decision than cost.
Thank you Anjin for this helpful and detailed review. I went hiking this weekend and I took the 180-600 and the 24-70 f2.8 in my bag and few accessory. I used all the time 100% the 18-600 handhold. Even I shot with it the sunset and the sun rise and I took some videos handheld I still have to check my photos for sharpness and my videos for mouvement on my big screen. I found it easy to handhol for long time. I am used to shoot my 600 tc handhold , the 180-600 is much lighter than the other one , so it felt really light in my hands.

I am happy to hear that you are happy with the 180-600. The one thing that I don’t like about the 100-400 is the external zoom. Since I have the 70-200 f2.8 with 1.4 tc, it should be ok to cover from 100 to almost 300 mm. I think i will stick with what I have now and wait, maybe Nikon will deliver something better in the future, maybe a 28-300 f2.8.

Your feedback is so much helpful and I thank you a lot
Lina

Lina…yeah, I would rather have internal zooms but then the overall size and weight is bigger. Since you have the 70-200 and 180-600…the only reasons to get the 100-400 are size/weight and the closer MFD it provides. Depending on how far one is walking…what one carries (at least for me) varies.

I am a Sony user and normally run with a 70-200 f2.8 and 200-600 on safari.
Both are great but I also end up taking a third camera for wider shots eg. Elephant/Buffalo herds, scenery shots and in-camp.
Next time I am thinking of going with Tamron 35-150 and Sony 200-600 instead. This would give me a wider option and I could ditch the third body which typically doesn’t get used much. (A bit like kids, once you add a third it all becomes more complicated :LOL: )

Thom Hogan seems to like this Tamron combination but I do so love my 70-200 f2.8….
Decisions, decisions!

Back